In the Shadow of the Dragon

Starwolf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: In the Shadow of the Dragon

This is a Heroic level epic game with high powered magic. Characters are a max total of 150 points (100 base points and up to 50 points in disadvantages). Characteristic and Skill Maxima are in play. Once a characteristic or skill reaches the maxima purchase costs are doubled. Racial packages are custom made and will be both loaded to the HD vault, and made available as a zip package here.

Races available are:

Human:

Anzeti (Jaiman - Chilly Highlands): Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Paladins, Druids

Duranaki (Jaiman - Subterranean): Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Paladins, Druids

Haid (NW Jaiman - Blue Forest): Barbarian, Rangers, Shamans, Witches.

Jaaderi (Emer - Tai-Emer): Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Paladins

Kuluku (Emer - Khum Kaan Rain Forest): Barbarians, Shamans, Rangers, Druids, Special Racial Abilities (Chameleon Skin, Retractable Nails, darkvision, flash defense, Enhanced Smell) GM APPOVAL Required.

Half K'Taa'Viiri (Folenn) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Loremasters, Navigators, Paladins, Druids Special Racial (Flash Defense, Enhanced DEX, Enhanced Smell, DarkVision, Enhanced Voice, Enhanced Hearing, Enhanced Comliness, Eidetic memory, Cramming, Rapid Healing, Damage Reduction, Telepathy) GM Approval Required

Laan (Emer) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Paladins, Loremasters, Special Racial (Enahnced INT, END, and STR)

Rhiani (Emer - Deserts of Uj) Barbarians, Rangers, Warrior-Mages, Shamans, Druids, Bards Special Racial (Flash Defense)

Shay (Emer - Tai Emer and Haestra) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Talath/Myri (Jaiman, Emer - Haestra) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins, Special Racial (Enhanced STR)

Y'Kin (Jaiman) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Y'Nari (Emer) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Zori (Jaiman) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Dwarves (Underearth) Warriors Rangers, Rogues, Bards,

Elven

Linaeri (High Elves - Philosophers) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Loari (Warrior Elves) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Erlini (Wood Elves) Warriors, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids

Dyari (Dark Elves) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Ta-Lairi (Half Elves) Warriors, Priests, Rangers, Mages, Rogues, Bards, Druids, Paladins,

Kulthean Magic:

Background: All magic flows from Essence. Essence is the mystic energy that permeates and surrounds everything in existence. There are two main types of people that can cast magic spells. The first type are mages which cast arcane spells. This type of caster taps into and manipulates Essence directly. The second type of casters are priests. This type of caster channels spell like abilities by tapping into a particular deities ability to control and manipulate Essence. The diety acts as a mystic power focus and the priest’s faith is the conduit. The stronger his faith, the more power that can flow through this conduit.

Game Mechanic: All casters must buy the ability to cast spells. For mages it is “Power Skill: Arcane Essence”. For priests it is “Power Skill: Faith”.

All casters use a focus for their castings. For mages it is a specially carved rune staff with an embedded Arinyark stone. For priests it is a Holy Talisman (usually an amulet) carved and embedded with a Moonstone (attuned to either Orhan or Charon) on the symbol of their chosen diety. These foci are actually a 50 point END Reserve with a REC of 5 END per hour of non-use. Casters may use XP to increase the END pool, and/or the REC amount/rate. If a caster loses their focus or chooses not to use it, they can still cast but all spells then use their personal END, and END costs are doubled. All personal END expended to power spells is considered to be Long Term END. Most spells also require other material components to be cast. Some of the components are durable and can be reused, but most are consumed in the casting.

All casters must select at least one school to study, but may select up INT/5 schools during character creation. All spells must come from either the Fantasy Hero Grimoire (FHG) or Fantasy Hero Grimoire II (FHG II). All spells must be purchased with character points or XP. The actual cost of a spell is the real cost divided by 3. Each school selected during character creation must have at least one spell purchased at the apprentice level. An apprentice level spell is the basic spell with the addition of the “side effects” limitation. Players may chose to buy their initial spells at the base level instead of at the apprentice level.

A caster is considered to be an apprentice (mage) or initiate (priest) until he has purchased at least 20 points overall in spells and has at least 2 spells at the basic level in a given school, at which time he is considered to be an adept (mage) or brother (priest). A caster may NOT buy easy, stilled, silent, or master level spells until he has at least 40 points in a given school. Once eligible he may begin to buy these enhanced spells. When a caster had 50 points in a given school and at least 4 master level spells, he is considered a master (mage) or priest of that school, and may begin to teach an apprentice if he has the instructor skill. Once a caster has become Master of at least 2 schools he is considered an Arch- Mage or High Priest. After character creation a player may not learn spells outside of his chosen schools until he has reached at least the adept or brother level, at which time he may seek out a teacher, college, or other source to become an apprentice or initiate in a new school.

There are some restrictions on available schools. Only Druids may study the priestly school of Druidry and they are limited to that school. Only Bards may study Song Magic and are limited to that school. Only Priests are allowed to study Divine Magic and are limited to that school. Only Barbarian Shamans may study the Shamanism school and are limited to that school. Only Dragons and the K’Taa Viir are allowed to Study Dragon Magic, though they are not limited to it. Those that choose to study the Sorcery school are called sorcerers not mages, and those that choose to study the Witchcraft school are called witches or warlocks. Paladins may only choose powers (spells) from the list of powers in Turakian Age pages 190 & 191. Finally only mages that are aligned with evil (the Unlife) may study the Black Magic (evil witchcraft) or Necromancy schools. For those that choose to study the evil schools, there are some benefits in power, but some hefty prices to pay physically and morally.

A caster can never have more than INT/5 schools he is able to study. A caster may abandon a school to study another after reaching this ceiling of allowed schools, but once a school is abandoned no further spells or enhancement of that schools spells are allowed.

The only modification allowed to spells without doing research (making a Spell Research (Inventor) skill roll) is to remove the apprentice option raising the spell to a basic spell. All other modifications require the skill roll. All modifications will require an expenditure of time, money, and XP, after which the spell research roll can be attempted. If the roll succeeds, the caster may record the new spell, allowing him to caster either variation. If the spell research roll, fails the caster must then expand half again the base amount of time, and money for further research before making another roll. As a general rule of thumb it takes 1 week of research and 50 gold in money and materials per active point increase in the spell.

Finally casters must be aware that there are hot spots where spells may be more powerful, suppressed spots where spells are weakened, and dead spots where spells will not function. Many mystic colleges and deities temples are built on hot spots. Usually an area consecrated to one diety will be a suppressed or dead spot to another deities priests. There are also natural hot spots and suppressed or dead spots. In addition Essence is a flowing field of energy and the flows can act as physical barriers. Sometimes the flows surge into a Essence storm. Essence storms can have unpredictable affects on spells, so a fireball that would normally burst in a 20 foot radius, might burst in a 2000 foot radius during the storm storm. On the other hand a healing spell cast during such a storm may be able to actually raise the dead (of course once the spirit has left the body, the spirit that returns may not necessarily be the same one that left in an uncontrolled resurrection). A caster might try to summon a horse , but instead get flowers or butterflys. Essence storms are a thing to be feared. They usually accompanied by severe natural weather as well like blizzards, tornadoes, hail, and lightning.

k I have a basic idea of my new character. He'll be a Rhiani Warrior-Mage with a full set of twists for you to look at. But I need to know which packages you want me to use to set up the character. I'll send you a background write -up to look over.

Thursday night was semi-productive, mostly due to my being semi-prepared due to work issues (I am a civlian employee of the US Air Force and we were working long hours due to a suprise IG inspection). And two of our players creeped in about an hour late due to suprise visitors. A prospective new player did not appear, but that may be due to my being late in sending him the Maptools server name and password.

However we did get three characters roughed out. We will kick off the campaign next week. I am still open to one or two more players.

We currently have in the group:

A Half Rhiani/K'Ta'Viir Warrior-mage

A Loari Elf Mage and

A Loari Elf Ranger/Priest

I cannibalized the Ulronai from TA for thr Rhiani, and the Elven Package from TA for the Loari, Erlini, and Laerni Elves. I applied some slight modifications to the packages. I lifted the TA magic system almost whole hog. The only change I made is, instead of requireing Power Skill: School for each school, mages buy Power Skill: Essence only once, and Priests buy Power Skill: Faith.

Yes, we need Maptools 1.3b56 before Friday. Brad finished his upgraded macros and video tutorials which I am using to build the campaign. And he used b56 to build the targeting functionality. Now that it is done, RPMiller has mentioned woring on an HD export template to automatically build the token with macros already attached. That will be cool, and by upgrading now we will be ready if or when he has it done.

Also I have built a new HD campaign file, a half K'Ta'Viir racial template, and the Rhiani Warrior Mage package files for you. I also built the Loari Elven racial template for Patti. I will send them tomorrow.

We have finished up the first three characters. They are

Ssam (not a typo thats the way the player really wanted to spell it). An Elven Mage with a broad array of spells.

Talon: A half-K'Ta'Viir Warrior Mage

and Crystyna: An Elven Ranger/Priest.

Bad News...

I am going to have to cancel tonights game... We WILL start next Friday.

My birth mother was just admitted to the Hospital, she had a stroke. We are going to the hospital as quick as I can get ready.

Bad News...

I am going to have to cancel tonights game... We WILL start next Friday.

My birth mother was just admitted to the Hospital, she had a stroke. We are going to the hospital as quick as I can get ready.

Ouch! :( I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things work out okay for all involved in such terrible misfortune. =/

Thanks for the sentiments.

She had a massive stroke caused by blood clots putting pressure on her brain. They had to drill her skull and operate to relieve the pressure. She is partially paralyzed, and they have moved her to ICU. I guess the rest is in God's hands.