Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom

Dr. Hercules

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom

I found this today while surfing the net.

The author says he wrote this book for his son, to introduce the pulps to a new generation. :thumbup:

This comes out May 16th.

Here's the link:

http://www.docwilde.com/

He's also writing a sequel titled Doc Wilde and the Daughter of Darkness.

i tried finding this at wal-mart no luck

Guest steamteck

Hmmm ... swashbuckling kids ...? Nah' date=' that is not the Baron's fair. But I nevertheless salute the approach - BEST OF LUCK![/quote']

I agree best of luck but I hated kid heroes even when I was a kid myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds more to me like Johnny Quest than true Pulp... not that Johnny Quest doesn't have a heavy Pulp feel to it' date=' in its own way. ;)[/quote']

Hi, Steve & co.,

Just curious how it seems more like Jonny Quest than "true" pulp? Is it simply that there are kids in on the adventure, or is it missing some elements that would make it actual pulp?

I ask because I've enjoyed a Jonny Quest cartoon here and there over the years, but I wrote Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom out of a lifetime's enjoyment of actual pulp fiction, including classic SF like Kuttner and Leinster and Bradbury, classic heroic fantasy like Howard, Leiber, and Moore, classic horror like Lovecraft, Derleth, C.A. Smith, and Bloch, and most importantly classic hero pulps like Dent, Gibson, and Page.

Closer to home for this forum, I'm a longtime pulp gamer. I started with FGU's Daredevils back in 1982, and there's hardly a pulp-oriented game since that I haven't played at least a bit of, all the way up to Savage Worlds and Spirit of the Century. I still have my first edition boxed set of Justice, Inc sitting within sight of my desk.

I also did a good amount of work on the lost rpg PULP! which was Daedelus's 1930s juncture Feng Shui pulp game, and which unfortunately was never published because of Daedelus's financial meltdown.

Doc Wilde owes much to Doc Savage, though he is a different character, and this first book also draws strongly from the Dagon stories of H.P. Lovecraft. There are two kids strongly involved in the action, but the kids act with intelligence, skill, and a lot more maturity than, say, Doc Savage's aides tended to show.

The second book draws inspiration from Walter Gibson's Shadow stories and Sax Rohmer's tales of Fu Manchu.

I created the series for two audiences: today's kids (like my son) who aren't getting their fair share of good ol' pulp adventure, and us older folks who are still carrying the torch. So far the response from both groups is overwhelmingly positive.

Basically, if it's not "true" pulp, it's not for a lack of trying. ;)

Check out the site at www.DocWilde.com. You can read a fairly lengthy excerpt there. Also, on the page of reviews, you can find comments like these:

Pulp historian (and Doc Savage novelist) Will Murray:

"Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom is a pulp-pounding ribbiting croaker of a tale!"

Novelist Barry Hunter:

"It's a true delight...Tim Byrd has taken Doc Savage, added in a pinch of Robert E. Howard, a liberal dose of H.P. Lovecraft, and mixed it all together in a well done, enchanting pastiche of the pulps that will appeal to the adult audience as well as the young adult readers. It is an over the top at times, rip roaring adventure that returns us to the days of yesteryear and leaves us wanting more. I hope to see more from Tim Byrd and Doc Wilde in the future."

Pulp writer Ron Fortier at Pulp Fiction Reviews:

All the trappings and clichés of the hero pulps are here, but presented in such a fresh and carefree manner, the reader will be swept away by the outlandish exploits performed by this one-of-a-kind family. The Wildes are old fashioned heroes in the best sense of the word and their adventure is sure to thrill pulp fans, both old and new.”

I hope you'll give the Wildes a chance. Like most books, the book may not be at Walmart, but it is at actual bookstores like Borders, Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and many independents (it's published by Putnam, and they're pretty good at getting books out there). And though I haven't posted the details on the website yet, I'm offering autographed copies. Oh, and I'll be at DragonCon, if any of you are going to be there.

Best,

Tim Byrd

www.DocWilde.com

www.tim-byrd.com

Hi, Steve & co.,

Just curious how it seems more like Jonny Quest than "true" pulp? Is it simply that there are kids in on the adventure, or is it missing some elements that would make it actual pulp?

Tim Byrd

www.DocWilde.com

www.tim-byrd.com

Because it doesn't have a lost land! (Unless it does. I'm just spouting off in a general mood of coffee-fired monomania.)

Seriously, welcome aboard.

Now, write the "Doc Wilde" lost land adventure already.

(Edit.) Oh. And let's get that rep account going.

Guest steamteck

I read your excerpt and kids or no it looked pretty fun. My son is a big Doc Savage fan and would probably like it.

Because it doesn't have a lost land! (Unless it does. I'm just spouting off in a general mood of coffee-fired monomania.)

Seriously, welcome aboard.

Now, write the "Doc Wilde" lost land adventure already.

It kinda has a lost land. Or a perilous, uncharted land anyway. And I'll certainly be playing with ye olde lost world romance in future books. How could I not? :thumbup:

Best,

Tim

http://www.DocWilde.com

I read your excerpt and kids or no it looked pretty fun. My son is a big Doc Savage fan and would probably like it.

Glad you liked it, and I hope your son does as well.

It really was a labor of love, and I've been thrilled at the pulp community's response to it.

Best,

Tim

http://www.DocWilde.com

• 2 months later...

Hi folks.

For the interested, I figured I'd update you on my novel, Doc Wilde and The Frogs of Doom.

cache_46343903.jpg?t=1235998719

Sales have been excellent, leading Putnam to commit to making it a series.

Reviews have also been overwhelmingly positive. Here are a couple of examples (many more are on the Reviews page at the Doc Wilde site):

"This is good, heady stuff. The writing flows beautifully, with occasional forays into laugh-out-loudness...The science is artfully articulated and seamlessly stitched into the fabric of the story. There are good guys and bad guys, car chases, cliffhangers, betrayals, action sequences to rival Indiana Jones, and an explosion of frogs that defies taxonomy..."

—Sean Melican, Ideomancer Speculative Fiction

"Doc and the kids take to the autogyro and head south. In the primordial rain forest, they’ll encounter powers so strong as to change a man into a, well, man-frog. They’ll deal with political intrigue and religious hysteria. The party will be forcefully separated, death will be threatened, danger will loom, unexpected (but completely logical) skills will reveal themselves to aid in the saving of the day, and things will seem darkest just before they go completely black. And they’ll eventually face down a god...But never fear: the Wildes are here."

Ian Randal Strock, SF Scope

I also want to invite you again to the website, www.DocWilde.com, where you'll find much more info. You can also sign up for the upcoming newsletter, which along with various bits of Doc Wilde news will include a regular "Doc Wilde's Cliffhanger Survival Tips" feature.

Best,

Tim Byrd

www.DocWilde.com

Home of the FRogs of Doom! :eek::eek::eek: