Brink Of War

ghost-angel

Re: Brink Of War

Indeed, this is the approach I intend to take. Monsters will be outside the ecology, an imbalance that must be removed - not just fancy animals that fit into the world.

I've entertained the idea of the Lillim from the Sandman spinoff comic Lucifer. Or something similar to it at least.

I do know that the Conjuration School has a number of Summon Spells that create beasts whole-clothe and set them upon the world.

And of course, there's good old Necromancy - you can never have enough zombies.

Even evil hordes can be constructs of some kind - think of the scenes under Isengard where the Uruk-Hai are ripped out of membranous sacs - an army created rather than bred.

So you get a place for artificers who create hordes of evil minions as well. Its these ones that can cause real long lasting disruption to the local ecology! :)

Doc

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some news, both good and bad I suppose.

I will be returning home to Texas this Friday. The reasons behind it are I am in need of back surgery. The conditions are severe enough that the doctor I spoke too said (after saying.. "I never said this but.." them performing the operation would be an obligation due to my state.

In short, I have bulging discs that are causing nerve damage and on their way to being permanent.

That being said... I will not be available to game for quite some time. Part of that being the surgery and recovery, the other part is I'm having to leave my computer at my uncles for a while. Ironic.. since my friend just paid to have it shipped here.

Thanks for the great games.. and if I am welcome I will be more than glad to keep playing once my schedule and health permit.

Sorry to hear about your back problems, get healthy quick.

Terrie wants to be able to cast an area of darkness, and possibly be able to do short teleports from shadow to shadow (Shadow walking?). She also wants something akin to the D&D spell faerie fire, where the target glows granting opponents a bonus to OCV. Other abilities might develop later.

I'll be there on thursday as I have Tim's old desktop now. Question how many points are we using for character creation? Any disvantages need, I know you were talking different schools of magic, have they been completed. I can make out a rough character stats or is a background more important at this time?

100 Points, pick two Disadvantages that are important to the character in some way - part of their history, part of their outlook on life, pertaining a future desired goal, etc. Points are irrelevant for Disads in this game.

Magic, come up with some School and Spell ideas, pretty much any of the classic "seen in fantasy gaming everything" schools will work, or some new ideas are welcome.

Magic is outlined on the Wiki Link in my Signature.

G-A I'm sending you a very rough character sheet for you to look over. On the schools of magic I was thinking of Alchemeny, Conjurturation, elemental,and rune magic. How much does each school cost . Do we have to buy each spell or do we get to use all the spells in each school starting at 8- or what?

Got it.

Magic works like this:

Buy a School Skill and you can cast any Spell from that School, but you can't alter it.

For example, if you buy the Conjuration Skill it's a standard Power Skill (3pts for a Char Roll, 2pts per +1) and you can cast any Conjuration Spell you know.

You can know any number of spells, there's no limit there. But if you want to change how a spell works you need to buy the Spell as a Skill as well (also a Power Skill).

Ah, we just last night finally got everyone online at once. So I went over character creation details and some world building to get them all in.

Next week, is session one. I will definitely be posting a synopsis.

Sweet. I will definitely be looking forward to reading it!

All yours.
Thanks. I figure if I cannot be running Gemini Ascendant, at least I can fiddle around with some pet projects.

I'm hoping it will do what I want in play: get the mechanics out of the way in favor of imagination and ingenuity.
I believe that it will. I have been wanting to develop something that is similar, but I was never able to figure out all the kinks. From what I see, your system does just about everything I would want from a magic system

I have a ton more Spell Examples built up, with variations pre-firgured, that I have to edit into the Wiki.
I'll keep an eye on the Wiki then. I like the overall "feel" of the spell write-ups. Brings back some of the old AD&D feel without the cumbersome and arbitrary rules set.

I've managed to format and get cool descriptions up for Elemental Light, Elemental Fire, and Conjuration Spells.

Not a lot of spells right now, but some that I think will be used commonly by the group at the moment.

Turns out the time consuming part is coming up with neat little tidbits and history of a spell. It's boring to say "Blows up everything in a 10" Radius with fire" IMO. Magic should be full of flavor and history.

Page for the spells.

Speaking of history, I need to put down more thoughts on society, and living in the campaign world. Calendar, some Gods, etc. By tomorrow. No less as my deadline. The Day Job is just getting in the way of the fun sometimes. . .

Today was particularly brutal - but I missed the Downsizing Axe at work so it was still "good" for certain values of Good. End result equals me just being completely fried, worn out and generally unable to get too much of a coherent thought down.

So, I'm not laid off, but I've not accomplished much either. I have built a few Elemental Shadow Spells and uploaded them and am knee deep into Necromancy (the school containing the ever popular Please Don't Let Me Die spell known as Healing Touch). But the brain is moving slow - so mechanics are easy but the cool part of the spell is not coming so easily, that'd be the descriptions that go along with "3D6 Healing" which is useful but boring.

Anyways. If ya'll see a spell I've named and want some details I'll focus on it. If you think of a spell you want that doesn't appear to be listed also tell me and I'll go about creating it.

Anyways, I'm off to try and defrazzle with loud Heavy Metal.

Well I can understand the feeling of being under the axe. So far I've survived 3 layoffs and don't know if we'll have another before it's over.

But I have been able to work on my character and I just fired off a copy to you. I'm unsure how much spells cost . So I sent a wish list along with the character sheet.

Hope you like the backround info. Talk to ya tomorrow.