Job Perks

Steve Long

One of the great things about this job o' mine is the cool people you get to meet.

I'm standing in the booth at DunDraCon. I'm the only one there -- Darren's doing a seminar, Jason and Tina are out at lunch, and it's during a game session period so there's no customer traffic. This guy walks by. He walks past, then stops and comes back. "Hey, aren't you Steve Long?" he asks.

"Yes," I say warily, afraid of being served with a summons or hit with a "you'll never guess how cool my half-drow vampire warlock character is" story.

"Hi, I'm Jess Nevins."

For those of you who are unfortunate enough never to have heard of Jess Nevins, he's the author of The Encyclopedia Of Fantastic Victoriana, a forthcoming equally awesome sequel called The Encyclopedia Of Pulp Heroes, and a series of guides explaining in detail all the cool references in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics. In short, he's one of the few people who have a job I envy. ;) I've corresponded with him a time or two, but never gotten to meet him.

So, we spend the next ten minutes or so geeking out about each other's work, talking about other stuff we're doing, etc. Later that night he came to the Hero Party and hung out with us. He's a great guy, lots of fun to talk with, and obviously very knowledgeable about Geekiana.

And today he sent me a PDF of the text for The Encyclopedia Of Pulp Heroes. I truly have an awesome job. :hex:

Re: Job Perks

One of the great things about this job o' mine is the cool people you get to meet.

I'm standing in the booth at DunDraCon. I'm the only one there -- Darren's doing a seminar, Jason and Tina are out at lunch, and it's during a game session period so there's no customer traffic. This guy walks by. He walks past, then stops and comes back. "Hey, aren't you Steve Long?" he asks.

"Yes," I say warily, afraid of being served with a summons or hit with a "you'll never guess how cool my half-drow vampire warlock character is" story.

"Hi, I'm Jess Nevins."

For those of you who are unfortunate enough never to have heard of Jess Nevins, he's the author of The Encyclopedia Of Fantastic Victoriana, a forthcoming equally awesome sequel called The Encyclopedia Of Pulp Heroes, and a series of guides explaining in detail all the cool references in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen comics. In short, he's one of the few people who have a job I envy. ;) I've corresponded with him a time or two, but never gotten to meet him.

So, we spend the next ten minutes or so geeking out about each other's work, talking about other stuff we're doing, etc. Later that night he came to the Hero Party and hung out with us. He's a great guy, lots of fun to talk with, and obviously very knowledgeable about Geekiana.

And today he sent me a PDF of the text for The Encyclopedia Of Pulp Heroes. I truly have an awesome job. :hex:

Word...

Re: Job Perks

The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana by Jess Nevins

http://www.amazon.ca/Encyclopedia-Fantastic-Victoriana-Jess-Nevins/dp/1932265155

The Sexton Blake Page by Jess Nevins

http://www.geocities.com/jessnevins/blake.html

Jess Nevins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jess_Nevins

Encyclopedia of Pulp Heroes

<<>>

Encyclopedia of Golden Age Superheroes

<<>>

Hmmm...

QM