Martial Art For Review

clsage

As the subject line says, here's an initial attempt at a martial art build:

---The Pathfinders Way---

Cost Martial Arts Maneuver

4 1) Body Shift: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 2) Block: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Block, Abort

4 3) Pattern Strike: 1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +2 DCV, Weapon +2 DC Strike, Must Follow Block

4 4) Punch: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, +2d6 Strike

4 5) Nerve Strike: 1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, +1 DCV, 2d6 NND

4 6) Choke Hold: 1/2 Phase, -2 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab One Limb; 2d6 NND

5 7) Takeaway: 1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, Grab Weapon, 10 STR to take weapon away

3 8) Takedown: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Weapon Strike; Target Falls

0 9) Weapon Element: Empty Hand

1 10) Weapon Element: Blades

1 11) Weapon Element: Clubs

1 12) Weapon Element: Staffs

Cost: 35

I am considering using it for a package deal for a group of "scout/courier" types so my philosophy behind the build is that the maneuvers are of a type to "clear the way" as it were. Most of it is a combo of Escrima and Krav Maga ....It's a bit pricey and I suspect that I have some redundant maneuvers in it so any input and or recommendations would be welcome.

I'm attaching a copy of my current HD3 prefab for this as well......

Thanks.

-Carl-

Re: Martial Art For Review

The Choke Hold clashes with the "clear the way" philosophy a bi' date=' IMHO - it forces the pathfinder to stay in one place choking his opponent instead of clearing him out of the way and moving on.[/quote']

Hmmmm......Interesting point. :think:

-Carl-

True' date=' but it comes in handy at times, so I'd keep it. And perhaps add a kick maneuver as well.[/quote']

Something I have (and still am) definitely considering. And speaking of thing that come in handy....Anyone have any thoughts on skills that should accompany the martial arts maneuvers ? Obvious ones are such things as:

WF: Blades, Clubs, Staffs

Breakfall

But given the nature of the package I am thinking that there should be some more esoteric skills too.....Just not sure what.....Maybe some sort of Physiology skill to account for knowledge of the nerve clusters from the NND attacks ? I mean, the scout package will include Navigation and such... :think:

More thoughts ? And thanks for the input so far. It's much appreciated.

-Carl-

Block uses OCV to be defensive. Every little bit helps. (It is, also, perhaps the most vital martial maneuver there is, since block is pretty potent.)

Is there any restriction about making a move-by martial maneuver? Cuz that could really come in handy. frankly, the creation process of Martial Arts always seemed a little non-transparent compared to much about Hero.

The Choke Hold clashes with the "clear the way" philosophy a bit' date=' IMHO - it forces the pathfinder to stay in one place choking his opponent instead of clearing him out of the way and moving on.[/quote']

True' date=' but it comes in handy at times, so I'd keep it. And perhaps add a kick maneuver as well.[/quote']

I tend to agree that the choke hold clashes with the 'quick' theme of the style. I don't believe there is a neck break type manuver, but that would probably fit better.

Something I have (and still am) definitely considering. And speaking of thing that come in handy....Anyone have any thoughts on skills that should accompany the martial arts maneuvers ?
With the "clearing the way" philosophy, perhaps some CSLs with the Sweep maneuver. Maybe buy Rapid HtH. Defense Maneuver (any amount), Combat Sense.

Instead of, or perhaps in addition to the Sweep, the Follow Through Attack Talent might be useful.