NND and Entangle

Tamashii2000

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NND and Entangle

Has anyone thought of just building this as a Speed Drain with a looong recovery time? It may not be the one-hit-wonder power your looking for' date=' but it will make anybody's day more challenging.[/quote']

I could be wrong, as I haven't HERO'd in a while, but isn't there a rule that you can't drop someone's SPD below 1?

Part of the problem, IMO, is the desire to have this be a one shot KO. Yes, it is expensive to reduce someone's SPD to nil or otherwise prevent them from moving, for an extended period of time.

It should be.

This removes the character from the battle just as effectively as turning him to a toad, knocking him out or Mind Controlling/Mental Illusioning him at a+30 level with substantial penalties to the breakout roll. Achieving any of those results reliably with a single shot is expensive. The paralysis beam should be no cheaper.

Abso-bloomin'-lutely correct.

I could be wrong' date=' as I haven't HERO'd in a while, but isn't there a rule that you can't drop someone's SPD below 1?[/quote']

They talk about Negative Speed on page 39 of the Revised 5th Ed. Why else would that be there if you couldn't be Drained/Transfered/Dispelled/Suppressed of SPD past 1 point remaining.

I'm also not as bothered by the lack of difference in effect against low-point and high-point characters because you have to buy at least 82 active points worth of power before you can do anything with it, generally making it a GM-fiat power in the first place. I much prefer something that effective to be very expensive rather than the Captain Chronos approach, which is a 25 active point power that costs 1 point as a multipower slot in addition to violating the NND rules.

Plus, using EDM: Time Travel as the basis for a time manipulating power seems elegant and appropriate to me.