Pre and Postcognition?

GoldenAge

Re: Pre and Postcognition?

Found this:

Crystal Ball, Divinatory: Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group)

(40 Active Points); OAF Fragile (-1¼), Precognition Only (-1), Requires A Magic Roll (-½), Time Modifiers (-½).

Total cost: 9 points.

But a crystal ball isn't exactly what I was looking for.

Actually the character that has these powers is a math savant who uses high level calculations to predict the future or factors in all the details to virtually see the past.

It'd take extra time, gestures (he does the calculations by hand), maybe a found focus (napkin and pen), concentration... Precognition (or Retrocognition) Only (-1): Ordinarily, a character who buys Precognitive Clairsentience can use both normal Clairsentience (perceiving at a distance) and Precognition (perceiving the future). With this Limitation, the character can only sense the future (or past); he cannot use the perceive-at-a-distance aspect of Clairsentience.

Hmmmmmm...

Okay How about this:

Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group);

- OAF - Expendable (easy to recover) Fragile (-1/4) - Personal (+0)

[Focus is found writing surface and tool/sharpie on cardboard - pencil on napkin - chalk on blacktop or even a stick in loose dirt] (-1 1/4)

- Extra Time: 1 minute, cannot activate other powers while activating Retrocognition (-1 3/4)

- Concentrate: 0DCV - Must concentrate throughout (-1)

- Blackout (-1/2)

- Retrocognition Only (-1)

- Requires a Matamatics Skill Roll (-1/2).

Active Cost = 40

Total Real Cost = 6

Thoughts?

I haven't built a character with such an ability before but here's how I might do it based on the described sfx:

18 Based on the current information... (This is what happened/This is what will happen): Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Alterable Size, Discriminatory, Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase) (75 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Time Modifiers ((5e, page 94; 5er, page 142) Precognition or Retrocognition with this Limitation is harder to use over greater spans of time.; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (Requires some form of forensic data; -1/4) - END=7

I haven't built a character with such an ability before but here's how I might do it based on the described sfx:

18 Based on the current information... (This is what happened/This is what will happen): Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Alterable Size, Discriminatory, Mobile Perception Point (can move up to 6" per Phase) (75 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Gestures, Requires Gestures throughout (-1/2), Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Time Modifiers ((5e, page 94; 5er, page 142) Precognition or Retrocognition with this Limitation is harder to use over greater spans of time.; -1/2), Physical Manifestation (Requires some form of forensic data; -1/4) - END=7

Questions:

Why would it need to be Alterable Size and Discriminatory?

Does it really need to be mobile?

Questions:

Why would it need to be Alterable Size and Discriminatory?

Does it really need to be mobile?

I was envisioning the main character on the CBS series NUMB3RS.

• Alterable Size could be a quick and dirty form of Megascale.
  • Discriminatory is just flavor that depends greatly on how much data there is to work with.
  • Mobile might allow mapping out a target's movements over a course of time.

None of these parts are essential though.

I was envisioning the main character on the CBS series NUMB3RS.

• Alterable Size could be a quick and dirty form of Megascale.
  • Discriminatory is just flavor that depends greatly on how much data there is to work with.
  • Mobile might allow mapping out a target's movements over a course of time.

None of these parts are essential though.

Me likey! Thanks! :thumbup:

This is something I wrote up for a super detective character.

Imaginative Reconstruction AKA "CSI Flashbacks" AKA "Superslueth": Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), Rapid (x100): +2 (46 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Retrocognition Only (Sees 5 minutes of "replay" in 1 phase; -1), 3 Recoverable Charges (To recover charges, must examine evidence or actively pursue a case, and must make a skill roll on any "detective" type skill; -3/4), Blackout (Ceases to pay attention to environment; -1/2), Vague and Unclear (Won't solve the crime for him; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Must see the evidence (during or before trance) Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (-1/2), Requires A Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points Meditation ; -1/4), Activation Roll 14-, Burnout (-1/4)

Note: This is Retrocognition (psychic power or just the workings of a brilliant subconscious mind?) that allows the character to percieve the events that led to the evidence he is looking at or has looked at recently; crime scene, body, weapon or tool that was used, etc. It may hit him while actively thinking about it, in meditation, or even while doing something else. Make the Meditation roll at -2 and then roll <= 14 each phase to continue, up to 3 phases.

Real Cost 6

End Cost 10

Lucius Alexander

Precognition, only to tell that Lucius Alexander will use a palindromedary tagline again - Real Cost 0