Re: Just to prove I'm not a complete Comeliness Grognard

How 'bout this:

STR is changed to "Muscle"

DEX is changed to "Agility"

SPD is changed to "Turns"

PD is changed to "Kinetic Defence"

ED is changed to "Non-kinetic Defence"

END is changed to "Vitality"

OECV is changed to "Force" (as in "The Force")

DECV is changed to Something that Starts with Q (Quiet mind), or H (Hold on sanity, Heart), or L (Littany against fear).

Then we have chars starting with

ABCDEFIKMNOPQRSTV

one each. And that leaves us with nine more letters for optional chars (GHJLUWXYZ).

U = Unchangable (the new name for Power Defense)

H = Hard Headed (the new name for Mental Def)

J = Jumping distance (leaping)

L = Land speed (running)

W = Water speed (swimming)

That just leaves G, X, Y, and Z. So:

G = Language: German

X = PS: Xylophone Player

Y = Multiform into a Yak

Z = SC: Zymurgy

Re: Good night, sweet Comeliness

I will miss Comeliness, but I understand.

Well nothing say you can't still use it. Of course that only applies to your games and like minded GMs. Of course using Com or anything else is really the same way.

Incidentally, Comeliness was one of the things that finally brought me over to Hero from G.U.R.P.S. I was tired of only being Very Handsome. :D

It was a reason I picked Hero System over GURPS myself. I'm surprised this half joking thread attracted a much as attention as it did honestly. It still seems like many people care an awful lot positively or negatively about the old char.

Resistance to change is human nature. Everyone has things they love about Hero and things they dislike. Any one person's preferences is never going to align perfectly with everyone else's. Why do you think pretty much every role playing game out there is house ruled by someone?

Resistance to change is human nature. Everyone has things they love about Hero and things they dislike. Any one person's preferences is never going to align perfectly with everyone else's. Why do you think pretty much every role playing game out there is house ruled by someone?

I know all of that just myself and others that have expressed regret of over Comeliness being dropped (and argued against in the 6th ed forums) has been pegged "resisting change because they're scared of it" or "obsessing over something minor and insignificant". I'm simply amused that for something so insignificant it seems to stir some strong feelings on both sides of the argument. Personally, I feel its removal takes some value away from the system for me and even if the rest of 6th convinces me to purchase it I'll be adding the Com char back.

I apologize if I came off as belittling your feelings. That was certainly not my intent. 'Fear of change' was not meant to dismiss or invalidate how you feel. Change is a very real and very powerful motivator.

I also think that people that post here are invested in this game, otherwise, they would not bother to post here. Just as strongly as you feel that COM is a defining part of the Hero System, I am sure there is at least one other person, who, just as strongly feels it is not.

Since there is still a mechanic within the game to represent how attractive a character can be, my own concerns are lessoned. In all of the games I have played in, I have been the only one to bother to put points into Comeliness. Now, when I use to play G.U.R.P.S. with a different group, there was another player that would pay to be Very Handsome. So I can see valid reasons for it to be relegated to an optional talent.

Obviously, Comeliness plays a very vibrant role in your games. I can not deny that. However, it seems it does not play such an important role in Steve's game. This should, in no way, infer that Steve is saying or even thinking you are doing it wrong. This should also not be viewed as a snap decision or just change for change's sake.

I apologize if I came off as belittling your feelings.

No problem there. I thought you'd misunderstood me.

That was certainly not my intent. 'Fear of change' was not meant to dismiss or invalidate how you feel. Change is a very real and very powerful motivator.

I also think that people that post here are invested in this game, otherwise, they would not bother to post here. Just as strongly as you feel that COM is a defining part of the Hero System, I am sure there is at least one other person, who, just as strongly feels it is not.

Oh more than one.

Since there is still a mechanic within the game to represent how attractive a character can be, my own concerns are lessoned. In all of the games I have played in, I have been the only one to bother to put points into Comeliness. Now, when I use to play G.U.R.P.S. with a different group, there was another player that would pay to be Very Handsome. So I can see valid reasons for it to be relegated to an optional talent.

Obviously, Comeliness plays a very vibrant role in your games. I can not deny that. However, it seems it does not play such an important role in Steve's game. This should, in no way, infer that Steve is saying or even thinking you are doing it wrong. This should also not be viewed as a snap decision or just change for change's sake.

Exactly. My suggestion was to make it optional. Well explicitly optional, everything in the game already is optional. Unfortunately that's not the road taken.

My point was that during the "debates" on the issue there was a great deal of dismissal of the entire as "trivial" and I don't feel it was on either side. Trivial things don't stir up as much contention*. That's all. For example the Hex vs Meters or Seduction renamed Charm issues hasn't generated nearly any heat. I think the "Trivial" label applies more to them the Great Com Wars.

*With the caveat that geeks like to argue so the scale is somewhat different among them. :)

We don't use any house rules in our Champions campaign. That's more due to the fact we have multiple GMs than an objection to house rules per se, but I doubt we're unique.

My point was that during the "debates" on the issue there was a great deal of dismissal of the entire as "trivial" and I don't feel it was on either side.

Ah, yes, then I did completely miss your point and I apologize for that.

Guest steamteck

Re: Good night, sweet Comeliness

I will miss Comeliness, but I understand.

Incidentally, Comeliness was one of the things that finally brought me over to Hero from G.U.R.P.S. I was tired of only being Very Handsome. :D

That's funny originally way back in the day decades ago. We were going to use HERO for Supers and SF and GURPS for fantasy but the COM vs Perk thing ended up making everything HERO.