Extra-planar Fantasy Shout out

Killer Shrike

Re: Extra-planar Fantasy Shout out

Zelazny and Saberhagen also had a book where Edgar Allan Poe switched with himself. The Poe we know was from the other side writing stories about what he remembered from his home realm, while our Poe became an adventurer over there. I don't remember the name.

David Drake's Isles books had a lot of dimensional travel and time paradox in them, especially the parts with Cashel and Ilna.

CES

I forgot The Isles series. It's mostly time travel as I recall but it's very interesting stuff.

The Death Gate books could fit in here as they take place on a shattered world broken into elemental planes and a deadly maze.

I don't know if dream invasions fit but there's a subgenre of them like Dreamscape, Nightmare on Elm Street, Night Warriors, Nightmask, the Simon and Kirby Sandman.

CES

I forgot The Isles series. It's mostly time travel as I recall but it's very interesting stuff.

major plot points was about time travel like Tenocritus changing places and arriving in the future, Garric arriving in the past as a stranger to help Ilna, Garric going into a future after he had failed to unite the Isles.

But almost everything Cashel was involved in took place sideways to the Isles. Wizards and demigods said to themselves we need a brick to kick someone's butt for us. Who can we get? Let's call Cashel and give him the job.

CES

The Death Gate books could fit in here as they take place on a shattered world broken into elemental planes and a deadly maze.

I don't know if dream invasions fit but there's a subgenre of them like Dreamscape, Nightmare on Elm Street, Night Warriors, Nightmask, the Simon and Kirby Sandman.

CES

Not to mention Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath and The Silver Key, Lovecraft's foray into Spenser's turf.

• 2 weeks later...

Also pretty exotic is the Shattered World duology: back in the distant past, the world is destroyed and wizards are able to save some of the population by essentially creating a giant belt of air around the sun and artificial gravity. The "world" is today made up of planetary fragments, which range in size from little uninhabitable rocks, through flying castles, to small countries.

You could prop it up in the sky over Esoterica.

cheers, Mark

Door Into Fire, with the building whose doors go to other worlds. Treated as mere background, not given much detail.

Chessboards: Planes of Possibility is an idea-book. It talks about how to set up planes, how to group them in meta-planes, how to connect them (IOW, how to do planar travel), and so on. More "how to make a setting" than a setting itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone familiar with Everway? A soft-fuzzy FRPG that came out several years ago from WotC, they were selling it cheap (I got mine for $5 - a great deal for a complete RPG!). I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. I think I heard that some other company took it over. WotC apparently had some other Fantasy RPG system they were working with and decided to make that one exclusively.

Anyway, the mileu that Everyway sets up is a more or less random, multi-threaded chain of worlds, traversable by portals in various locations. The city of Everway was centrally located to a large number of portals (72 IIRC). Some worlds are pleasant, some not, some are very dangerous, and some are practically empty.

In general, I've never been a big fan of multi-planar games. It seems to me there ought to be plenty to do on a single world. Does going to another plane of existence serve any purpose that simply getting on a ship and sailing to another land wouldn't? What's wrong with the "main" world, that you have to go somewhere else for adventure?