Terrible Movie or Awesome Back Story

Certified

So the basic premise is fairly straight forward. What movie characters are so over the top they can just be ported over to a Super Heroic universe or alternatively what plots are better suited for spandex than the big screen?

Some Examples:

Character: The One: After a dimension hopping alternate self kills off every other version of themselves, each time growing stronger. In the end only two versions of the self remain one good one evil. As the killer self is imprisoned the hero is stranded in an unfamiliar dimension.

This is got to be one of the easiest to fit the premise it eve comes with a Hunted a Watched and DNPC.

Plot: Plan 9 From Outer Space: Aliens are abducting the dead to prepare for invasion.

Cult classic and weird enough it can be slipped into almost any comic.

Anyone got other examples or builds?

Re: Terrible Movie or Awesome Back Story

I was just watching Underworld: Evolution on DVD last night. By the end of that film Selene and Michael have both evolved beyond their horror-monster roots and are almost superheroes. The vampire-lycan war that dominated the first film seems to have largely fallen off the radar, and most of the monsters who were after the two protagonists are dead, leaving them relatively free to pursue other goals.

Guest steamteck

So the basic premise is fairly straight forward. What movie characters are so over the top they can just be ported over to a Super Heroic universe or alternatively what plots are better suited for spandex than the big screen?

Some Examples:

Character: The One: After a dimension hopping alternate self kills off every other version of themselves, each time growing stronger. In the end only two versions of the self remain one good one evil. As the killer self is imprisoned the hero is stranded in an unfamiliar dimension.

This is got to be one of the easiest to fit the premise it eve comes with a Hunted a Watched and DNPC.

[

I used that one with a long ( decades) established NPC (who was one of the toughest around and really basically evil who did good to help her PC friends )was killing herself off across the dimensions and destabilizing everything while sparking a massive kill off amongst all herselfs as dozens of Fionas sought out dozens more to kill them in a highlander gathering type progression The PCs had to stop this while trying to protect "their Fiona" who was one of the worst offenders even though the goddess Athena was hunting her down. It kicked off my present multiverse campaign which contains in it my sci-fi, fantasy and supers worlds.

It could be argued that Star Wars 1-3 were better as a backstory to Darth Vader than they were as actual movies.:D

I agree completely. I think the problem with those movies is there are too many laser fights and there just aren't enough characters that you care about. Anakin? I don't care about him...not as Anakin. Obi-Wan? Nah. The originals had Luke, Han, Leia, the droids (who felt like they did not fit with the first films), Chewy, later Lando etc.

So I would agree that the backstory of Vader works but the films are over the top.

BTW, saw the Clone Wards today..... ugh. It's bad. It's Batman and Robin bad.

That bad?! :idjit:sick.gif

If only the actors had seen fit to correct Lucas on how their characters would act. Like when Harrison Ford told Lucas that there was no way Han would respond to Leia's cry of "I love you!" (just before he got frozen) with "I love you too." Ford knew it just wasn't in character.

So we got the famous reply, "I know." :thumbup:

Lucas got so big over the past 30 years, people working with him are afraid to tell him when he's wrong anymore.:(

Guest Major Tom

There's a few characters that I can think of who wouldn't be difficult to port

over into a super-campaign, two of which come from the films of Kurt Wimmer,

and the other from a Toby Emmerich film.

The first character is Grammaton Cleric John Preston from the post-apocalyptic

film Equilibrium. His training and skill with the "Gun-kata" technique, coup-

led with his ability to rapidly eliminate large numbers of opponents in very close-

quarters combat, bring him as close to being superhuman as is possible for a

human being to be.

The second character is, if anything, even easier to incorporate into a super-

hero campaign since she actually has low-level superhuman abilities, as

well as access to advanced technology (dimensional storage space for her

weapons, as well as gravitic technology that enables her to either walk on

walls or ceilings -- or, if on a motorcycle, to ride on the sides of buildings in

either the horizontal or vertical planes). Add to that her ability with a katana-

type sword, and you've got someone who's even scarier than Cleric Preston.

I refer, of course, to the vampiric anti-heroine Violet from the film Ultraviolet.

The third and final character is, perhaps, better suited to a Dark Champions

campaign than to a four-color superhero game, but is no less dangerous than

the preceding examples. The character in question is Mr. Smith (no other name

is known, or has been discovered), the anti-hero from the film Shoot 'Em Up.

A crack shot with any firearm, he is also expert in the use of booby-traps

and improvised weaponry (this has included, on occasion, one of his ever-pres-

ent carrots -- if you think I'm kidding about this part, just watch the opening

minutes of the film), and it has been hinted that at some point in his past, he

was part of a "black ops" unit working for the U.S. government.

Major Tom :bmk:

why not use the further adventures of jonathan cross aka the jaguar [from the jaguar lives]

an agent of antidrug agency g-6 and expert at taekwando jaguar returns to the agency after uncovering the "killing of the kings"[from the movie] conspiracy led by his former partner brett barrett aka the cougar

Here's one I thought of while on the way home today:

Both the premise of and characters of The Last Action Hero, specifically Death should he find the other half of the ticket.

In the same vein, does anyone remeber a horrible 80s horror movie called Shocker . A crazed serial killer--is there any other kind--is transformed into a sort of electricity elemental through a mixture of dark sorcery and the electric chair.

He has the ability to travel through phone lines and over broadcast signals. In the finale of the film, he has a running battle with the hero through a set of landscapes based on whatever program is on the TV they are currently inside.

It was a cool set pice and I always thought that he would make a great Champions villain. I think I would call it Extra Dimensional Travel, Usable As An Attack.

EDIT: Isn't You Tube great. I found just what I was talking about.