Petrification Power

Asperion

I have been wondering how to build a power that will instantly petrify a person. As the name suggests, it will cause the target to totally freeze in place where they are at the time that they are successfully hit by the attacker. I have thought of using either the mental paralysis power and simply defining it as petrification or a Drain: Speed but was wondering if there is anyway that would be more cost efficient since the character will be built on 350 points. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Petrification Power

Well it depends' date=' is it permanent? If it is than it is a transform, otherwise its just an entangle.[/quote']

Not really. if the target is turned to stone, not merely coated in stone, there's nothing for the target or his friends to break him out of (this is also why Entangles don't work for 'non-mental' paralysis). They'd be attacking him. For a temporary Transformation, you'd just make one of the conditions to heal it 'wait XX minutes'.

Another option would be to use Extra Dimensional Movement with the Usable As Attack Advantage to create a 'stasis field' effect.

This differs from the Transform approach in that the target would be effectively "invulnerable" while in the petrified state.

Definitely in GM call territory though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. While this has been helpful, the original concept that I had was for a time master who froze the time around someone, no actual transformation - hense the part about no physical component. It seems as though most people agree that the entangle route works best. However if anyone wants to post other suggestions on how to make it work (or possibly a name) I would like to hear it.

Howabout:

5d6, 5 Def Entangle, Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1/2), Entangle and Character Both Take Damage (+1/4), Cannot Be Escaped with Teleportation (+1/4), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Not vs those with Time Powers (-1/4)

Active Cost: 100 Real Cost: 67 pts

A time master eh... Clockwork, a mad-scientist I had, had a variety of attacks based on things like this.

I think the Entangle suggested above could work, although it would not really need Entangle/Character both take damage. Arguably it might be better as a BOECV power; forcing through time only by force of will, not strength.

I loath using XDM UAA though... Transform does not necessarily have to actually transform something. Just like an entangle does not necessarily have to have substance, etc.

For a similar totally-incapacitating attack, Clockwork had a You Are Out Of Time! power:

1) You Are Out of Time: Desolidification (affected by Temporal, Space, and Gravity Attacks), Usable As Attack (+1) (80 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

Of course, this was limited by the fact that he could not change slots with it active (giving some reasonable limit to the fact that he could totally paralyze someone without their def providing benefit). For best results, you could consider continuing charges, or 0 END and Uncontrolled (lasts a few minutes).

1) You Are Out of Time: Desolidification (affected by Temporal, Space, and Gravity Attacks), Usable As Attack (+1) (80 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

Of course, this was limited by the fact that he could not change slots with it active (giving some reasonable limit to the fact that he could totally paralyze someone without their def providing benefit). For best results, you could consider continuing charges, or 0 END and Uncontrolled (lasts a few minutes).

I see little functional difference between this and EDM UAA. The key to both is defining an appropriate defense to the UAA aspect (just like with NND).

Yeah, but XDM is Fire-and-Forget, I think... you hit them and then they are screwed. This also lets the character see what is going on, and potentially still do ~something~. And in this case, Clockwork has to burn through 8 END a phase and not switch his MP off onto any other attack power. It is very apparent to be a temporary power, basically, that makes both characters unable to do much in the situation. But the principle is very similar, especially if the Desolid has 0 END/Uncontrolled.