Top 13 Polar Super Vehicles from Antarctic

Susano

Living and working in a polar region like Antarctic isn’t just walking around in layers upon layers of protective clothing. Sometimes you need to cover long distances and that’s where all the exciting polar vehicles come in handy.

After some research, I found out that the people in Antarctic have lots of vehicles to play with. All of them are far more exciting that the car in my garage, so I couldn’t resist making this top 13 of the most exciting polar vehicles in Antarctic.

http://www.provehicles.co.uk/top-13-polar-super-vehicles-from-antarctic/

Some samples:

science-support-vehicle.jpg

mattrack-truck.jpg

concept-ice-vehicle.jpg

Re: Top 13 Polar Super Vehicles from Antarctic

my bad, must not have read the whole list..

if I go digging far enough, somewhere I have hero stats for it even, coulda sworn I posted them to the boards even... if not I will rectify that shortly

although it was sponsored etc by Goodyear... and I work at a Firestone plant

more to come later

I probably posted it in the pulp vehicle forums actiually

Re: Top 13 Polar Super Vehicles from Antarctic

sorry it took so long folks.

but here ya go

http://www.joeld.net/snowcruiser/snowhist.html

Antarctic Snow Cruiser

Val Char Cost Notes

10 Size 50 Length 10.08", Width 5.04", Area 50.8" Mass 102.4 ton KB -10

60 STR 0 Lift 102.4tons; 12d6

10 DEX 0 OCV 3 DCV -3

21 BODY 0

2 DEF 0

2 SPD 0 Phases: 6, 12

Total Characteristic Cost: 50

Movement: Running: 10" / 20"

Swimming: 2" / 4"

Leaping: 0"

Cost Powers END

Construction

1 1) Aluminum : +1 BODY 0

Movement Systems

2 1) Cummins H-6 engine: Ground Movement +4" (10" total); OIF Bulky (-1), Limited Maneuverability Only 1 turn per Turn at Combat speed; only 1 turn per Minute at Noncombat speed (-3/4), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/2), Difficult to Operate (-1/4), Crew-Served (2 people; -1/4) Note: Diesel-Electric Hybrid (2 diesel engines, 2 generators, 4 electric motors)5,000 gallons of fuel carried

7 2) Designed to cross 15 foot crevasses: Stretching 3", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2); OIF Bulky (-1), Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) Note: Long front and rear overhangs on the body were to assist with crossing crevasses up to 15 feet wide. The front wheels were to be retracted so the front could be pushed across the crevasse. The front wheels were then to be extended (and the rear wheels retracted) to pull the vehicle the rest of the way across. This process required a complicated, 20-step procedure. 0

Personnel Systems

5 1) Standard Radios: High Range Radio Perception (Radio Group) (12 Active Points); OIF Bulky Fragile (-1 1/4), Custom Modifier (Real equipment; -1/4) 0

8 2) Powered Winch: Stretching 4", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) 0

1 3) Cold Weather Kit: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Safe in Intense Cold); OIF Bulky (-1) Note: Engine coolant circulated through the entire cabin for heating. The heating system was very efficient and the crew reported that they needed only light blankets when sleeping 0

Other Equipment Options

5 1) 5-passenger Beechcraft biplane carried externally: Custom Power Note: 1,000 gallons of fuel carried for scout plane 0

Talents

1 Absolute Time Sense (3 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Custom Modifier (Real Equipment; -1/4)

Skills

1 +1 with KS: Photography; OIF Bulky (-1)

1 +1 with Paramedics; OIF Bulky (-1)

1 +1 with Mechanics; OIF Bulky (-1)

1 +1 with Climbing; OIF Bulky (-1)

1 +1 with KS: Cooking; OIF Bulky (-1)

2 +1 with Survival (Arctic/Subarctic); OIF Bulky (-1)

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 37

Total Cost: 87

200+ Disadvantages

Vehicle Statistics

0 1) Weight and size in displacement tons Note: 75,000 Pounds , 55 feet long, 20 feet wide, 15 feet high

0 2) Top Speed in MPH Note: 30

0 3) Range in Miles Note: 5,000

0 4) Crew Note: 5

0 5) Payload

0 Innnovative Design Note: The Diesel-Electric drive train allowed for smaller engines and more space for the crew, due to the elimination of large mechanical drive components throughout the vehicle. This is possibly the first application of a diesel-electric powertrain in a 4-wheeled vehicle of this size; this design is now common in large modern mining trucks.

Limitations and Disadvantages

15 1) Phys. Lim.: High Ground Pressure (Frequently, Greatly Impairing) Note: The crew later found that the tires produced more traction when driven backwards. The longest trek was 92 miles -- driven completely in reverse

15 2) Phys. Lim.: Cannot Travel over most bridges (Frequently, Greatly Impairing) Note: Heavy weight and ground pressure for its time

15 3) Phys. Lim.: Electric wheel motors tended to overheat (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

20 4) Soc. Lim.: High Cost to Build (Very Frequently, Major) Note: $150,000

0 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 87

• 2 years later...