Illegal Cross-Continent Road Race Hero

Marcus Impudite

Recently registered at Hero Central and this is what I'm planning for my first campaign there:

Basically, it's a modern-day normals campaign in which the PCs are involved in a secret and highly illegal road race that runs from Seattle to New York City. The prize: a suitcase containing a sh*tload of cold, hard cash! Each character would be built according to Competent Normal Guildlines and would each be allowed to have any normal, street-legal motor vehicle from TUV and/or Hero System Vehicle Sourcebook within reason (a car, a truck, motorcycle, a van, etc.) at no point cost. PCs who want to work together as a team can have a team of up to 3 persons to a vehicle (if their ride is large enough).

Details I've been roughing out thus far:

Speeding: Naturally, racers who get alittle too lead-footed are likely to run afoul of highway patrol and other law enforcement officers as they pass through different cities, towns, and states. One of the things I foresee myself doing from time-to-time is asking drivers to give me a "Speedometer Check" in MPH and, if they're exeeding the posted speed limit for an area, a roll to see if an officer attempts to pull them over. The roll I figure will be a 10 or less on 3d6 with a Modifier of +1 for every 10 MPH over posted speed limit. What they do when they see the flashing lights in their rear-veiw is up to them, though their actions will have realistic consequences.

Stops: Obviously, the racers will need to make stops from time-to-time for things like refueling, meals, overnight lodging, directions, etc. These times will be be used as opportunities for subplots and possibly a barroom brawl or two.

Weapons: Racers may carry with them any personal weaponry that's within reason for them to own and know how to use, if they wish. Realistic consequences will be enforced if an agent of the law finds them with a loaded handgun in the glove compartment or a trunk full of assault weapons, however...

Comments? Contributions?

Re: Illegal Cross-Continent Road Race Hero

IMO, that's way too high a chance of being pulled over. Not much fun if everyone's in jail, or travelling the speed limit all the time.

What about altered ("souped-up," etc.) vehicles? What about vehicles in neither book?

Oh, and you'd better specifically outlaw vehicles capable of other-than-road travel. ;)

IMO' date=' that's [b']way[/b] too high a chance of being pulled over. Not much fun if everyone's in jail, or travelling the speed limit all the time.

What would you consider a more reasonable roll then? BTW, getting pulled over doesn't automatically mean you'll be going to jail; you may just need to fast-talk your way out of a speeding ticket.

What about altered ("souped-up," etc.) vehicles?

Depends on just how "souped-up" we're talking here. Might make them pay CP if significantly far outside the norm, though maybe make allowances for one or two minor mods if I'm feeling generous.

What about vehicles in neither book?

I would propably have to handle that on a case-by-case basis. Write-ups of anything not in either book will require GM inspection and approval to be allowed in the game. The rule of thumb: no Batmobiles, KITTs, VIPER Defenders, Robotech/Mospeada Cyclones/Ride Armors, etc.

Oh, and you'd better specifically outlaw vehicles capable of other-than-road travel. ;)

I'll consider that.

assuming everybody is probably going to have cell phones and CB radios, GPS type gear... and a concealed radar detector. are you going to set limits on what can be repaired during the race?

for some ideas, find a copy of some of the following movies

Gumball Rally

Cannonball

Cannonball Run and its sequels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash

assuming everybody is probably going to have cell phones and CB radios' date=' GPS type gear... and a concealed radar detector. are you going to set limits on what can be repaired during the race?[/quote']

A good question, though the issue of in-field repairs on items mentioned may be a moot point. The way they build devices like those these days, most of the racers might think it just as well to stop somewhere to procure a replacement (be it through purchase or theft) and then just chuck the broken unit out the window along the way. Now with something like a laptop computer, that may be a different story...

And indeed I like the movies you list as examples, though what I got in mind leans alittle closer to the not-too-long-ago cancelled Fox series Drive.

I've thought of doing something similar, but in a Car Wars/Autoduel setting.

For speeding...in my experience, 10% over the posted speed limit is the typical flow-of-traffic in most places (although I have complained about certain roads around here, where you'll be run over if you drive the speed limit on one particular road, but on the Interstate that connects with this road, speeds drop considerably, to 10 mph below the posted limit), and cops almost never pull someone if that's all they're doing.

If you're hitting 20 mph over the limit (and that's not the flow of traffic in that area) a cop will almost always pull you; this assumes of course that a cop is there. Probably the thing to do is work up different percentages for a cop's presence based on general locale (small hick towns almost always have speed traps; the middle of nowhere doesn't get a whole lot of patrolling), and give an 11- for any given cop to pull a 10-mph-in-excess speeder, and 14- for 15 mph in excess.

friend of mine was a trooper on the chicago tollways for a while, at one point somebody blew by him doing at least 90 in something very expensive and german. after pulling the guy over he asked the guy "all right, let me see your pilots license" the guy says "sure officer" and hands everything over including his pilots license....

he got a warning and let go

I've thought of doing something similar' date=' but in a Car Wars/Autoduel setting.[/quote']

Ah, Car Wars, another of my favorites.

For speeding...in my experience, 10% over the posted speed limit is the typical flow-of-traffic in most places (although I have complained about certain roads around here, where you'll be run over if you drive the speed limit on one particular road, but on the Interstate that connects with this road, speeds drop considerably, to 10 mph below the posted limit), and cops almost never pull someone if that's all they're doing.

I hear you, bro. :)

If you're hitting 20 mph over the limit (and that's not the flow of traffic in that area) a cop will almost always pull you; this assumes of course that a cop is there. Probably the thing to do is work up different percentages for a cop's presence based on general locale (small hick towns almost always have speed traps; the middle of nowhere doesn't get a whole lot of patrolling), and give an 11- for any given cop to pull a 10-mph-in-excess speeder, and 14- for 15 mph in excess.

So, the roll might work out fine if I take into account Mods for locale? Roger that. And on a roll of 18 I could say they lucked out and the state trooper was off in the woods...*ahem* "heeding the call of nature." :D

More Notes:

The Route: As mentioned in the OP, the race runs from Seattle to New York City, but between will be a series of checkpoints the racers must show up at on time or be disqualified. At the starting line on the morning the race starts, they're told where to find the first of those checkpoints and given until sundown that evening to get there. The checkpoint will be at or near a motel where the racers can lodge for the night. The location of the next one will be revealed at breakfast the next morning by Mr. Big's secretary, Belinda. Generally the same drill at the next one, and the one after that, and so forth until they're coming up on the finish line in NYC (Belinda and any of Mr. Big's other representives will be shuttled from checkpoint to checkpoint via helicopter while the racers are on the road). Again, racers who fail to show up at the checkpoints by the time they're supposed to are eleminated from the race and cannot claim the prize money. I just need to pick some good locations for these checkpoints.

Things Start Getting Ugly: Naturally, some of the NPC racers will at some point start resorting to dirty tricks to thin out the competition. The first victim of these cutthroat tactics won't be a PC, of course, but (without giving too much away) it'll be someone they'll sympathize with enough that any of them who aren't completely jaded will be incensed at the guilty party, whoever they may be.

IMO' date=' that's [b']way[/b] too high a chance of being pulled over. Not much fun if everyone's in jail, or travelling the speed limit all the time.

What would you consider a more reasonable roll then? BTW' date=' getting pulled over doesn't automatically mean you'll be going to jail; you may just need to fast-talk your way out of a speeding ticket.[/quote']

Well, since 10- is a 50% chance...

I think it would depend on a per-distance basis. How far apart are you planning to have these rolls?

BTW, if a character does talk his/her way out of a ticket, it will still take 15-45 minutes. Probably would've done better to stay at the speed limit. Also, any "warning" a character gets will be told to every cop for miles around, so there will be no chance of getting out of a ticket the second time, unless the character doesn't speed for a good 100-200 miles. As well, if a character gets a ticket anywhere, all cops throughout the USA will find out if they run his/her license number, or the license-plate number. Thus, he/she will almost certainly be thrown in jail if pulled over in a time/place that would've required speeding to get to, from where the first pull-over/ticket was received.

Thus, I'd highly recommend a base "pull over" chance of no higher than 6- (~9.3%), and raise by 1 every full 15% over the posted limit---a percentage is better than a flat amount as it reflects how cops are likely to react (going 85 in a 70 zone on the freeway will raise fewer problems than going 35 in a 20 school zone).

What about altered ("souped-up' date='" etc.) vehicles?[/quote']

Depends on just how "souped-up" we're talking here. Might make them pay CP if significantly far outside the norm' date=' though maybe make allowances for one or two minor mods if I'm feeling generous.[/quote']

What about vehicles in neither book?

I would propably have to handle that on a case-by-case basis. Write-ups of anything not in either book will require GM inspection and approval to be allowed in the game. The rule of thumb: no Batmobiles' date=' KITTs, VIPER Defenders, Robotech/Mospeada Cyclones/Ride Armors, etc.[/quote']

Heh, I'll settle for slightly souping up a compact SUV. Lots of room in back for one driver to sleep while the other one is driving, a vice versa. :sneaky:

Oh' date=' and you'd better specifically outlaw vehicles capable of other-than-road travel. ;)[/quote']

I'll consider that.

Especially the ones that can convert from car to airplane. :sneaky:

More Notes:

The Route: As mentioned in the OP, the race runs from Seattle to New York City, but between will be a series of checkpoints the racers must show up at on time or be disqualified. At the starting line on the morning the race starts, they're told where to find the first of those checkpoints and given until sundown that evening to get there. The checkpoint will be at or near a motel where the racers can lodge for the night. The location of the next one will be revealed at breakfast the next morning by Mr. Big's secretary, Belinda. Generally the same drill at the next one, and the one after that, and so forth until they're coming up on the finish line in NYC (Belinda and any of Mr. Big's other representives will be shuttled from checkpoint to checkpoint via helicopter while the racers are on the road). Again, racers who fail to show up at the checkpoints by the time they're supposed to are eleminated from the race and cannot claim the prize money. I just need to pick some good locations for these checkpoints.

I like the idea of "checkpoints"; of places that have to be hit, in the correct order. You could place one or more in remote-ish locales, so that the competitors have to be good at more than straight-line zooming. Locations that require going on twisty, hilly, etc., roads would shake things up a bit; make the race more than a repeat of the Cannonball Runs (real and fictional).

However, the "must stay overnight" bit just kills it for me. That just doesn't fit the genre (more of a sub-sub-genre, really). It's no longer a long, hard, hairy slog from one place to another, but a series of short dashes, just 6, 8, maybe up to 10 hours at a time. It's a completely different feel. I can see some characters dismissing it as "nothin' but one a dem fancy-pants road rallies."

I'd recommend keeping the checkpoints, but just as someplace each racer has to reach to find out the next checkpoint. No disqualifying for reaching "late" (leaves the chance of "come from behind victory" open--good RPing possibilities there), and no requirement to stay in one place for X hours. You get to a checkpoint, prove you're you, and get the location of the next checkpoint. After that, you can stay awhile, or take off immediately.

This does mean a team of two (maybe more) with a car that's comfortable to sleep in has an advantage. ;)

Things Start Getting Ugly: Naturally' date=' some of the NPC racers will at some point start resorting to dirty tricks to thin out the competition. The first victim of these cutthroat tactics won't be a PC, of course, but (without giving too much away) it'll be someone they'll sympathize with enough that any of them who aren't completely jaded will be incensed at the guilty party, whoever they may be.[/quote']

Well, with your idea, the obvious crime is to kidnap Belinda and find out the checkpoints in advance. :sneaky:

That's "one of dem fancy-pants illegal road rallies." ;)

As for short, easy 6 Hour dashes... With a suitcase full of big ones as the prize? No way, José. This isn't The Amazing Race. Mr. Big, the mastermind behind all this, has plans to make things far more interesting then that, I can assure you. Note: don't read the following spoiler if you think you might sign up for the campaign:

Mr. Big has secretly hired a number of outlaw motorcycle gangs and a wide selection of other shady characters to lay in wait along the various legs of the rally and has given them all carte blanche to screw with the racers as they see fit. If you reply to this in your next post, please use spoiler tags to preserve the surprise for those who will be signing up.

As for the overnights, these are meant as opportunities for subplots and any other little surprises I might feel like springing on the PCs. IOW, they may not being getting the peaceful night's rest they were expecting....

However' date=' the "must stay overnight" bit just kills it for me. That just doesn't fit the genre (more of a sub-sub-genre, really). It's no longer a long, hard, hairy slog from one place to another, but a series of short dashes, just 6, 8, maybe up to 10 hours at a time. It's a completely different feel. I can see some characters dismissing it as "nothin' but one a dem fancy-pants road rallies."[/quote']

Not quite... it sort of fits, for the more "fancy-pants road rallies" - in "Those Magnificent Men And Their Jaunty Jalopies" this is the case with several of the stops on the road to Monty Carlo (or something like that). However, I could see an underground road rally doing this to keep a semi-even playing field (and to keep tabs on the participants).

Plus, it gives the PCs an opportunity to interact with other teams when they're not on the road, as well as giving opportunities for various dirty tricks on both sides. :sneaky:

• 2 weeks later...

assuming everybody is probably going to have cell phones and CB radios, GPS type gear... and a concealed radar detector. are you going to set limits on what can be repaired during the race?

for some ideas, find a copy of some of the following movies

Gumball Rally

Cannonball

Cannonball Run and its sequels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannonball_Baker_Sea-To-Shining-Sea_Memorial_Trophy_Dash

How 'bout Deathrace 2000.