A Multiform Power Suit

Nagisawa Takumi

Now, I have this character I was playing for only three or for sessions about 5-6 years ago, and I want to dust him off and rework him.

You might have seen the MACH 5 thing I drop on some threads, but the goal I want is how to make a Multiform Power Armour on 350 pts.

The original suit had one basic form because in Hero 4th none of us knew how to work multiform at all.

But in 5th, I want to have three or four seperate 'modes' for the Suit. Not sure how many points I want spent on the suit itself, but the basic framework has all the usual Iron Man rip off bits. Flight, energy based weapons, mini-missiles and super strength and tank level armour. That's the base form. What I'm looking for is how to replicate various modes, like a 'Flight mode' where all power is shunted over to propulsion and protection from elements. An artillery mode, where all energy is focused into ranged combat. Maybe a close range mode, or super defensive one. And finally a balanced mode, which is the MACH 5 base and general utility form.

But how, that's what getting me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Re: A Multiform Power Suit

But in 5th, I want to have three or four seperate 'modes' for the Suit. Not sure how many points I want spent on the suit itself, but the basic framework has all the usual Iron Man rip off bits. Flight, energy based weapons, mini-missiles and super strength and tank level armour. That's the base form. What I'm looking for is how to replicate various modes, like a 'Flight mode' where all power is shunted over to propulsion and protection from elements. An artillery mode, where all energy is focused into ranged combat. Maybe a close range mode, or super defensive one. And finally a balanced mode, which is the MACH 5 base and general utility form.

But how, that's what getting me.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just for me, but I would probably lean more towards a multipower with some multi slots and some ultra slots. And limit some of the powers to only being used in certain combinations by using the ultra slots and the Lockout limitation.....

Just my slightly more than $.02US. YMMV. :D

-Carl-

Fair enough, either mind building an example for me as an example?

Only limit is it has to be no more than 200pts. total for the power set.

I'm one of those guys who needs an example to work from.

Hmmmmmmm.....:think:

Work and such are difficult to design around, but give me a few days or so to see what I can come up with.

-Carl-

I built this once for a high-powered game. Intense skill-base to powered suit. More suits would just be gilding the lily, I think. Spending that many points on an "outer space suit" when Life Support is so cheap? Unless you want a Hulkbuster, with all points into armor, STR and CON with nothing left over for extras. Scout suit, with all the senses and high speed? Marauder, with the big guns? Could get expensive without necessarily being allowed as overpowered.

Unless you want a Hulkbuster' date=' with all points into armor, STR and CON with nothing left over for extras. Scout suit, with all the senses and high speed? Marauder, with the big guns? Could get expensive without necessarily being allowed as overpowered.[/quote']

This is the sorta stuff I'm looking for the MACH 5.

Life Support, some armour, basic superstrength and some weapons is the basic suit. This is core part. But as a Super Bounty Hunter he needs some sort of variety to deal with certain foes.

Some villains have superstrength/toughness and are highly energy resistant, so he needs a 'Hulk Buster' mode, while others are too dangerous to approach and fight hand to hand, so he'll need an extreme range mode to deal with them.

The whole point of the MACH 5 is to be versatile enough to adapt to most major types of supers Hal has to face in his job as a U.S. Government Bounty Hunter.

And Multiform with a Hulk Buster, 'Marauder' and 'Scout' modes (As you call them) are what I'm trying to make, it's just I need help.

If the character doesn't have different skills and disadvantages in his alternate form' date=' I find Multi-form to be too much trouble to bother with. Multipower does the trick if all you are doing is rearranging your power suite.[/quote']

Here's the thing, his stats change in each form, like the Tank Buster mode, strength is increased, armour is reinforced with a forcefield and the general integrety of the suit is toughened. However Flight is comprimised and most of the weapons (Short of the micro missile launcher in each wrist) are offline as everything is focused into a Brick.

The Flight Mode shifts the armour's plating to cover every port and open space that might cause extra drag while the forcefield changes to resist heat due to friction from a small man like object flying at MACH 2 speeds.

So on and so forth.

I actualy had a character similar to this once' date=' never got to play him, but I built him with a basic suit (Real basic) and then a VPP only changable in the lab, wish I had got to play him...[/quote']

This is where I don't want to go, though. The modes of the suit can be activated with a toggle and take a total of 3 seconds to effect. Plates shift, power is rerouted, all of it's done by the suit. If anyone played the game 'Crysis' that's the sort of idea, just more Iron Man like.

And do you have any idea how expensive that'd be as a VPP?

No?

Me neither, but it's too much probably.

Here's the thing, his stats change in each form, like the Tank Buster mode, strength is increased, armour is reinforced with a forcefield and the general integrety of the suit is toughened. However Flight is comprimised and most of the weapons (Short of the micro missile launcher in each wrist) are offline as everything is focused into a Brick.

Uh-hunh. That's the kind of thing you can do with a multipower, maybe cheaper than multiform.

Mind you, I have no idea what your campaign standards are, so his numbers might be waaaay off. Anyway, I generally write up street-level heroes on 500 points or more, so paring it down to 350 isn't something I'm used to.

This should give you a general idea of how you can use multipowers as a partial multiform. It's pretty rough, since I threw it together in about twenty minutes.

MACH-5

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10/35 STR 0 11- / 16- Lift 100.0kg/3200.0kg; 2d6/7d6

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

15/25 CON 10 12- / 14-

11 BODY 2 11-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

11 EGO 2 11- ECV: 4

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 1/2d6

10 COM 0 11-

4/29 PD 2 Total: 4/29 PD (0/20 rPD)

4/26 ED 1 Total: 4/26 ED (0/20 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

5/12 REC 0

30/50 END 0

24/42 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 69

Movement: Running: 6"/12"

Flight: 10"/20"

Leaping: 2"/4"

Swimming: 2"/4"

Cost Powers END

7 Active Electro-Gravitic Interception System (AEGIS): Force Field (5 PD/5 ED) (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 1

8 Communications Suite: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

13 Hardened Systems: +10 CON (20 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

4 Heavy Metal: Knockback Resistance -3" (6 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

3 Nightvision Scope: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (5 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

17 Power Assist: +25 STR (25 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 2

13 Rocket Boots: Flight 10" (20 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 2

13 Sealed Systems: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (19 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

6 Telescopic Visor: +6 versus Range Modifier for Hearing Group (9 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

30 Tritanium Plating: Armor (15 PD/15 ED) (45 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

26 Variable Configuration: Multipower, 45-point reserve, (45 Active Points); Limited Slot Configuration (-1/4); all slots OIF (Armor; -1/2)

1u 1) A-Type: Maneuverability: +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

2u 2) A-Type: Overdrive Flight: Flight + 10", x4 Noncombat, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (31 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 1

2u 3) B-Type: External Heat Sinks: +50 END (25 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

1u 4) B-Type: Overdrive AEGIS: Force Field (5 PD/5 ED) (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 1

1u 5) B-Type: Targeting Computer: +2 with Ranged Combat (10 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

3u 6) C-Type: Superheavy Plating: Armor (12 PD/12 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (45 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

46 Weapons Systems: Multipower, 80-point reserve, (80 Active Points); all slots OIF (Armor; -1/2), Slot Configuration Limited to Armor Mode (-1/4)

5u 9) A-Type: Defensive Blaster: Energy Blast 10d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (75 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2)

5u 10) A/B-Type: Variable Blaster: Energy Blast 8d6, Variable Advantage (+1/2 Advantages; +1) (80 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 8

5u 11) B-Type: Mega Blaster: Energy Blast 16d6 (80 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2) 8

3u 12) B-Type: Missle Launcher: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6+1 (80 Active Points); 6 Charges (-3/4), OIF (Armor; -1/2) [6]

2u 13) C-Type: Overdrive Booster: +35 STR, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), OIF (Armor; -1/2) 1

2u 6) C-Type: Plasma Fist: Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 70 Active Points of STR (35 Active Points); OIF (Armor; -1/2), Slot Configuration Limited to Armor Mode (-1/4) 3

Perks

6 Government Agent: Contact: The Feds, Organization Contact (x3) (6 Active Points) 11-

Talents

6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)

Skills

8 +1 with All Combat

10 +1 Overall

3 Combat Driving 13-

3 Combat Piloting 13-

3 Electronics 13-

3 Inventor 13-

3 Mechanics 13-

3 Scientist

2 1) SS: Electrogravitics 13- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Plasma Power Systems 13- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Robotics 13- (3 Active Points)

3 Stealth 13-

3 Tactics 13-

3 Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons, Missiles & Rockets) 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 281

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Hunted: Rogues Gallery 11- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: US Government 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Watching)

115 Demon On Wheels Bonus

Total Disadvantage Points: 350

I have wondered about the same sort of thing, only with creating a multiform weapon for Fantasy Hero rather than a Power Suit for Champions.

I realised that the problem with using Multiform is that, because with Multiforrm you have to pay for ALL of the character (even those bits that don't change), a 75pt character would end up paying less for the weapon than a 300pt character.

I like the idea of using a Multipower with 'Limited Slot Configuration (-1/4)' as a simple solution.

It's a great job, Braincraft, thanks! :king: However, the only issue I have is a personal one.

The setup up is confusing to my eyes, I'm having a hard time to parse it, which is partially the reason I was going with Multiform. That way each mode would have it's own 'sheet' for me to look at. :doi:

Still, it's damn good!:thumbup:

Re: Or "Mack Five"

"Automatic Jack" would be an awesome name for a superhero.

Your wish is my command:

AutomaticJackBronson.png

History: "Automatic" Jack Bronson was your typical prodigy. A brainy kid who used to get picked on in the schoolyards of life, until a Grade 6 Science project brought him to the attention of the news world. Having made a Force Field generator from basic electronics, he rocketed from the backyard of midwest U.S.A to MIT in a few years.

Sadly though, his natural tendancy to be lazy meant he nearly took twice as long to get his PHD in Physics. Until he met his first Superhero. Defender was polite and encouraging, having heard about this young man, and this changed Automatic Jack (A nickname due to his ability to automate all tasks while solving rather difficult problems.)

So gathering his notes, and his knowledge of Wave Mechanics and Particle Physics, he created a pair of gauntlets that can create forcefields and amplify his kinetics, increasing his strength and making him as tough as a tank, with some other features. He then chose his costume, which sadly hasn't changed despite some warnings from the local 'fashion police'. And so was now ready to fight crime.

Or so he thought. Unfortunately a thumping by Grond made him realize that although the Power Grips (As he called them) made him strong and tough, he simply didn't have the mass to stand toe to toe with larger foes. And so enrolled himself into several martial arts schools and spent a year in training.

Finally, at the tender age of 22, he's ready to hit the streets again.

Personality: Jack is used to fame, ever since he made an invisible wall using light bulbs, an old VCR, a Commodore Vic20 and the left overs of an old ATX power supply, he's had his life in the public eye. However, he's a good natured young man, although he doesn't care much for those who bully. He doesn't have a secret ID, his parents having the same amount of popularity means they're as safe as they can be, so he doesn't worry too much about them.

Physical stature: He stands a whopping 5' 9" and weighs in at about 155lbs. Before his physical training he was a weed, thing and slightly underweight, now he's filled out some, although he's no where near what most athletes reach. His martial arts training, which he continues to this day, is layering his frame with more muscle and confidence.

I'll get to his stats when I'm more awake.