Brink Of War

ghost-angel

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Brink Of War

Yes I'll need the MT Campaign.

Yes I'm working on Package Deals (both mine and which ones from FH I want to use), HeroDesigner Campaign Rules File.

I'm waiting on Chad.

By Monday or Tuesday I should have some Mechanical Information ready for you guys.

As soon as I get home and get settled, I'll get the Campaign File to you.

Chad = good :D

As for mechanical information and packages...

You ROCK!!! :thumbup:

I have some Mechanical stuff done, but not in a format that'd be useful. I'm created Racial Package Deals, Magic Package Deals, Cultural Package Deals and deciding which Professional Package Deals from Fantasy Hero to reference. All the ones that are mine will be made in Hero Designer format, I'll post links when I have them.

I'm also cleaning up, changing, expanding and otherwise creating more background content I'll be putting into a nice (hopefully) easily referenced PDF.

That sounds great. Over in MT land RPMiller is working on an HD Export format for the Hero community. We will be able to create in HD and export directly into a token, hopefully with working macros. Then simply drag the token onto the map (I recommend creating a blank map just to hold the initial tokens), and add your character art.

I think you guys will like the new initiative and dice roller macros Brad is coming up with. He has addressed many of our concerns and is creating an on screen character sheet that pops open when you click is macro button. The HD export will feed into that.

Oh yeah, and the best part is we don't need to update versions to use the new macro stuff :D

Working on the campaign today - I did two things.

First I started to gather the information in a wiki on my webspace; http://www.cellularsmoke.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fh:brinkofwar

Second I completely redid how I want to try to use Magic. I was thinking about the Divination Skill in The Ultimate Skill and how I wanted to use it, and incorporate it into magic instead of using some kind of Power construct. Then it occurred to me to do all magic as a skill roll.

I'm still hashing out some specific details, but the idea is you purchase Skill Rolls in Schools of Magic and on specific Magic Spells. As well as a base Magic Skill and Spell Creation and Item Creation Skills (the latter two are based off of Inventor), all others are the Power Skill renamed.

The idea is once you learn a School you can do a lot, but it's difficult. You can specifically learn to better control a number of Spells with less difficulty. I'm still working on some the behind the scenes Mechanics - but In Use all you need to do is make a Skill Roll, and all you purchase on your Character Sheet is the Skill itself.

It does mean more work on my side, as I have to come up with a bunch of Spells and write them up in a user friendly manner. But I think in-play and from a Player perspective it will be more fun and easier to use.

I'm still adding to the wiki, I only had a chance to get basic Race information and some Rules info up today. I'll have a server online this evening at the usual time with the pass we use for the Gemini game. I don't expect to play tonight but getting together for a Character Creation and Thought session should help a lot.

For the players - on the Campaign Wiki there's more under Magic and some magic specific to Elves under that entry.

I'm still organizing things, wiki's being 3D and non-linear I need to go through and start cross linking things and come up with an Index for it. Mostly I'm concentrating on just getting info down at the moment.

So how'd the first session go. Inquiring (and jealous :D ) minds want to know.

It kind of didn't actually. Jim's wife had a mishap, Chad I've not even heard from, Tim still had computer issues, so Starwolf logged on with his wife in the background and we kicked around some ideas for character creation.

You know - the usual for the moment :)

It kind of didn't actually. Jim's wife had a mishap, Chad I've not even heard from, Tim still had computer issues, so Starwolf logged on with his wife in the background and we kicked around some ideas for character creation.

You know - the usual for the moment :)

Hopefully I'll be there next week. My wife will be in a rehab center for up to 6 weeks and she is kind nough to let me play on thursday. Plus I have an adware virus in the laptop that I have to remove before next week also. The little bugger won't let me use the internet for more then a few minutes then it dumps me back to the desktop. Wish me luck that I don't have to reformat the HD.:weep::help:

I did a lot of work on the actual Mechanics of Magic today. It ended up both simple and complicated - if that makes an sense ;)

I want magic to be fun, interesting, kind of unpredictable, and I want to avoid the common feeling I get from Magic: "Oh look, another fireball. . ."

In really short form: Buy the Spell Skill gives you a kind of mini-VPP that allows you to alter how the spell is cast, the power of the spell and some of the effects of the spell itself - if you have the spell Tardin's Fiery Blast (it's like a Fireball, with a cool name) Skill you can turn it from a ho-hum ball of fire you 'throw' to an Armor Piercing Beam of Fire coming from your Mages Staff.

You can't alter the "Base Power" a Spell is built with (once an Energy Blast, always an Energy Blast) but you can change a lot of the effects (Limitations, Advantages and number of Dice used). Changes, of course, change the Skill Roll Penalty - the more power you add the harder it is to cast.

Knowing the School Skill the spell is from (in the case of Tardin's Fiery Blast that's the Elemental Fire School) doesn't allow you to do any cool tricks with the spell, but you don't have to know the Spell Skill to cast a spell from that School. If you have Elemental Fire School Skill you can find and learn any Spell from that school at no additional Character Point investment (so you can have LOTS of spells), but you're stuck casting the Spell as you learned it.

Anyways - I'm busy turning my notes into English other people can understand and will have it on the Wiki tomorrowish. Along with Character Build Guidelines.

Just a note, Chad has been tied up a lot as well. Work has been keeping him late and there are a few other issues (vehicle related) he needs to deal with. I passed along to him about the new fantasy game, but I think he cleared his calender when I announced the end of Gemini Ascendant. I'll check with him again.

I discussed Solron's computer issues with him this morning, so hopefully he will be ok for gaming before next week.

I will have some roughed out characters for Terrie and myself submitted within the next couple of days. The biggest holdup on completing Terrie's spell selection.

Monsters.

The whole idea of lots of monsters, so many they all have ecologies isn't something I think will work in this campaign. Monsters are one offs - sometimes I'll have an explanation for why a (for example) Manticore exists. Sometimes not. I want each encounter to be interesting and memorable. In fact, beasts will likely get named for Where they appear, not What they are (unless some over ambitious Bard names the bloody thing).

Like most people (I reckon) I have wandered through the original dungeon idea of monsters through the careful ecology and balance and back to "I prefer it simple".

My next fantasy campaign will have monsters which are essentially magical constructs. They have no ecology or deep background, they are brought into being by wizards to accomplish a task and any that are encountered have either escaped, gone awry from their programmed mission, are on said mission or have been allowed to cause havoc after accomplishing that mission.

All monsters can be researched, if you know the right bards tales but, because of this many wizards seek to create monsters that do not have the same old weaknesses (if they can afford the research time and costs).

This retains the ability to have random monsters appearing at semingly crazy intervals or inappropriate places without having to provide detailed ecologies and rationales.

Doc

Like most people (I reckon) I have wandered through the original dungeon idea of monsters through the careful ecology and balance and back to "I prefer it simple".

My next fantasy campaign will have monsters which are essentially magical constructs. They have no ecology or deep background, they are brought into being by wizards to accomplish a task and any that are encountered have either escaped, gone awry from their programmed mission, are on said mission or have been allowed to cause havoc after accomplishing that mission.

All monsters can be researched, if you know the right bards tales but, because of this many wizards seek to create monsters that do not have the same old weaknesses (if they can afford the research time and costs).

This retains the ability to have random monsters appearing at semingly crazy intervals or inappropriate places without having to provide detailed ecologies and rationales.

Doc

Indeed, this is the approach I intend to take. Monsters will be outside the ecology, an imbalance that must be removed - not just fancy animals that fit into the world.

I've entertained the idea of the Lillim from the Sandman spinoff comic Lucifer. Or something similar to it at least.

I do know that the Conjuration School has a number of Summon Spells that create beasts whole-clothe and set them upon the world.

And of course, there's good old Necromancy - you can never have enough zombies.

I discussed Solron's computer issues with him this morning, so hopefully he will be ok for gaming before next week.

I will have some roughed out characters for Terrie and myself submitted within the next couple of days. The biggest holdup on completing Terrie's spell selection.

The rules for Magic are up - hopefully they aren't too convoluted or hard to use.

I seem to have created an interesting approach I will enjoy testing out in actual play. I think it lends itself to more interesting Magic than just writing down a bunch of Powers and calling them "spells."