Mnemonic aid

BobGreenwade

So a character has the ability to boost someone's ability to remember something. This isn't just the ability to remember in general, but to recall something specifically sought after. The Special Effects could be hypnosis, aroma therapy, a psychic boost, a verbal mnemonic trick, or a variety of other things.

I'm torn between using Eidetic Memory, bonuses to the target's INT Roll, or Succor INT as the basis for the ability. (All with appropriate Modifiers, of course.)

Opinions sought and appreciated. :)

Re: Mnemonic aid

Succor INT works for me: it enhances recall of specific events (if so limited) and then goes away. The target might recall details he thought he had forgotten. He'd still remember them after the succor went away because he would remember remembering them, if you see what I mean, but wouldn't be able to recall any additional detail because he is recalling the remembering not the original. Sort of hearsay memory :)

If you wanted to make it a drug rather than a process then I'd use Aid as that has a better concept fit.

Always remember that, despite the fact that we indubitably do have a lot more stored about past events than we routinely access, the human sensory and recording system is not infallible - if the subject did not happen to sense something in the heat of battle six months ago, then he can not have recorded it, so no amount of memory enhancement will dig up something not buried there. At the time the memory was made they were perceiving with the ir normal INT. This is not postcognition.

That means that this might not simply be a matter of making an INT roll: you might also need a 'flat' roll to see if they actually 'recorded' incident. You might, for instance, decide that the thing was perceived on a roll of 14 or less on 3d6 (modified for circumstances and what you are trying to recall) and, if you roll a 8 or less, you are capable of recall in perfect clarity, but each point above 8 acts as a penalty to the INT roll to recall the event, and if you get above 14 you did not perceive it and cannot recall it no matter how high your powers of recall are boosted.

You might also impose a penalty for each step on the time chart that has passed since the event occurred, on the basis that really old memories that have not been accessed since inception will be harder to recall then more recent ones where the temporal and sensory framework is also in greater detail.

Or something like that :D

Re: Mnemonic aid

I'd probably go with a limited but general INT bonus, though Eidetic Memory with a high activation roll is an interesting idea (it depends on how much you trust your dice :straight: ).

The only thing along these lines I've done is in a Pulp campaign, where a super-science gadgeteer type had created his own "Analytical Rule", a custom two-wheel-plus-other-stuff clipboard-sized slide rule that was an OAF for an Aid Science Skills, self only, extra time, concentration, and a science skill activation roll itself. His gadget pools also had a high-difficulty Science skill roll for activation, which the analytical rule made all but automatic when he had time to use it. I admit there was an element of slapstick (in addition to slipstick) to the character.