Speed, Only To Block Or Missile Deflect

Pteryx

In contemplating a build for a particular character who really is That Darned Good at parrying incoming attacks, I figured that extra Speed with the Limitation "Only To Block Or Missile Deflect" would be appropriate. However, I'm still a newbie (if apparently not an "incompetent" one anymore ;) ), so I'm not sure what level of limitation that would be. My best guess would be -1. Opinions? -- Pteryx

I agree that this limitation would be worth at least -1. Quite possibly more.

An interesting power construction I have to say. How much "extra" speed were you planning to buy for the character? You would technically only need a +2 or +3 to effectively foil nearly all ranged attacks launched in your direction, as you could easily abort your phantom phases to block and missile deflect while not wasting your actual phases...

Originally posted by Ndreare

I have also wondered aboute speed only to REC would this be allowed? and if so how limated would it be?

I'd allow it, with a pretty hefty limitation. Remember that you go to DCV 0 if you recover, and you don't get the recovery if you get hit/take damage before your next phase.

Pteryx::

Just being "really good" at Missile Deflecting can alternately be a pile of skill levels or inherent bonuses...

Why?

System wise, if the character successfully blocks, he can continue blocking until his next action phase. IE: If I abort to missile deflect, I can continue to deflect misssiles until my next action.

Because...

...as NuSoardGraphite says, it'd let the character abort the limited phases to Block or Deflect while still getting in attacks on his normal phases, which I've seen that particular character do.

As for how much speed, I'm thinking precisely double a character's normal speed would be ideal, so he'd get "blocking" phases between each of his normal phases... in the example I'm considering, a total of 4 normal SPD and 4 limited. -- Pteryx

I would think that was a legal lim, I was in a game where one of the characters did the opposite, speed only to attack with a second pistol, the character was based on the Chow Yun Fat movies The Killer and Hardboiled (lots of two pistol gun fighting for those unfamiliar with the movies, I think these movies are where hollywood got the idea from). I don't recall the lim, but I would guess +1 since it only allowed an extra attack after the first attack and only with pistols, the second attack came a segment after the first. Now with the new rules in 5th, this would not be needed to have a two weapon fighter.

I know dodge works until the characters next phase but I thought block only worked against one attack? Anyway thats how I've always done it.

Each block roll works against one attack, but if you block successfully, you can block again with a small penalty. That way, it's still useful for its intended purpose (giving you first attack in your next phase) even if the other guy has a higher SPD than you.

I recall one fantasy campaign I was running, some guy accidentally released a demon from the statue form it was imprisoned in. It had a SPD of 5, whereas he had a 3 (maybe a 4), and he blocked everything the demon threw at him for a whole turn, until the others in the party could dispatch the beast. I was so proud.