Zodiac: Martial Artist Master Villain

Charlon

I had an idea a while back that occurred to me when I was skimming through some sourcebooks. To my knowledge there is no 'master villain' that fills the martial arts niche. So, being adventurous, I took it upon myself to create one. What I've got so far is the concept of it. An impossibly aged (although young in appearance) Chinese Kung Fu master of the Zodiac style (a 'cosmic-chi' based style of all types) with power comparable to Mechanon. I've tried a lot of different ideas, but I've hit several road blocks in the construction and don't know how to proceed. If anybody has any tips as to how to make this guy any better It would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Zodiac: Martial Artist Master Villain

I had an idea a while back that occurred to me when I was skimming through some sourcebooks. To my knowledge there is no 'master villain' that fills the martial arts niche.

Dr Yin Wu kinda fills this role. He's a bit more of a sorcerer/alchemist than a martial arts master, but he's insanely powerful and his kung fu is pretty good ;)

As far as actually making the character, UMA and Ninja HERO should do you well for tips.

He has superhuman skill with martial arts, so what can he do?

Watch some martial arts flicks and/or TV shows for ideas of crazy techniques that he knows.

You could also basically make him Karate Kid... gone bad!

On the other hand, he is a martial artist (i.e. "Eastern" presumably) called "Zodiac" so he probably should have either powers or/and stances based around each sign and/or element.

He could also have 12 master students who have mastered 1 of each of his twelve styles, which provides greater potential if they are spread over the world.

Here's the Chinese Zodiac posted here for reference:

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Hare

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Sheep

Monkey

Rooster

Dog

Boar

Interesting. I didn't think of giving him those kind of followers, but it does sounds like a good idea. Something like having the leader's of the Factions then the subordinates package deals. I guess I should work in how he was connected to the Yengtao Temple if that fits his concept (though it undoubtedly does).

Good idea on followers for his students.

You may want to create Martial Arts Packages for each style, then build the underlings, then the Master Students/Lieutenants, and then finally Zodiac himself.

He could practically be the Tyrannon of Martial Arts in a way.

OK. True. Then all of those look like very viable "styles" and motifs for a lieutenant of Zodiac to use.

I'm liking the sound of this quite a bit.

It could be that Zodiac wants to control the martial world, like an overblown "Han" from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon.

OK. True. Then all of those look like very viable "styles" and motifs for a lieutenant of Zodiac to use.

I'm liking the sound of this quite a bit.

It could be that Zodiac wants to control the martial world, like an overblown "Han" from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon.

Yes, go with this; you can't go wrong with Enter the Dragon.:smoke:

I decided to give him a base of operations. The place is translated in English as 'Else-Heaven.' It's a small heaven-like dimension that he conquered. It used to be ruled by a dragon named Lian Feng until Zodiac killed him and made his Palace into his home. The other motive for this was to gain The Black Metal Blade from Chinese legend in the Dragon's hoard. This is getting fun.

If you are on the fence, then how about making equally good at both sides?

Don't forget that "Master Villain" usually means that they can take a team of PC's, and it's best to assume 350 CP, 60 AP PC's.

That means that he should be capable of taking out CV 12 PC's and can shrug off their 12 DC's with relative ease at least on a 1-on-1 combat.

My friend once had an "Ancient Master" style martial artist. The old guy could rend steel with his fists, dodge bullets, always seemed to roll out of the way to take less damage.

The write up?

STR 10/60 (+50 STR, not for lifting, 0End)

Dex 18

Con 30

PD 10/35 (Invisible Power effects)

ED 10 /35(Invisible Power effects)

it was all in the way it was described. :)

And I might be wrong on the strength, It might have just been a straight 60 STR and he had a physical limitation that negated the bulk of the lifting power.

To simulate sign-based sub-styles, use the Kung Fu package from UMA and select the most appropriate maneuvers, renaming them at will.

Probably conceive at least one unique superhuman technique for each sub-style, of which each Master Student has at full power, while Zodiac has it at either the same level (making him powerful because he has them all at his disposal) or stronger (he did teach them after all).

I also think that Zodiac could very well be a Martial Artist that has sparse Martial Maneuvers, instead utilizing Powers to simulate his mastery of all styles.

Another inspiration I just thought of is Master Chiun from The Destroyer series.

AFAIK it's true that there is no martial artist "master villain" in the current official Champions Universe. Dr. Yin Wu is certainly a competent MA, but he's far more a master of Chinese sorcery. Earlier editions of Champions did better in that regard (Lung Hung and Emperor Crane spring to mind). So this is certainly a niche worth filling, and your concept seems solid. :thumbup:

Speaking of earlier editions, the 4E sourcebook Watchers of the Dragon gave us the Jade Tiger, acknowledged the world's greatest martial artist (sometimes a hero, but more often neutral). He had a VPP that was Limited only to Martial Arts Maneuvers and Powers. Given the scope of your proposed character, that might be the most efficient way to build him.

In regards to Powers, perhaps it would pay to look up the qualities attributed to people born in each year of the Chinese Zodiac, and build Powers for this villain based on those qualities.

One idea that popped into my head is some sort of 'immortality' factor for him. I guess this could be explained through his Ch'i making him very young and healthy, and him having enough of it to stop himself from dying. Anybody think this should be changed?

Yes, according to Chinese legend, Kung Fu masters with perfectly balanced Chi can live forever.

This also gives a perfect excuse as to why he's such a master of the martial arts: he's been around so long that he had time to master them all!

What if the techniques associated with each sign grow stronger when their year comes around?

This could also have a revolving door policy on who his right-hand man/woman is as well.

For example, this being the year of the Rat right now (and how appropriate to start it off), Zodiac's Rat techniques are at their strongest right now, and so are his Rat student's techniques as well.