Hancock's STR

Susano

Let's see... stands there and stops a fully-loaded freight train by letting it hit him. A little web search shows that a 60-car train can weigh in at 4,840 tons. Or 484 ktons. Which is roughly 120 STR.

Or... a gray whale is around 36 tons. That's 53 STR right there. Hancock tossed it... uhm... 2-3 football fields, which is 600-900 yards or so. That's roughly 300 meters, or 150 inches.

EDIT -- Well, it was late and I was tired. 1 yard = 1 meter (roughly), so 2-3 football fields is 600-900 yard and/or meters. Or 300-450 game inches.

It was a Standing Throw and he needs... (checks the chart). Yeah, that won't work. 200 STR is a bit much.

*checks the Realistic Throwing Tables in TUB*

Okay, a 65 STR can toss 36 Tons 1,000 feet. So... either he's 65-70 STR, or he's 120 STR. Splitting the two gives me 93 STR. Considering the rest of his powers (supersonic flight, 40 PD or so, immortal), I say 'why not 120?'

More to follow. :sneaky:

Re: Hancock's STR

Can't you also use Flight to resist Knockback? He's got a significant amount of Flight to add to his STR.

Yeah, what he said. he's not lifting the train, just stopping it. Heh. "just" stopping it. That said, the 90-120 range seems reasonable.

cheers, Mark

Can't you also use Flight to resist Knockback? He's got a significant amount of Flight to add to his STR.

It's worded such that it sounds like you need to be flying to use it, not just standing there. Hancock's flight has some obvious Side Effects, so I'd argue against him using it in that scene.

Let's see... stands there and stops a fully-loaded freight train by letting it hit him. A little web search shows that a 60-car train can weigh in at 4,840 tons. Or 484 ktons. Which is roughly 120 STR.

Or... a gray whale is around 36 tons. That's 53 STR right there. Hancock tossed it... uhm... 2-3 football fields, which is 600-900 yards or so. That's roughly 300 meters, or 150 inches. It was a Standing Throw and he needs... (checks the chart). Yeah, that won't work. 200 STR is a bit much.

*checks the Realistic Throwing Tables in TUB*

Okay, a 65 STR can toss 36 Tons 1,000 feet. So... either he's 65-70 STR, or he's 120 STR. Splitting the two gives me 93 STR. Considering the rest of his powers (supersonic flight, 40 PD or so, immortal), I say 'why not 120?'

More to follow. :sneaky:

Throwing the whal didn't have to be at full STR, he was just trying to return it to the water. 70 casual STR?

Throwing the whal didn't have to be at full STR' date=' he was just trying to return it to the water. 70 casual STR?[/quote']

If you presume a gray whale to be 36 tons (lets round up to 40 for ease of math), it takes 53 STR to get it to your ankles. 58 to your waist and 63 STR over your head. Using the TUB chart, 65 sounds good as a minimum STR for Hancock. Stopping the train takes some doing, though. As I said, that's something like 3,000-4,000 tons for a fully-loaded train.

If you presume a gray whale to be 36 tons (lets round up to 40 for ease of math)' date=' it takes 53 STR to get it to your ankles. 58 to your waist and 63 STR over your head. Using the TUB chart, 65 sounds good as a minimum STR for Hancock. Stopping the train takes some doing, though. As I said, that's something like 3,000-4,000 tons for a fully-loaded train.[/quote']Game effect however is the train performing a move-through and failing to do any knockback. While it may not look it, initially, Hancock could be seen to be bracing against the impending knockback, but like with so much that he does, the SFX makes it look casual.

Game effect however is the train performing a move-through and failing to do any knockback. While it may not look it' date=' initially, Hancock could be seen to be bracing against the impending knockback, but like with so much that he does, the SFX makes it look casual.[/quote']

And how much damage does a 50-60 car train do at 20 km/hr?

Let's say the train has a STR of 80 to haul all that weight. With a speed of 3 and 21" of movement' date=' it can travel at 37 kph, so it's doing a 23d6 move-through.[/quote']

Except 80 STR may (or may not) let you pull 3,000-4,000 tons. And to negate 23" of KB, you need... 115 STR.

120 might not be all that out of the question.

Okay' date=' we call it STR 85 (for a lift of 6.4 ktons). Thats still only 25d6, which averages to 18" of knockback. A STR of 90 is needed to resist that, not including any flight, so maybe your ballpark isn't so far off of the mark, after all?[/quote']

Man, may math was all off last night. 4,840 tons is 4.8 ktons, not 484 ktons. So 85 STR sounds about right.

So, given that a STR of 90 would deal with the train, we go back to the OP. Why not 120? Did he do anything else that might need 120? The realistic throwing table means that he could throw the kid about 20 billion inches, with all that the chart assumes. (1 second application, 45° angle, no atmospheric friction.) So again, STR 90 more than enough, there.

He threw the kid up and out of sight, and it took said kid... what? 20-30 seconds to return? Still, 90 STR works fine for that. His two strongest stunts are the train and the whale. And we can use 1" of Megascale to get the whale toss.

He threw the kid up and out of sight' date=' and it took said kid... what? 20-30 seconds to return? Still, 90 STR works fine for that. His two strongest stunts are the train and the whale. And we can use 1" of Megascale to get the whale toss.[/quote']You don't even need that, if you use the tables in Ultimate Brick. I'm just saying.

You don't even need that' date=' if you use the tables in [i']Ultimate Brick[/i]. I'm just saying.

True... the realistic throwing tables show that Haruka from FLCL has a 40 STR or so, since she swatted a baseball into orbit. :)