Building Things Instantly

Michael Hopcroft

I just saw a bizarre commerical for concrete, that made me wonder how to model it in HERO.

A guy was walking holding a bag of concrete, and things were building themselves behind him. Even a bridge that he was able to walk across as it was formed.

Now when I mentioned this to ghost-angel, he suggested that this would be the SFX for a suite of Powers. But since the side effect is that the structures he leaves behind are there until physically torn down, he suggested that the powers have the Continuous and/or Uncontrolled modifiers. My question is, how do you do this, and what would the presence of someone with this power suite do to a campaign? After all, he leaves behind a lot of walls, bridges and other structures that may not fit the plans of those who own the properties he visits, and they won't melt or deteriorate on their own.

Re: Building Things Instantly

If you really want all that flexibility use a VPP with the proper limitations. In a Champs game I ran one of the PC could magically cause a copy of any item he touched to appear in his hands. It was in the exact state he touched it in...we used VPP and it worked GREAT!

If you really want all that flexibility use a VPP with the proper limitations. In a Champs game I ran one of the PC could magically cause a copy of any item he touched to appear in his hands. It was in the exact state he touched it in...we used VPP and it worked GREAT!

So if he touched a broken toaster, he could create -- another broken toaster.

Uncontrolled on that VPP would have been interesting -- copying everything non-organic he touched (except for huge things like buildings). That probably gets to be annoying really quickly -- the doorknob collection alone would be overwhelming!

So if he touched a broken toaster' date=' he could create -- another broken toaster.[/quote']

Yup. The character was really great. He was actually a thief who gave it all up when he broke this mystical idol and was given the ability to duplicate anything he touched. Why do you need to steal when you can just make more copies?

The PC started with nothing. He ran around touching Viper agents with half charged guns, etc. He touched credit cards, cars, etc. It was really fun. It was not that unbalancing at all. I was really happy with the PC as a GM. :)

Here is a link to a copy of the PC online...his name is Smith. He was played by John Turner.