Dangerous Dao

AlHazred

For reasons I will keep to myself for now, I'm designing pre-gen superheroes that I want to be somewhat... off.

Essentially, I want each of them to be a perfectly reasonable, playable character, but with some flaw or element which will discourage people from just using them permanently; I want to encourage a certain subgroup of lazy gamers to create characters they want to play rather than just use what's available.

Please note, the gender of each hero is also supposed to be player's choice.

My superhero creation skills being a little rusty from disuse, I'd love to get some criticism, commentary, etc.

[b]Dangerous Dao - [/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
25    STR     15   25      14-       HTH Damage 5d6  END [2]
23    DEX     39   23      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
20    CON     20   20      13-
20    BODY    20   20      13-
15    INT     5   15      12-       PER Roll 14-
18    EGO     16   18      13-       ECV: 6
15    PRE     5   15      12-       PRE Attack: 3d6
10    COM     0   10      11-
10    PD      5   10/22             10/22 PD (10/22 rPD)
10    ED      6   10/22             10/22 ED (10/22 rED)
6    SPD     27   6                 Phases:  2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
10    REC     2   10
40    END     0   40
50    STUN    7   50
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
20    LEAP     0   20"                20" forward, 10" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 167[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
15     [b][i]Ch'i-Powered Leaping[/i][/b]: Leaping +15" (20" forward, 10" upward) - END=1
40     [b][i]Ch'i Powers[/i][/b]: Multipower, 40-point reserve - END=
4u     1)  [b][i]Ch'i Control[/i][/b]: Simplified Healing 4d6 (40 Active Points) - END=4
3u     2)  [b][i]Iron Shirt[/i][/b]: Armor (12 PD/12 ED) (36 Active Points); Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) - END=0
4u     3)  [b][i]Lei Kung's Fire[/i][/b]: Energy Blast 8d6 (40 Active Points) - END=4
3u     4)  [b][i]Ox-Felling Blow[/i][/b]: HKA 2d6 (3 1/2d6 w/STR) (30 Active Points) - END=3
4u     5)  [b][i]Sublime Energy Control[/i][/b]: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection (40 Active Points) - END=0
1u     6)  [b][i]Unshakable Balance[/i][/b]: Flight 5" (10 Active Points); Only To Stand And Move On Small, Fragile Surfaces (-1/2), Only In Contact With A Surface (-1/4) - END=1
1u     7)  [b][i]Wire-Fu Wall Scaling[/i][/b]: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Requires An Acrobatics Roll  (-1/2) - END=0
8     [b][i]Heavy[/i][/b]: Knockback Resistance -4" - END=0
6     [b][i]Tactical Insight[/i][/b]: +2 PER with all Sense Groups - END=0
10     [b][i]Toughness[/i][/b]: Damage Resistance (10 PD/10 ED) - END=0

[b]POWERS Cost: 99[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]MARTIAL ARTS[/u][/b]
     Sumo Wrestling
4      1)  Escape:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 60 STR vs. Grabs
3      2)  Grab:  1/2 Phase, -1 OCV, -1 DCV, Grab Two Limbs, 55 STR for holding on
3      3)  Grappling Throw:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +2 DCV, 11d6 Strike; Target Falls; Must Follow Grab
4      4)  Shove:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 60 STR to Shove
4      5)  Root:  1/2 Phase, +0 OCV, +0 DCV, 60 STR to resist Shove; Block, Abort
4      6)  Slap:  1/2 Phase, +2 OCV, +0 DCV, 11d6 Strike
16      7)  +4 HTH Damage Class(es)

[b]MARTIAL ARTS Cost: 38[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
6      +2 with Sumo Wrestling

3      Acrobatics 14-
0      Acting 8-
0      AK: Mongolia 8-
3      Breakfall 14-
0      Climbing 8-
0      Concealment 8-
0      Conversation 8-
0      Deduction 8-
5      Defense Maneuver I-II 
2      KS: Sumo Wrestling 11-
2      KS: The Martial Arts World 11-
0      Language:  Mongolian (idiomatic; literate)
4      Language:  English (completely fluent; literate)
0      Paramedics 8-
0      Persuasion 8-
0      PS: Wrestler 8-
0      Shadowing 8-
0      Stealth 8-
5      Tactics 13-
0      TF:  Two-Wheeled Muscle-Powered Ground Vehicles

[b]SKILLS Cost: 30[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Reputation:  Master Sumo Wrestler (A small to medium sized group [Martial Arts fans]) 8-, +1/+1d6

[b]PERKS Cost: 1[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
15      Danger Sense (self only, in combat) 14-/12-

[b]TALENTS Cost: 15[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
5     Distinctive Features:  Enormous Asian With Dragon Tatoos (Easily Concealed; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)
10     Distinctive Features:  Style (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Large Group)
10     Enraged:  when insulted through cultural misunderstandings (Uncommon), go 11-, recover 14-
20     Hunted:  Green Dragon 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Capture/Kill)
30     Hunted:  VIPER 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Capture/Kill)
5     Physical Limitation:  Heavy (weighs 400 lbs) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15     Psychological Limitation:  Code Of The Martial Arts Master (Very Common, Moderate) [Notes: The Martial Arts master’s code of behavior demands he never refuse a challenge from another fighter. He can, if he chooses, answer a challenge by directing one of his students to meet the challenger; he usually does this to “screen” challengers so he only has to fight the best opponents.]
20     Psychological Limitation:  Code Versus Killing (Common, Total)
10     Reputation:  Hands Registered As Lethal Weapons, 8- (Extreme)
10     Rivalry:  Professional (other close combatant PCs; Rival is As Powerful; Rival is a Player Character; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
15     Social Limitation:  Public Identity (Frequently, Major)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 150[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 0
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 350

BACKGROUND

Master Dao is an aged Mongolian master of Sumo Wrestling in its most ancient form -- the ancient warrior art of Sumai. "Dao" is the master's nickname, indicative of the internal balance brought about by years of adherence to ancient principles of good diet, exercise, and mental and moral development. In recent years, the monastery where Dao practiced was closed by the authorities, who were fearful of the master's unknown political agenda and worldwide following. Journeying to America, Dao found a country with much promise, but rife with moral corruption. In addition, the opportunity to demonstrate the benefits of Sumai proved irresistable to the master. Using the ancient principles of Sumai and Dao's own formidable talents, the superhero Dangerous Dao was born!

POWERS/TACTICS

Dao's powers stem from mastery of Ch'i energy, which can be concentrated and redirected to perform a variety of effects -- but only 40 Active Points' worth can be active at one time. Dao's Iron Shirt ability reflects the master's resistance to attacks in most areas of the body; the 15- Activation Roll should be made with each attack to see if it has hit an unprotected spot, whenever Dao has the ability active.

Re: Dangerous Dao

Looks fun. :)

His own average blow will stun him unless his Iron Shirt is on, which suggests that it should be on most or all of the time. He has no maneuvers that add to Move Through, and his leaping isn't accurate. I'd suggest moving the Iron Shirt out of his MP, putting the Leaping into the MP, and giving up a point of SPD and maybe some of his Tactical Insight, BODY or KB resistance to make up the difference in points.

A Mongolian Sumo is odd, but not impossible (there are plenty of foreign Sumotori), but if he ever competed he should have at least 1 point in Japanese. There's no real Sumo circuit outside of Japan.

I won't suggest anything to boost his combat abilities much more, since the point is to get your players to make their own characters (boy do I know that problem).

it occorred to me that the allieration in this characters namr won't work the namedao is pronoced "tao "not "dow" i learned this in a latter collum reffering to the infinty inc villan tau jones

Assuming we're all talking about the same thing, "Tao" is an older spelling but "Dow" is in fact how it's pronounced.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks that whoever first transliterated the Chinese languages into the Roman alphabet must have been French.

Mongolian sumotori were not uncommon last time I paid attention.

It does seem a little uncommon that a sumotori would be trained in the walk-on-rice-paper-and-not-leave-a-trace technique...

And he's a little thin skinned, even with the iron shirt active. Without, well, best not to get hit...

• 5 years later...