Package deals

Re: Package deals

All a package deal is is a set of skills/powers/disads/characteristics that are bought at the normal pricing that you would pay if you just added them yourself to the character. If they have the same ability, but one is better, well, if you have the points take the better one and remove the worse one.

What if two package deals have the same ability but one is better that the other?

Choose whichever of the two you want to reflect the level of training/experience the Character got in that particular skill.

Package Deals are not set-in-stone and they are not all-or-nothing.

Packages aren't classes, they are literally just a bundle of stuff with a common theme. Buy what you want from them, ignore what you don't, don't use them at all, whatever.

Unless of course your GM is placing arbitrary restriction for logical reasons, to enforce story / setting concepts, or just because they want to...such as if they say "all characters must have one and only one RACE Package", or if they say "some Packages can only be taken at character creation (such as cultural Packages)" or "some Packages require GM permission to take" or "some Packages require initiation / acceptance into a specific organization with specific constraints around what that entails", etc etc etc.

A little off topic here, but I think something is missing, or I am missing something. I need to get weapons for my heros. Do I have to use character points on them in a heroic game or what? I have looked at the lists but I am not sure how much cash everything costs. And if I have to use character points, then I am going to have to rethink my characters.:(

In a heroic game, weapons do not cost character points.

In a super-heroic game, typically characters do pay points for their weapons. Of course, if they pick up a machete someone drops, they can use if for a while. But if they want to keep it, it takes points.

So how much does a revolver cost in pulp hero? There is no listing?

For the most part HERO doesn't make a big deal about the precise amounts of money that characters have or what things cost. Wealth totals aren't used as a character balancing factor, as in other "treasure-obsessed" games. ;) There is an optional Money scale for PCs, in the section on Perks in the rulebook, but it's rather abstract. The amount of Encumbrance that carried goods impose on a character is more of a factor during an adventure, although that's generally less important in a pulp game than fantasy where characters wear armor and swords. The biggest game-balance mechanic is the GM saying yes or no to a PC having certain items.

I would recommend that if your pulp character is of a financial status such that he could afford a revolver in the present day, you just let him buy one without haggling over it. :)

Nah, you're just new to this game. Not all RPGs make the same assumptions or organize things the same way.

You're doing the right thing asking questions here. We're happy to answer whatever you need (although we reserve the right to occasionally snicker behind your back). :P

Nah, you're just new to this game. Not all RPGs make the same assumptions or organize things the same way.

You're doing the right thing asking questions here. We're happy to answer whatever you need (although we reserve the right to occasionally snicker behind your back). :P

I do not snicker behind people's backs.

I prefer to laugh in their face so I can see their expressions.