What Other Dark Champions Resources Would You Recommend?

Wolfgang70

Thanks everyone in advance for your help. I've been warmly welcomed to your little online community here and feel quite at home.

As some of you may know, I'm running what is, essentially, a Dark Champions game, set in Hudson City (though I have made a few minor changes to the city), but instead using a heavily modified version of D20 Modern (using Grim N' Gritty Rules, freeform experience, and some other alterations). I chose these rules, because most of the players are more comfortable with the D20 system than anything else (their 2nd choice would probably be Storyteller). We've done 8 sessions so far (7 are posted in the Campaign Log thread and the 8th should be there by Friday) and its going great.

One of the strange, obsessive-compulsive things I do when I run a game is to collect as many pertinent resources as possible. I commented in an earlier thread about the general lack of web-based resources, but I've since turned to Amazon and RPGNOW and have been collecting as many pdf and print resources as possible. So far I have purchased Hudson City and Predators, as well as the Dark Champions and DC: The Animated Series core books, as pdf files. More recently I have scavenged private dealers on Amazon and found Underworld Enemies, Hudson City Blues (that took a couple of tries), and Justice, Not Law in print form.

My question is... What other sources would be helpful for me in running this campaign?

Thanks again!

Wolfgang

Re: What Other Dark Champions Resources Would You Recommend?

There are still a couple of older edition supplements you haven't mentioned.

Murderer's Row was an Enemies Sourcebook and many of its villains were not repeated in the later Predators book.

An Eye for an Eye was a Sourcebook for both Dark Champions and Champions. A lot of that material has been updated and republished in 5th Edition but not all of it.

Shadows of the City was a collection of three adventures usable for either Champions or Dark Champions and can be used to form a sort of mini-campaign for Dark Champions without too much effort.

The currently for sale Hero Plus adventure Shades of Black is interesting. Though it is written for Champions and based in Millennium City, it can easily be shifted to Hudson City. The crimes involved are of a supernatural nature and there are autopsy reports for victims. The adventure requires some detective work by the heroes to solve. It has always been my intention to modify it into a Dark Champions game for my Weekend Warriors campaign.

Not really background material but if you want to watch a good movie with a Dark Champions, gritty vigilante feel, watch Boondock Saints.

Thanks for reminding me.

Heroic Adventures, volume 2 by Gold Rush Games, © 1996, Catalog Number GRH101.

This was a collection of six stand alone adventures for Dark Champions. Authors were: Steven S. Long, Chris Avellone, Amy Crittenden, Greg Lloyd, Jim Crocker and Ed Carmien. Some good stuff in there and I still haven't run all of the scenarios yet.

Loved that one. Used the Punchinello/Playtime scenario for a Dark Champions Teen sidekick adventure. Punchinello had an a all girl group of hench metas called his Toys. Mostly hero owned characters like Frizbe, Sparkler, Marbles, Skate Kate along with a few homemade (Hopscotch, Jumping Jaque) and a few borrowed from other companies. I uploaded some Heromachine pictures on this forum awhile back.

Also try to find fourth edition "Challenges for Champions". Ten scenarios with almost twenty NPCs. A few work well with four color or dark champs esp Mexican Standoff, Fire and Ice and Bloody Revenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Much like Wolfgang I'm also looking possibley starting a Dark Champions campaign and had a question about a particular book before I buy it, can anyone give me a synopsis of Hudson City Blues? There's nothing about it in its entry in the store and I've been unable to find any reveiws online.

The currently for sale Hero Plus adventure Shades of Black is interesting. Though it is written for Champions and based in Millennium City, it can easily be shifted to Hudson City. The crimes involved are of a supernatural nature and there are autopsy reports for victims. The adventure requires some detective work by the heroes to solve. It has always been my intention to modify it into a Dark Champions game for my Weekend Warriors campaign.

Oooo....does this mean the Weekend Warriors are coming back? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to look back on my groups adventure logs from way back in the day. Here is a list of the adventures I used. Mixed in were home made games using ideas in the enemies books (Murderer's Row, Underworld Enemies).

From Third Edition Rules -

Tanghal Tower ( With a map to the mob's records from the 30's as the hidden thing in the cornerstone of the tower)

&

Christopher Park ( A mob accountant wants to defect, and the mob hates to say good by)

From the Big Blue Book ( Fourth Edition) -

Mob Rule ( using El Capatez & El Negro Obscuro)

From 4th Edition Dark Champions -

Harcorp Towers

Shadows of the City -

Revolution ( toned down the supers and made it play alot of the subplots in the background)

&

The Pack (toned down the villians and played it out over other small adventures

Hudson City Blues ( Man what alot of paperwork and background to build up to this arc, but well worth it for the spin offs it let me run later)

From Adventurer's Club 25 -

Slippery as an Eel

Challenges for Champions -

Soft Targets

Bloody Revenge

Red Herring

Mexican Standoff

Fire & Ice

Blood Fury (by Atlas Games)(No Mechanon, made it Contagion synthisizing the rage virus, the Pretender acting as the Brother, and the heroes having to brave a town of enraged citizens accompanied by state troopers to find the real brother, then back to Hudson City to stop the contamination of the water supply with rage virus and save the sister)

Heroic Adventures Volume 2 (By Gold Rush Games) (used all 6 adventures included - see above post for Games People Play with Punchinello - Used The Thing in Radley Manor with teen sidekicks, it was a blast)

Hope this helps out to create some fun for you and your players.