DC ruleset used for modern (non costumed) gaming?

bitter thorn

Re: DC ruleset used for modern (non costumed) gaming?

If you are talking about waiting until 6th ed comes out, personally I wouldn't. 6th will either be a small change easily used with other versions or something completely unrecognizable as HERO. Either way it won't hurt to have a copy of 5th ed. Plus 6th ed is at least a year out.

If you are talking about waiting until 6th ed comes out' date=' personally I wouldn't. 6th will either be a small change easily used with other versions or something completely unrecognizable as HERO. Either way it won't hurt to have a copy of 5th ed. Plus 6th ed is at least a year out.[/quote']

Sounds like I'm buying some books. I'll get DC and Ultimate skills.

What would some of you recomend for other books for a dark and gritty skilled normal game. There will be no magic, aliens, psionics, or supers.

What would some of you recomend for other books for a dark and gritty skilled normal game. There will be no magic, aliens, psionics, or supers.

Well, depending on how much world-building you're doing and the like, the city books are supposed to be good. Otherwise, get a book that just lists all the plethora of guns (blue book of guns, for example), knives, etc. and all that other stuff as reference material (also, just fun to read at times) and have at it. You don't really need a lot. The Dark Champions book is pretty good, and the Ultimate Skill covers most of the rest.

Otherwise, for a "dark and gritty" game, be sure to keep the "festooned with useless gadgets" stuff out, make "shiny and new" akin to the grail, remember that it rains depressingly often, keep a lot of bandages on hand, and make a back alley doctor the excaliber of contacts. =)

If you need to buy a book, Gadgets and Gear is pretty amusing if often over the top. Read Sin City, a lot, and channel Frank Miller. =)

Here is my 2 cents....

Essential

Rulebooks - (at least one) - The HERO System 5th Edition, Revised or HERO System Sidekick

Dark Champions - Genre Book for real world/modern/etc

Should haves

Not essential but very Helpful for the running the type of game you are talking about

The Ultimate Martial Artist

The Ultimate Skill

The Ultimate Vehicle

Nice to have but not required (prebuilt NPC’s, Vehicles, setting, etc)

Hudson City: The Urban Abyss (complete city setting)

Predators (NPC’s)

The HERO System Bestiary (contains many real world animals, also poisons & venom info.)

The HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook (prebuilt vehicles)

Ninja Hero (includes real world weapons and equipment for Asian martial arts oriented NPC/PC’s)

Pulp Hero (contains real world history, gear and equipment from the 1920-39ish) real iffy on this one, but I like the old guns :D

• 2 months later...

I have that book.

Of course, the original working title was Espionage. I got to play it when it was a bunch of copied 8 1/2 x 11" sheets. :yes:

How about "Mercendaries, Spies & Private Eyes"? Did that pre-date Espionage?

How about "Mercendaries' date=' Spies & Private Eyes"? Did that pre-date Espionage?[/quote']

MS&PE is Flying Buffaloes and uses the same mechanics as Tunnels & Trolls. I would have to check my copies when I get home for the copyright, but I am pretty sure Espionage/Danger International came out first. I do remember we all played Top Secret as the system of choice for spy type games. Mostly because the gamemaster preferred that set and was good at it.

MS&PE is Flying Buffaloes and uses the same mechanics as Tunnels & Trolls. I would have to check my copies when I get home for the copyright' date=' but I am pretty sure Espionage/Danger International came out first. I do remember we all played Top Secret as the system of choice for spy type games. Mostly because the gamemaster preferred that set and was good at it.[/quote']

'Struth. The original Espionage rules, which IIRC were called "Soldier of Fortune" came out only a few months after I bought the original blue book. This was the first HERO release after Champions. I was seventeen, so this was twenty-six years ago. My first character was just an embarassing Nick Fury ripoff, more a collection of cliches than anything else.

• 6 months later...

I've been thinking about how do a heroic-level campaign like this for the last few days. Here are some of my ideas.

The PCs won't wear costumes per se, but maybe they will wear a "uniform" like a trenchcoat or fatigues. This will allow them to walk in public without attracting attention. Of course, eventually, the cops and the bad guys will be looking out for someone who dresses like that. Likewise, the PCs may not wear masks. They would more likely wear hoods, hats, or even motorcycle helmets. Ski masks are an option, but that may send the wrong message.

Without superpowers, PC types would be a bit limited. Most would be martial artists. Bricks would be normal humans at peak human strength rather than super strength. Speedsters could be Olympic-level sprinters, but they'd need other skills, especially combat skills. I guess they can be vehicle-based speedsters. Gadgeteers could exist, either using commonly available technology (tasers, guns) or some experimental items not yet released to the public. There are a few links of such items on the boards.

I won't require Code vs. Killing, but there will be consequences if the characters kill someone without justification (or at least without covering their tracks properly).

As for the "hero" ID, maybe the players will come up with the names. Since they're vigilantes, their nicknames would probably be given by the media, the cops, or the criminals they hunt.

What about Everyman?

Bob

Here is my 2 cents....

Essential

Rulebooks - (at least one) - The HERO System 5th Edition, Revised or HERO System Sidekick

Dark Champions - Genre Book for real world/modern/etc

Should haves

Not essential but very Helpful for the running the type of game you are talking about

The Ultimate Martial Artist

The Ultimate Skill

The Ultimate Vehicle

Nice to have but not required (prebuilt NPC’s, Vehicles, setting, etc)

Hudson City: The Urban Abyss (complete city setting)

Predators (NPC’s)

The HERO System Bestiary (contains many real world animals, also poisons & venom info.)

The HERO System Vehicle Sourcebook (prebuilt vehicles)

Ninja Hero (includes real world weapons and equipment for Asian martial arts oriented NPC/PC’s)

Pulp Hero (contains real world history, gear and equipment from the 1920-39ish) real iffy on this one, but I like the old guns :D

I am working on running Hudson City Blues. I want to do a less costumed and more real feel to it. The problem is I do like some of the consumed villains, like the Card Shark organization. I am thinking the PC will pull a mask over their face, or hood of some kind.

I like to start with a little more power. I am giving my players 125 points and 75 in Disadvantages. The can not spend more than 100 on characteristics. I am pushing for lots of KS, SS, AK, and other skills. I like characters with backgrounds and history. They must have a reason for every skill, why do you know this?

No powers. Some of the super skills will be OK. No fire balls or lightning bolts.

Bob

What about Everyman?

Bob

At the time I didn't have that one or hadn't had a chance to read it. I won't recommend something I don't have or haven't read.

But as of now I can say it would be useful in the same manner as Predators, except of course the emphasis is on the law abiding side of things. Lawyers, reporters, office worker, occult expert, comic book store owner and so on. Since Champions is a big part of the Hero'verse, some of the NPC's have tie in's to Supers. For instance there is a Supervillain Defense Attorney. But if you change all the 'supervillain' skills (like Supervillain law) to Corporate or International, you suddenly have a lawyer that specializes in getting the very powerful (money or politics) out of legal problems. These changes are pretty small.

All in all if you need a girlfriend or a housewife fast this is your book ;)

I also really recommend the use of HeroDesigner and picking up the related character packs. Open up the college professor, a couple clicks to change the KS's to the correct field, change the name, and POOF, new NPC...

I am working on running Hudson City Blues. I want to do a less costumed and more real feel to it. The problem is I do like some of the consumed villains, like the Card Shark organization. I am thinking the PC will pull a mask over their face, or hood of some kind.

I like to start with a little more power. I am giving my players 125 points and 75 in Disadvantages. The can not spend more than 100 on characteristics. I am pushing for lots of KS, SS, AK, and other skills. I like characters with backgrounds and history. They must have a reason for every skill, why do you know this?

No powers. Some of the super skills will be OK. No fire balls or lightning bolts.

Bob

Those kinds of games can be a blast. But I would recommend a pre-PC character build brief. Let the players in on a little of the back ground of the campaign and what you can about the known villains and criminal organizations. Also what is or is not available for DNPC's, Hunteds and so on. That will help you to both guide them toward the type of PC's you are looking for as well as give you some extra time to create/fill in gaps to support their character concepts.

Nothing is worse the to sit down and the GM's build and the Player builds to be 180 degrees out of compatibility because each ones definition of the genre is different.

With information from this thread and the character question from Hudson City Blues:

Hudson City Blues

Character Creation Notes

In Dark Champions, the slant is towards reality and less of a four color adventure. There is more pain and death. More of a Batman (not Superman) color. There are little or no powers. Powers might be used to build a “special skill” a player has like Target Hearing or a special weapon but will not be used in general.

It is a costumed vigilante genre, but the PCs don’t have to wear costumes per se, but maybe they will wear a "uniform" like a trench coat or fatigues. This will allow them to walk in public without attracting attention. Of course, eventually, the cops and the bad guys will be looking out for someone who dresses like that. Likewise, the PCs may not wear masks. They would more likely wear hoods, hats, or even motorcycle helmets. Ski masks are an option, but that may send the wrong message.

I won't require Code vs. Killing, but there will be consequences if the characters kill someone without justification (or at least without covering their tracks properly).

As for the "hero" ID, maybe the players will come up with the names. Since they're vigilantes, their nicknames would probably be given by the media, the cops, or the criminals they hunt.

All aspects of the characters skills, powers, abilities and so on must be explained. Use the Background / History and Personal Motive to rationalize what the character has and can do.

Characters built on 125 points and 75 in disadvantages. Target 75 points in characteristics with a max of 100. Round your character out with the different kinds of knowledge skills your character should have from their background. Make your character a person with a personality.

Work

1. What is your characters job?

2. What days of the week does your character work?

3. What is your characters work schedule?

a. Is it consistent?

b.What hours of the day does he work?

4. What would happen if the character went to work:

a. Tired

b. Slightly Injured

c. Significantly Injured

d. Hardly able to move

5. How easy is it for your character to get time off?

Family

1. Does the character have family in Hudson City (DNPC or not)?

2. Do family members live with the Character?

3. What family/significant other obligations does the character have on a:

a. Daily basis

b. Weekly basis

c. Monthly basis

d. Holiday basis

4. What is the characters relationship with his family?

5. Do children ever visit the character’s domicile?

Home and Misc.

1. Where does the character live?

2. What kind of furniture dose the character have?

3. Does the character usually cook meals, eat out or eat pre-prepared meals?

4. Does the character live alone?

5. Does the character know his neighbors?

6. Where does the character store “vigilante” type stuff?

Money

1. Is the character forced to work to pay bill, earn money for good, etc.?

2. What would happen if the character earned no money for a:

a. Day

b. Week

c. Month

d. Three months

e. Year

3. Does the character have enough money to pay for replacement charges, ammunition, for foci and so on?

4. When payment is made for “illegal” things is made, what form does it take?

5. If the payments are in cash, where does the cash come from?

6. Where does the character bank?

Vigilante Activities

1. Briefly describe a typical vigilante “night” out:

2. How does the character move around the city?

3. What does the character do with criminals he apprehends?

4. Describe the character’s vigilante “costume.”

5. What would your character do (while alone) if he was injured for:

a. 1 or 2 body

b. less than half body

c. More then half body

Play

1. What hobbies (if any) does the character have?

2. If the character went to a park, what would he do?

3. If the character spent a quiet day at home, what would he do?

4. Does the character like to read? If so, what authors or books?

5. What group sports does the character like to play (other than beating the snot out of bad guys)?

Background / History

Supply a short background / history for your character.

Personality Motive

What is your characters personality and motive. What drives your character to be a vigilante?