Ultraman

OddHat

Thread twinned from Champions forum, for Giant Japanese Monster fans.

ULTRAMAN

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

110 STR 25 31- Lift 104.9ktons; 22d6; [10]

17 DEX 21 12- OCV 6 DCV 6

63 CON 16 22-

30 BODY 10 15-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

14 EGO 8 12- ECV: 5

40 PRE 5 17- PRE Attack: 8d6

10 COM 0 11-

50 PD 3 Total: 50 PD (25 rPD)

45 ED 7 Total: 45 ED (25 rED)

5 SPD 23 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

35 REC 0

125 END 0

118 STUN 0 Total Characteristic Cost: 126

Movement: Running: 36" / 1152"

Flight: 36" / 1152"

Cost Powers END

Martial Arts: Space Police Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 1) Ultra Punch +0 +2 24d6 Strike

5 2) Ultra Chop / Kick -2 +1 26d6 Strike

3 3) Defensive Throw +1 +1 Block, Target Falls

3 4) Martial Throw +0 +1 22d6 +v/5, Target Falls

75 Greater Strength: +75 STR 7

30 Greater Mass: +15 BODY

90 Greater Endurance: +45 CON

25 More Impressive: +25 PRE

30 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -15" 0

68 Reach: Stretching 16", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (120 Active Points); Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) 0

140 Ultra Speed: Running +30" (36" total), x32 Noncombat, Usable As Flight (+1/4), Usable as Swimming (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (140 Active Points) Note: Ultraman usually shouts "Shuwatchu" as he leaps into flight 6

94 Ultra Tough: Armor (25 PD/25 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (94 Active Points) 0

60 Ultra Tough: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

60 Ultra Tough: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% 0

50 Life Support (Eating: Character does not eat; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing; Sleeping: Character does not sleep) 0

53 Gargantuan Size: +10 with All Combat (80 Active Points); Sweep, Spread and other size related uses only Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2) Note: Ultraman is Gargantuan; he can Sweep, Spread, and otherwise affect large areas in ways human scale characters cannot. Levels can't be used for DCV.

18 Fine by Next Scene: Healing 2 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2) 0

37 Clairvoyance Beam: (Total: 37 Active Cost, 37 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus Spatial Awareness (Unusual Group), Range (Real Cost: 27) 0

20 Telepathic Speech: Universal Translator 13-

120 Ultra Special Attacks: Multipower, 120-point reserve Note: Ultraman doesn't blast away with his special attacks, instead using them as fight enders. Often, they are described as exhausting. This is reflected here with their relatively high END cost.

12u 1) Specium Ray: Energy Blast 16d6, Penetrating (+1/2) (120 Active Points) Note: The Specium Ray causes pain to even the toughest monsters, and can often kill a stunned opponent outright (use Haymaker). 12

12u 2) Ultura Slash / Cutting Halo: Killing Attack - Ranged 5d6+1, Penetrating (+1/2) (120 Active Points) 12

12u 3) Ultura Air Catch / Psychokinesis: Telekinesis (80 STR) (120 Active Points) 12

12u 4) Ultura Current: Energy Blast 24d6 (120 Active Points) Note: Ultraman condenses water from the atmosphere into a powerful jet 12

12u 5) Catch Rings / Ultura Spin: Entangle 9d6, 10 DEF, Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (+1/4) (119 Active Points) 12

Perks

12 Contact: Science Special Search Party (SSSP) (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (12 Active Points) 8-

15 Contact: Space Security Board (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Good relationship with Contact), Organization Contact (x3) (15 Active Points) 8-

3 Reputation: Ultraman (A large group) 14-, +1/+1d6

Skills

Teacher at Space University

3 1) KS: Life Forms of the Galaxy 13-

3 2) PS: Teacher 13-

3 AK: Earth 13-

Chief of Space Garison

3 1) KS: Space Law 13-

2 2) KS: Space Law Enforcement World 11-

3 3) PS: Space Police Officer 13-

3 4) AK: Nebula M73 the Land of Light 13-

3 5) Bureaucratics 17-

3 6) Criminology 13-

3 7) Deduction 13-

3 8) Concealment 13-

19 Power: Ultura Powers 21- Note: Ultraman sometimes comes up with odd one use powers that are never seen again.

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 1127

Total Cost: 1252

200+ Disadvantages

15 Physical Limitation: Goes into coma when energy exhausted (Infrequently, Fully Impairing) Note: Ultraman's energy (his END) is tracked by his Color Timer, the blinking light on his chest. If his END hits 0, the Color Timer stops blinking, and Ultraman will go into a coma until he recieves appropriate medical treatment.

15 Physical Limitation: Can not remain in Ultra form on Earth for more than 5 minutes (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)

15 Social Limitation: Secret Identity: Shin Hayata (Frequently, Major)

10 Social Limitation: Subject to Orders from Space Security Board (Occasionally, Major)

10 Hunted: Space Security Board 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

10 Hunted: Giant Monsters and Alien Threats 8- (As Pow, Harshly Punish)

20 Physical Limitation: Size: Gargantuan, -10 DCV, +10 to PER rolls to spot (All the Time, Greatly Impairing) Note: Ultraman is 40 meters tall and weighs 35,000 tons. His mere presence is enough to cause massive damage in an urban environment, and makes virtually all human scale weapons and equipment useless to him.

20 Psychological Limitation: Must Protect the Innocent (Common, Total) Note: Ultraman is a dedicated Space Police officer. He will protect the innocent above all else.

20 Psychological Limitation: Reluctant to speak with Humans (Very Common, Strong) Note: Ultraman very rarely speaks with Humans other than Hayata, presumably to avoid interfering in Earth's development more than he must. He also rarely speaks to monsters or aliens.

917 Experience Points

Total Disadvantage Points: 1252

Background/History: Son of the Director of Space Security for the "Land of Light" (Nebula M78), Ultraman led a distinguished career as a Space Police Officer, eventually becoming the Space Garrison Chief and instructing at the Space University. When pursuing a space criminal to Earth, Ultraman's Travel Sphere crashed into the jet of fellow law officer Shin Hayata. Hayata was killed. To make up for this tragic error, Ultraman merged his life force with Hayata's, reviving Hayata at the price of stranding Ultraman on Earth. The two men now share one life. On Earth, Ultraman has dedicated his life to defending Humanity against the plague of aliens and monsters that seem always about to destroy it. Why these attacks began shortly before Ultraman's arival remains unclear.

Despite the loss of his Travel Sphere (without which Ultraman may not travel through interstellar space), Ultraman remains in occasional contact with his own people.

Personality/Motivation: Ultraman is an exemplary Space Police Officer, brave and dedicated to the protection of the innocent. Given his freedom he would use his great powers to defend the galaxy from cosmic criminals; given the debt of honor he owes to Hayashi, he is satisfied to defend the Earth.

Quote: Shuwatch!

Powers/Tactics: Ultraman has vast superhuman size and strength, and is nearly invulnerable to conventional weapons (though the attacks of Daikaiju can still harm him, as can advanced military hardware). He is nearly invulnerable to environmental damage, has a wide range of energy projection powers based on stored solar power, can fly at over Mach V in Earth's atmosphere, and has shown many other powers beside.

However, Ultraman is not invincible. Giant monsters and aliens like himself can harm him, and the very best of Earth's military hardware is a legitimate threat. Most importantly, Ultraman's energy in Earth's atmosphere is limited. On his chest is the Color Timer, a glowing light that tracks his power expenditure. If his power is exhausted in battle (his END reaches 0), or if he remains in his Ultra form in Earth's atmosphere for more than 5 minutes, he will colapse into a coma. When his END becomes low, or when he comes close to remaining on Earth past the four minute mark, Ultraman will retreat out of sight and resume the form of Shin Hayata.

Ultraman will try to move combat away from Urban areas if at all possible, and will do all he can to avoid human casualties. Sometimes this is not possible, but it is his top priority. He does not like to be called on unless there is no reasonable alternative.

If Ultraman is injured, he will always appear restored when Hayata resumes his Ultra Form.

Campaign Use: Created by Eiji Tsuburaya (who also created Godzilla), Ultraman is in many ways the Silver Age Superman of Japanese pop culture, the first and greatest Superhero of the many that followed. He was actually preceded by Supergiants / Starman (a human sized character similar to Ultraman in his back story and with the powers of flight and invulnerability), and by the charcters of the TV show Ultra Q. Ultra Q followed the adventures of the Science Patrol as they fought giant monsters using super science and advanced military hardware; Ultraman changed the formula by giving the Science Patrol a superhero who could face the monsters on their own terms. Ultraman inspired an entire genre of Giant Superheroes and Size Changing / Transforming heroes that remains vital to this day.

Designing Ultraman in HERO terms was challenging, as the physics and rules of his world don’t quite match a default HERO campaign. He should be powerful enough to face off against even the deadliest Giant Monsters and Military Hardware in your game world, but not invincible. This version is scaled to deal with Giant Monsters and military hardware to the standard of the Monster Island 5th Edition source book. If your campaign’s giant monsters are more or less powerful, adjust the write up accordingly.

Appearance: 40 meters tall, 35,000 tons, silver skinned alien giant. See picture.

Character by Eiji Tsuburaya. Character Sheet by Robert Dorf.

Re: Utraman

I have vague memories of an episode where Ultraman shot water to extinguish a fire (and no' date=' I'm not confusing Ultraman with Giant Robot :-)[/quote']

See his Ultura Current power, a 24d6 water blast. As per the SFX vs SFX rules, it can be used to extinguish a fire, or his Power Skill can be used to turn it into a dispell.

I've re-watched the entire original series over the last year. This is gonna be one heck of a GenCon game. :D

There was a con several years back where I organized a MSTing of two translated-badly-into-English Ultraman episodes. It's hard to describe the hack job this thing was -- including editing bits and pieces of other episodes into one episode for no apparent reason. One of the episodes had the producers borrowing the Godzilla suit and augmenting it with a lizard-like ruff that got torn off in their wrestling match. (The hybrid monster did not breathe radiation but was clearly recognizable otherwise as Godzilla.)

I'm not familiar with the Ultraman mythos. Did he ever pick up any nemeses or recurring villains? Is anyone on Earth Hunting him? How much of his consciousness does Ultraman share with Hayata? Are there other Space Patrol officers he can call upon for aid in a truly serious emergency (one that threatens the imminent destruction of the entire planet Earth)?

Oh yes, I have questions....

In the Japanese version, the ruff-Zilla episode is actually pretty good. Tsuburaya created and owned the rights to many of the great monster costumes, including Godzilla, and often re-used them for Ultraman. For its time and genre, the production values were excellent.

A few monsters re-appeared several times, usually other members of the same monster species. The Baltans are the closest he has to an arch-foe; an intelligent race with size changing and a long list of other powers, they hoped to colonize Earth. Their champion can almost give Ultraman a fair fight one to one. There's also the Zarab, who is pretty much an Evil Ultraman.

Ultraman and Hayata don't seem to share much of their consciouness, and I can only recall seing them "talk" twice, though I may be forgetting an episode or two. Hayata appears to forget their adventures when the two are finally separated.

There was a con several years back where I organized a MSTing of two translated-badly-into-English Ultraman episodes. It's hard to describe the hack job this thing was -- including editing bits and pieces of other episodes into one episode for no apparent reason. One of the episodes had the producers borrowing the Godzilla suit and augmenting it with a lizard-like ruff that got torn off in their wrestling match. (The hybrid monster did not breathe radiation but was clearly recognizable otherwise as Godzilla.)

I'm not familiar with the Ultraman mythos. Did he ever pick up any nemeses or recurring villains? Is anyone on Earth Hunting him? How much of his consciousness does Ultraman share with Hayata? Are there other Space Patrol officers he can call upon for aid in a truly serious emergency (one that threatens the imminent destruction of the entire planet Earth)?

Oh yes, I have questions....

were these the episode aired on the foxbox and caled ultraman anitiga?

were these the episode aired on the foxbox and caled ultraman anitiga?

No, these were syndicated episodes from the 1960s -- the same run (I think) that Oddhat's been watching in Japanese with English subtitles. They were on a borderline-bootleg tape I'd rented at a video store to check out for MSTing potential for the con. Joel and the Bots frequently mocked classic (and not-so-classic) Japanese TV series that were badly dubbed into English. One example is the submarine adventure Mighty Jack, much beloved in Japan.

Man, this takes me back. I loved watching the original series on television as a child in the 1960s. OddHat, this writeup is beautiful -- I can't see anything it needs. :thumbup:

I've re-watched the entire original series over the last year. This is gonna be one heck of a GenCon game. :D

Is this what you wanted those "cosmic being photos" for? If so, geez I wish I could be in that game. :cool:

Man, this takes me back. I loved watching the original series on television as a child in the 1960s. OddHat, this writeup is beautiful -- I can't see anything it needs. :thumbup:

Is this what you wanted those "cosmic being photos" for? If so, geez I wish I could be in that game. :cool:

Yup, the Cosmic Being Photos are for this game. :)