A Geeky Green Lantern?

matrix3

So, we know that the constructs a Green Lantern manifests depends on their personality. Hal Jordan was no-nonsense and manifested blocks or fists, John Stewart was an architect (right?) and his creations were more intricate but still practical, while Kyle Rayner was an artistic sort, and his creations were more flamboyant. What would happen if a geek/nerd/choose-your-favorite-appellation were to become a Green Lantern? Would he (or she) manifest a green lightsaber for HTH combat? Instead of just a green forcefield surrounding him, maybe he'd be piloting a mecha? What do you think?

Re: A Geeky Green Lantern?

So' date=' we know that the constructs a Green Lantern manifests depends on their personality. Hal Jordan was no-nonsense and manifested blocks or fists, John Stewart was an architect (right?) and his creations were more intricate but still practical, while Kyle Rayner was an artistic sort, and his creations were more flamboyant. What would happen if a geek/nerd/choose-your-favorite-appellation were to become a Green Lantern? Would he (or she) manifest a green lightsaber for HTH combat? Instead of just a green forcefield surrounding him, maybe he'd be piloting a mecha? What do you think?[/quote']

All of the above.

Seriously, a geeky GL would probably suffer from the same Psych Lim as Wiley Coyotte. If one plan fails, don't correct the mistakes, just come up with a completely different plan.

Kyle was/is kind of a geek. He frequently used the ring to build Star Wars-esque spaceships and giant mecha and stuff like that. I haven't read it in a while' date=' but I assume he still does. :)[/quote']

I only read the first issue or two with Kyle. I didn't realize he did geeky constructs. I was thinking of someone who, after a battle, would whip out the HERO or GURPS character sheets for the things he just used in the battle. Someone who, caught in an entangle, would quote "Lucite hardening ... must end life in classic Lorne Greene pose from 'Battlestar Galactica'. Best ... death ... ever!"

I only read the first issue or two with Kyle. I didn't realize he did geeky constructs. I was thinking of someone who' date=' after a battle, would whip out the HERO or GURPS character sheets for the things he just used in the battle. Someone who, caught in an entangle, would quote "Lucite hardening ... must end life in classic Lorne Greene pose from 'Battlestar Galactica'. Best ... death ... ever!"[/quote']

:rofl: I don't think Kyle was quite that geeky. ;)

Well, to be honest, it's gonna depend upon what kind of geek he is. An anime geek may very well create catgirls with his ring or other anime-related concepts. A D&D geek might create powerful magical swords or D&D monsters to get the job done. A superhero geek might create superhero figures to fight the villains or perhaps a suit of "powered armor" to protect himself. Geek is a very broad category and I think it needs to be narrowed down. It's also possible that a geek's other interests will influence what he creates with the ring. For instance, if he's a baseball fan, then giant baseball equipment may also be part of his repertoire. It will also depend on his general personality and once again, all geeks are not the same.

Odd. I was thinking Pac-man. Ms. Pac-man. Pac-man Jr.

:D

I think I remember someone manifesting a power like this in a comic, but it might have been a spoof...

Everything from Tron.

Yes! Great idea, and I might have to introduce an NPC with powers like this into the game I'm running.

Vulcan Nerve Pinch... and Mind Meld.

And a green, glowing TARDIS.

Maybe I don't get 'nerd'?

I like the TARDIS idea...why not travel in style? :)

How about a Green Lantern fanboy who becomes a Green Lantern? I suppose supers are like celebrities, so they would have groupies. It would be amusing to see one get those very same powers and how they react to it.

Well, it would be amusing for one issue...