anti-Hummingbird gadget

Nerdnumber1

Re: anti-Hummingbird gadget

Mindcontrols can be re-applied. And any breakouts will have to deny previous statements and their pregnancy test (the nurse was mind controled).

How long did those tests - by ONE NURSE - take? 1,300 or 13,000, that's a lot of breakout rolls! How long did it take to take ALL THOSE STATEMENTS? A Breakout roll applies after a turn, after a minute, after 5 minutes, after 20 minutes and after an hour. Was Hummingbird in the room with the nurse and with the police, reporters, etc. taking statements?

And even one' date=' possible under-aged pregnancy would be enough to cause me problems.[/quote']

Which is where the whole thing falls down. Pulling off a hoax with one could be achieved, although doubtless rebutted in time. 1,300 is so over the top :rolleyes:, only the Tabloid Trash is going to give the story any column space. It's so totally absurd otherwise. Hire a lawyer, sue the newspapers that published this obvious crap slander and use the lawsuit money to deal with your Hummingbird problem.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given that her Mind Control is not telepathic' date=' if you can prevent her from speaking, or from having her voice reach you, that might be a tactic as well. I leave it to you to decide whether pulling out her vocal cords is permissible with your CAK. :D[/quote']

Actually, that's probably the easier gadget power. "Darkness vs Hearing, no range, only vs Hummingbird, one hex only". Now you can't hear her. You can be affected by her mind control, but you don't know what she told you to do. Your action!

Given that her Mind Control is not telepathic' date=' if you can prevent her from speaking, or from having her voice reach you, that might be a tactic as well. I leave it to you to decide whether pulling out her vocal cords is permissible with your CAK. :D[/quote']

Well, don't forget the GM has apparently given her a massive Ego Attack.

You know, instead of working up a new power or gadget to swat Hummingbird, have you considered a different approach?

Basically, this all started because some @#&*% set your Character up. So, perhaps use that same gambit to steer her at somebody else. How is Foxbat's social schedule, for instance? Alternatively, maybe there is an obnoxious rival or other NPC (or PC, even?) out there who obviously needs (or deserves?) some ... special attention.

If the GM is playing her true to form (and not just to #### with you), then her attention span is not all that great. So, definitely let her "get" your Character, then work at being as boring as possible - not nasty or inconsiderate or anything like that, just BORING. At the same time, begin setting up the next ... er, ah ... target of her affections. Should not take all that long for her to switch targets at all.

She already pulled the mind controls after the little wedding. It turns out that my wedding ring is practically impossible to remove (I'll be wearing gloves for a while) and she planted a mental modification causing me to replace "Hummingbird" with "wife" which will cause a few gramatical problems. I think I'll try to plan the next "date" so that I have a little tactical advantage. I don't plan on catching her, I just want to: a) decrease mind control chances,

B) put myself in a situation in which I can't easily do anything I wouldn't want to do if she does mind control me,

c) maximize my ability/minimize her ability to call backup,

d) set contingencies for unplanned events,

e) set up a situation that will allow me to speak to her privately, and

f) set up a date that will be enjoyable enough for her that she find no reason to mind control me while not humiliating and annoying me.

I have something in mind, but I'm not sure I want to post it because, though I haven't any proof he checks these boards, I don't want to tip off my GM too early. If he wants to think up a counter, he should have the same time that Hummingbird has. :sneaky:

Taking 50% Mental Damage Reduction can be very useful in staving off those nasty uber-high effects.

But to really "persuade one against a mental attack," you need to know how to hit her where it hurts. A Drain COM Damage Shield (sucking away her youth with each mental command) would put a cramp in her day. If she's not easily dissuaded that way, a Drain EGO Damage Shield is fairly effective against mentalists (or even Drain All Mental Powers to get even meaner).

Taking 50% Mental Damage Reduction can be very useful in staving off those nasty uber-high effects.

But to really "persuade one against a mental attack," you need to know how to hit her where it hurts. A Drain COM Damage Shield (sucking away her youth with each mental command) would put a cramp in her day. If she's not easily dissuaded that way, a Drain EGO Damage Shield is fairly effective against mentalists (or even Drain All Mental Powers to get even meaner).

Damage reduction is a "GM's caution" power, but a nice idea.

The drains might need 'use ecv', which would mean heavy point costs and need to get through mental defense. I was planning on asking to borrow a friend's gadgets (60pnt vpp), so I really can't get anything I want and high point costs would stress his 60 active point limit (drain 10pnts/d6, uecv +1, continuous +1, damage shield +1/2, 0 end +1/2... :eek:).

I have something in mind, but I'm not sure I want to post it because, though I haven't any proof he checks these boards, I don't want to tip off my GM too early. If he wants to think up a counter, he should have the same time that Hummingbird has. :sneaky:

Ah whatever, I'll just post it anyway.

Resources:

1 Dumpster of Justice (DoJ): megascale teleporting, team flying vehicle with mental defense 20 for any passengers, large, controls team mindlink

1 Steel Dart: cloaked personal supersonic craft w/ mindlink autopilot

1 team base

Teammates:

a) Junkyard Dog (gadgeteer): has a vpp and doesn't normally screw me over

B) Icy-Hot (teleporting fire/ice energy projector): has his own problems, would likely help if asked, but I don't think I need to bother him

c) Angel (male gadget-based religious all-arounder): Thinks that my mind-controled, unwilling, Vegas wedding constitutes a 'sacred bond,' I don't think I'll ask him on this one.

d) Grey Ghost (trickster and horrifying slime mold (8d6+ fear attack)): He excells in pretty much every aspect, especially speed, stealth, and senses. However, he would only help in dangerous situations (in this case, he'll just laugh at my plight).

The plan:

1. Make secure contact with Junkyard: First I plan on using whatever mental defenses we can and using our secure mindlink ensuring I'm alone (I'll plug my ears and put the DoJ into a freefall, telling any stowaways to show themselves before impact, I can easily survive the fall, spies cannot :sneaky:).
  2. Requst a few necesary gadgets: a) ear plugs (just in case), B) a vcr/dvd player/projector for the Dumpster (necassary for rest of plan), c) a device that will disable the DoJ's flight and teleport for a set period of time, d) a mind control-triggered device that will activate a continuing area effect nnd (probably not staying in the plan, if she tries anything, this should slow her down and if she gets away from the attack, it should stop me from doing anything against my will for too long, try dragging 400kg Melissa:sneaky:), and finally e) whatever extra mental defense I can get. D and E are optional as she shouldn't have any reason to attack, I will have 25 mental defense(5 of my own, 20 from the DoJ) +18ego, and she shouldn't have anywhere to go.
  3. Scout a location: Should be far enough away from any civilization to ensure privacy and allow plenty of time for me to break out or her to get bored/tired if using non-vehicle travel. Zero cell reception is vital as my mind-link will not be hampered, but HB's cell won't. Proximity to Millenium City is prefered, but the 100km+ megascale teleport should help with that.
  4. Set up a date: Contact Hummingbird through whatever means deemed necessary to set up a popcorn and a movie date, explaining that the theatre is too public for a known superhero (which my character, Adamant, is) and that my base/home is regularly visited by the other supers (including Grey Ghost), so a trip to a more scenic area is the best place to go. Ask what movie I should get and set a time/pick up point (assuming she isn't already in the room).
  5. Final prep: Fit together all the DoJ modifications and tell Junkyard and anyone else I see fit enough to act as backup should the need arise. Disable the Steel Dart to prevent me from calling it. Get the popcorn and movie.
  6. Action: Pick up Melissa with the ear plugs explaining that I'll remove them the second we reach our destination and stay true to my word. Activate the timed kill switch upon arrival, and tell her the dual function of the device: a) I have a guard vs. mind control problems and B) I'm commited to having the entire date. Now, after assuring her to go through with the date, reguardless of her answers, I ask exactly what she believes this "relationship" will lead to (trust is the foundation for any strong relationship and after trusting her inside my head, she used me as a puppet and forced me into marrige) and confess my dislike of having others control my actions. After this little talk, I'll sit through the movie and act be my boring self.
  7. Conclusion: If she stays out of my head, I will let her go and be down one date without incident (and maybe Destroyer will take a kniting class from Foxbat). If it breaks down into a fight, I'll be in a tactically superior possition (low ceilings prevent her flying out of my reach, I will have increased mental defence, and help will be closer for me). I know that, especially against a GM, no plan is near foolproof, but it is a start.

I only plan to send HB to jail (for unrelated thefts) if she attacks. Setting a trap with lies would only serve to make enemies of the rest of GRAB.

Saturday update: Good news! Because of various tests that prevent me from getting to sessions on time (SATs must be the sick creation of some evil madman) and other players the GM has to mess with, I think it'll be a few sessions before I become the target of the session. Also, Hummingbird (aka: Melissa which is how I'll be refering to her as in session to prevent that Damn mental suggestion) has been emailing me 5 times a day, so I can contact her if needed. In other news, we beat Mechanon! :D

I think I'll need to add to my plan to increase chance of success. The GM seems reluctant to fudge dice roles (he roles so low that mechanon couldn't hit a thing and has roled 666 more than anyone I have ever seen (at least once per session)), so if I get the drop on him and do really well, he might let me win a small victory. It has to be airtight to even have a chance of working.

Damage reduction is a "GM's caution" power, but a nice idea.

The drains might need 'use ecv', which would mean heavy point costs and need to get through mental defense. I was planning on asking to borrow a friend's gadgets (60pnt vpp), so I really can't get anything I want and high point costs would stress his 60 active point limit (drain 10pnts/d6, uecv +1, continuous +1, damage shield +1/2, 0 end +1/2... :eek:).

Actually, since the drains target a stat, they do not need to use uecv. And avoiding ECV against a mentalist is always a good idea. They use Power Defense as the defense rather than Mental Defense. That drops one of the +1s right there. You are now at 30 pts/d6. Now make it 2D6 and use an Inobvious focus, and you are about set.

Gemphyre

Have you tried Bat Juice?

Apparently it's been tested before with good results.

Interesting, but I don't think this GM's Hummingbird will believe the threat and the second she leaves my sight, all bets are off (GM will get her bat repellent or something). Anyway, I'm not sure how to do it with a gadget pool and I have a code vs. killing (the bats seem a bit dangerous if I'm forced to use it). A continuous, area effect, NND attack (stun gas) in an enclosed area (like the Dumpster of Justice) would be a non-lethal alternative.

Actually, since the drains target a stat, they do not need to use uecv. And avoiding ECV against a mentalist is always a good idea. They use Power Defense as the defense rather than Mental Defense. That drops one of the +1s right there. You are now at 30 pts/d6. Now make it 2D6 and use an Inobvious focus, and you are about set.

Gemphyre

A mental damage shield needs uecv and anything else would require me to attack Humming bird (with her crazy dcv).

One idea I had was a giant fly swatter: Area of effect on str with OAF, etc. ~18dcv huh, *SPLAT* :sneaky:

Reverse Beer Goggles: Drain COM 0 1/2d6, Trigger, only when attacked by Mental Powers (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Half Phase Action to reset; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +1 1/2) (16 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only vs. Hummingbird; -2), OAF (-1), 4 Charges (-1)

Every time she attacks you, she gets just a little bit uglier for the rest of the day. Nothing nasty, but certainly should discourage her . . .

Reverse Beer Goggles: Drain COM 0 1/2d6, Trigger, only when attacked by Mental Powers (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Half Phase Action to reset; +1/4), Ranged (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Day; +1 1/2) (16 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses almost all of its effectiveness (Only vs. Hummingbird; -2), OAF (-1), 4 Charges (-1)

Every time she attacks you, she gets just a little bit uglier for the rest of the day. Nothing nasty, but certainly should discourage her . . .

I really think temporarily disfiguring my stalker won't make her all that happy. Best case scenario, she sends one of my team mates to attack me instead, probably Angel or because he recently mentioned to the GM his lack of mental defense (almost everyone else has some mental defense, Icy-Hot might not). Worst case, she blows up and hits me with her strongest one shot and runs off crying to indirectly make my screw with my life in another mass mind control (see paraphrased history above).

I really think temporarily disfiguring my stalker won't make her all that happy. Best case scenario' date=' she sends one of my team mates to attack me instead, probably Angel or because he recently mentioned to the GM his lack of mental defense (almost everyone else has some mental defense, Icy-Hot might not). Worst case, she blows up and hits me with her strongest one shot and runs off crying to indirectly make my screw with my life in another mass mind control (see paraphrased history above).[/quote']

How about the reverse, something that makes YOU increasingly ugly (bad-smelling, voice like fingernails on a blackboard, etc.) but only to her. Not as a combat power, more of a cumulative effect whenever she is in the vicinity. Combine with overly amorous / scary stalker behaviour - turn the tables on her, give her a taste of her own medicine. Think of it as the 'Pepe Le Pew" Gambit.

Or, if you get totally sick of the whole thing, simply tell the Ref, "OK, the joke's over. Please stop. NOW."

How about the reverse, something that makes YOU increasingly ugly (bad-smelling, voice like fingernails on a blackboard, etc.) but only to her. Not as a combat power, more of a cumulative effect whenever she is in the vicinity. Combine with overly amorous / scary stalker behaviour - turn the tables on her, give her a taste of her own medicine. Think of it as the 'Pepe Le Pew" Gambit.

Or, if you get totally sick of the whole thing, simply tell the Ref, "OK, the joke's over. Please stop. NOW."

I don't think it's looks that attracts HB (my com is 10). It could be my strength. It could be Interface's e-mails (she mentioned poetry). It might be a mental trick some, more powerful villian is using. Maybe she's just a nut.

I don't like the situation, but I kind of like plotting a way out. I think it will be more satisfying to get out of this with a clever plan than crying to the GM. My previously stated "date" plan should get me a semi-safe talk and keep her from sending me on another mind-controled night that makes me want to smash something.

I don't think it's looks that attracts HB (my com is 10). It could be my strength. It could be Interface's e-mails (she mentioned poetry). It might be a mental trick some' date=' more powerful villian is using. Maybe she's just a nut.[/quote']

Well, as I said, there are other options as well - BO, a grating voice and so forth. At least one of these will have some effect - and I wouldn't be too certain that "uglying up" is pointless either. At the very least, it will keep her busy looking for plastic surgeons to fix your "problem".

Hmm. Pheromones. If there are supposedly pheromones to attract, surely there are others that repel. MIGHT also explain what has happened to her - could somebody be using pheromones on her (or you?).

Anyhow, good luck with your endeavours.

I really think temporarily disfiguring my stalker won't make her all that happy. Best case scenario' date=' she sends one of my team mates to attack me instead, probably Angel or because he recently mentioned to the GM his lack of mental defense (almost everyone else has some mental defense, Icy-Hot might not). Worst case, she blows up and hits me with her strongest one shot and runs off crying to indirectly make my screw with my life in another mass mind control (see paraphrased history above).[/quote']

To be fair, neither would finding a way to send her slamming into the wall. Part of it is pure point efficiency--COM Drain is really, really cheap with the 2/1 characteristic cost. It's not vicious or damaging, just a temporary annoyance. Could probably also do a Cosmetic Transform of some sort and give her body odor.

Like others have said, if you're at the point where this is really becoming an issue, it's time to tell the GM "really, enough, I'm not enjoying this, find a new joke" and hope he actually listens.

To be fair, neither would finding a way to send her slamming into the wall. Part of it is pure point efficiency--COM Drain is really, really cheap with the 2/1 characteristic cost. It's not vicious or damaging, just a temporary annoyance. Could probably also do a Cosmetic Transform of some sort and give her body odor.

Like others have said, if you're at the point where this is really becoming an issue, it's time to tell the GM "really, enough, I'm not enjoying this, find a new joke" and hope he actually listens.

It just seems like more of a personal afront than normal attacks are. Have you ever seen a fight in which a female character (or sometimes a male character) is physically hurt repeatedly, but really starts to get angry only when their hair/face/clothes/shoes get damaged?

Space balls example: "He shot my hair!" *princess proceeds to mow down every soldier in the area*

The mental d-shield would likely cause more confusion than pure rage, but now it seems impractical too.

I like the idea of making yourself less attractive to Hummingbird. Given the powers you will be adding come from a gadget pool, a COM drain based on negative pheromones (which is why only Hummingbird finds you less attractive as a consequence) makes logical sense. You can also keep the point cost down markedly...

1/2d6 COM Drain, 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), UBO (+1/4?) 16 AP; Only reduces COM of character using power (-2), IIF (-1/4), Only reduces COM as perceived by Hummingbird (-2), extra time (5 minutes; need -1 1/2) 2 real points

Once you strap this on and fire it up, it starts slowly infusing your body and immediate environment with Ugly Pheromones. Every 5 minutes, your COM drops by 2 - 6 points (1/2d6 x 2 COM). You can fire it up now - no need to wait until Hummingbird drops by. After an hour, your COM is reduced somewhere between 24 and 72 for Hummingbird. Maybe set a -0 limitation that caps the minimum COM you can be left with, so you're not stuck cleaning up Hummingbird Vomit and away you go.

If that doesn't work, try this:

1d6 Mind Control, 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), UBO (+1/4?), Penetrating (x4; +2), Cumulative (+1/2), 32x maximum (+1 1/4), Telepathic command (+1/4), IPE (+1/2 - mental senses, once for use and once for accumulation) 31 AP; No mental awareness (-1/4), One command: you are completely bored with me - target remembers and thinks her actions were her idea, must have -18 to Breakout Roll) (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Only affects Hummingbird (-2), 8 real points.

More expensive. Turn it on and leave it on. Once Hummingbird shows up the Mind Control starts trying to affect her. Once it hits, it rolls 1d6 per phase, averaging 1 point past her mental defenses each phase. Once it accumulates enough points, it takes effect. If Hummingbird has 30 Ego and is violently opposed to falling out of love with you, it will need to accumulate 30 (Ego) + 30 (Violent Opposition) + 20 (Thinks it was her idea) + 90 (-18 breakout) = 170 points. Assuming you have a 5 SPD, that will take about 7 minutes. Her Breakout roll is a -3. Her ego could be 50 and this will still get through eventually (another few minutes).

I like the idea of making yourself less attractive to Hummingbird. Given the powers you will be adding come from a gadget pool' date=' a COM drain based on negative pheromones (which is why [b']only[/b] Hummingbird finds you less attractive as a consequence) makes logical sense. You can also keep the point cost down markedly...

1/2d6 COM Drain, 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), UBO (+1/4?) 16 AP; Only reduces COM of character using power (-2), IIF (-1/4), Only reduces COM as perceived by Hummingbird (-2), extra time (5 minutes; need -1 1/2) 2 real points

Once you strap this on and fire it up, it starts slowly infusing your body and immediate environment with Ugly Pheromones. Every 5 minutes, your COM drops by 2 - 6 points (1/2d6 x 2 COM). You can fire it up now - no need to wait until Hummingbird drops by. After an hour, your COM is reduced somewhere between 24 and 72 for Hummingbird. Maybe set a -0 limitation that caps the minimum COM you can be left with, so you're not stuck cleaning up Hummingbird Vomit and away you go.

If that doesn't work, try this:

1d6 Mind Control, 0 END (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Persistent (+1/2), UBO (+1/4?), Penetrating (x4; +2), Cumulative (+1/2), 32x maximum (+1 1/4), Telepathic command (+1/4), IPE (+1/2 - mental senses, once for use and once for accumulation) 31 AP; No mental awareness (-1/4), One command: you are completely bored with me - target remembers and thinks her actions were her idea, must have -18 to Breakout Roll) (-1/2), IIF (-1/4), Only affects Hummingbird (-2), 8 real points.

More expensive. Turn it on and leave it on. Once Hummingbird shows up the Mind Control starts trying to affect her. Once it hits, it rolls 1d6 per phase, averaging 1 point past her mental defenses each phase. Once it accumulates enough points, it takes effect. If Hummingbird has 30 Ego and is violently opposed to falling out of love with you, it will need to accumulate 30 (Ego) + 30 (Violent Opposition) + 20 (Thinks it was her idea) + 90 (-18 breakout) = 170 points. Assuming you have a 5 SPD, that will take about 7 minutes. Her Breakout roll is a -3. Her ego could be 50 and this will still get through eventually (another few minutes).

Interesting... As long as she doesn't sense it, the second one might work. I'm not sure if persistent will be allowed for a semi-offensive power, but that can be worked out. I could layer that into my own plan, but I want to make sure this actually makes her leave me alone, instead of making things more interesting by using me as a puppet. I also have to consider how she will handle it with the "marriage."

repped

Heck I have a much simpler plan.

Just "come out". Do an interview with Out magazine, be seen only with other men, act "fabulous".

Maybe it it will work.

I actually thought of that, but I forsee a few problems:

1) My 10pre probably won't convince Hummingbird (she hasn't listened to me yet) or anyone else.

2) The GM could replace Hummingbird with an equally annoying male stalker (or several).

3) I'd have to listen to the media chatter about it.

4) There is a very real chance that some crazy, inquisitor-esque, Christian villian appears for apsolutely no reason to hunt me (plus, I'm not sure how my religious teammate, Angel, will react, though he hasn't been too bad so far).

5) I don't want to act "fabulous" for the rest of my hero career.

Thanks for the idea, but it's a real can of worms.