OAF or IAF?

phydaux

I have a character who's a Mystic - Decent sized VPP with the restriction "Magic Powers, only changable out of combat."

I don't have a problem with this at all.

Some of you old timers may remember an old anamated movie called "Wizard." It's about two brothers born to a female archmage.

She loved both her sons, and taught them everything she knew. But the older brother was more talented than the younger, and this quickly developed into a rivalry. Try as she might, the archmage was unable to quell the bitterness between her two sons. When she fianlly dies, the two brothers went their seperate ways.

The talanted wizard grew into a powerful and evil dark wizard. He began to gather armies and dark fowllowers to himself. The younger brother grew into a kindly wizard. Eventually the dark wizard sent his armies out to concor the world, and the young brother knew that the time had come for him to finally defeat his brother or die in the attempt.

The brothers meet and begin their wizard duel, but all goes much the same as it always had when they were young - The dark wizard soon overwhelms and overcomes his younger brother.

"You always were better than me," the young brother says. "But here's something mom taught me one day when you weren't around."

The good wizard reached into his robes, took out a German Luger, and at point blank range emptied the magazine into his brother's chest. The dark wizard collapsed bonelessly into a heap, defeated.

My question is, is the pistol a OAF, or a IAF?

During combat, once the wizard puls the pistol it is obvious what the pistol is and what it does and it could be grabbed out of the wizard's hand, so it should be an OAF. But no one knows the Wizard carries a rosco until he pulls it out, so could be an IAF.

Re: OAF or IAF?

During combat, once the wizard puls the pistol it is obvious what the pistol is and what it does and it could be grabbed out of the wizard's hand, so it should be an OAF. But no one knows the Wizard carries a rosco until he pulls it out, so could be an IAF.

It's definitely an OAF.

Think about warrior character in a fantasy setting that uses a sword, bow & arrows and daggers. Do opponents immediately recognize that they are armed with daggers? Usually they don't because they are concealed or even hidden in plain sight by the obviously more dangerous sword and bow.

Also, pulling out such a 'mundane' weapon in a Wizard duel could probably count as a surprise move. But even disregarding this possibility pulling out a weapon is only a Half Phase Action. If the evil wizard pauses to gloat this could occur right afterwards and he could do nothing (except perhaps abort to a defensive spell, but even this would be negated if using surprise).

"You always were better than me," the young brother says. "But here's something mom taught me one day when you weren't around."

The good wizard reached into his robes, took out a German Luger, and at point blank range emptied the magazine into his brother's chest. The dark wizard collapsed bonelessly into a heap, defeated.

One of my favorite movies, by the way. Ralph Bakshi!

OAF, since, while he's USING it, it's obvious. Even if the other wizard didn't know what it was, he'd know it must be important by the way the good wizard treated it (and aimed it!).

What COULD be added is some sort of Invisibility or Stealth/Concealment for "up until the power gets used". There are plenty of other powers that automatically get that by their definition (Wolverine's claws, a pocketed cell phone, even Harry Potter's wand is usually out of sight 'til he needs it!)

Sleight of Hand might be a better skill, now that I think of it. Usually I think of stealing something, not hiding it 'til you need it....

Korren

Slight of Hand would not allow you to successfully hide it. If you use slight of hand to take something without someone noticing it, but have no ability to Conceal it, then they will see that you are standing there holding it, even if they didn’t notice you take it in the first place. Conceal is definitely the by the book way to do it.

You don't really need to worry about Concealment unless you're being searched.

Power Activation: Instant Powers have it to.

when you pull out the gun you have Activated your Power. You haven't Used It, just Activated an Instant Power. At that point what is it? Well, Obvious for one thing, it's a gun. Accessible for another, since it can be easily removed.

OAF.

Inactive - in your robes

Active - in your hand, pointed at someone usually.

Attack Action - using the thing.

Another example: Every time we see *snikt* and Wolvie has his claws out he's just Activated his HKA. He'll start using them when he takes Attack Actions.