HERO in the Traveller Universe

Michael Hopcroft

Has anyone tried to run a game of Star HERO in the Traveller Universe? You know -- this big Imperium, ships that are realtively slow by FTL standards (it takes a dozen jumps to cross a sector), and no FTL radio so the fastest way to get a message acroiss the galaxy is to carry it across using the fastest ship (to the point that a war could end long before news that it had even started reahced the Capital).

Or, if you want to play Traveller, do you play Traveller.

Personally I like Traveller's rules as they are, while HERO is great to create your own campaigns. This is not say that you cannot take something from Traveller. As a matter of fact, most starfaring roleplaying games scenarios have done it. Give a look in this thread to see what people have done about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I do! I do!

I'm running a nine-player Star Hero campaign set in the Classic Traveller universe. My problem was always that I loved Traveller but I thought the system was horrible. Once I discovered the joys of FRED, it was easy to convert the Traveller universe.

Simple premise: the players are the crew of a far trader. Shit happens. Game play ensues.

Not a single problem yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Traveller

I have been using the Hero System to run my Traveller since the 4th Edition came out. I started off with the classic character generation but never liked the randomness. I made up my own system for generation but ended up changing to Hero. Unfortunately I don't run a classic Traveller game. When I started I felt that the Traveller Universe was too big for what I wanted to do so I prepared my own map (e-mail if you would like to see it). I do have a lot of the published planets in my Universe but there are slight differences. anyone who has seen the Keith Brothers Sky Raider Trilogy should recognise the left hand side of the map as that was the first big adventure I ran. I would say that I tend to start out players at very low level for Hero, 50 + 50, but have never found this to be a problem. In fact I have just finished grandfathering some characters and they are coming in at around 200pts (although they have been through quite an adventure, freeing an enslaved race, uncovering a plot to take over the Empire - destroying a Naval Fleet and causing another to run into exile - and ending up with a knighthood from the Emperor, not to mention having a series of ships shot out from beneath them). Anyway hope this helps.

Terran Empire is Almost Traveller in feel

I was looking over the weapons list and noticed that level the author placed most of those weapons at made it a damn near Traveller clone. One shot from an average energy rifle will drop an average body char in one hit. Boom. In some ways this is even harsher then traveller. So if your looking for extra conversion info, check out Terran Empire.