Bloody?

Fearghus

I have been thinking lately about a concept. I might try in my heroic games. It doesn't fit the genre for a supers game, but more others it might fit.

It occurs to me that a character fights at 100% effectiveness weather they have all their body or weather they are down to one body. For supers this is fine... even for more cinematic games this is fine. How many times has the hero been on his last leg... almost dead... then... he gets a boost of inspiration or something and starts fighting better than ever.

But if you want more realism. I was thinking that it might makes sense to start applying combat penalties the more injured you are. In my mind Stun would not be part of this equation only Body. The penalties should not be massive especially since a +1 in either direction in combat is a huge boost so I am thinking if a character is at %50 of their normal max Body they take a -1 OCV and DCV. Call this condition Bruised. at %25 of max normal Body something like 1/2 OCV and 1/2 DCV. Call this condition Bloody.

So... what does the community think. Like I said... I am just kicking it around and wanted to know what you guys think.

Re: Bloody?

So once penalized, you can make EGO rolls to avoid the penalties, probably with bonuses for motivation, like you are half dead and can hardly walk, but then you see the villain take a child hostage, so yo make an EGO roll with a bonus, since you cant bear the thought of a maimed child, and get up and continue to fight like you were whole until conditions change again.

Did I get that right?

The wounding rules always felt like a variation on the stun rules to me which is why I never used them. I guess it could work for this but I was thinking of penalties that would stick with you for the rest of the combat (or at least until you were healed.) It would suck for you to take one Body... botch the ego roll and be stuck at -4 for the rest of the scene.

G.A. already beat me to mention of the Wounding rules. Also, keep in mind the Impairing and Disabling rules. Between just those two, I often find we have plenty of "grittiness" in our campaigns as folks accumulate penalties from serious wounds. I also seem to recall Fantasy Hero having some additional rules for a 'death spiral' type effect if that's what you're looking for. However, I don't have my book with me to check the accuracy of my memory.

The Wounding and Disabling rules practically are a death spiral in FH games.

I mean, you have 10 to 15 BODY for a typical Heroic character, so 1 BODY is nearly 10% of your overall "health." 1 BODY and you've lost 10% of your blood, or have 1st Degree Burns over 10% of your body, or have broken your wrist or ankle (if impaired / disabled.)

This is why realism in games isn't necessarily fun to everyone, and why you have to kind of carefully consider the level of realism you want.

The OP's solution would work more or less fine, it is just a more linear progression from "fine" to "wounded" to "disabled" - penalties at X% health rather than having to make EGO rolls after every wound. It would also be a bit simpler / quicker than the usual method.

One question Fear: Are you using hit location rules?

I mean' date=' you have 10 to 15 BODY for a typical Heroic character, so 1 BODY is nearly 10% of your overall "health." 1 BODY and you've lost 10% of your blood, or have 1st Degree Burns over 10% of your body, or have broken your wrist or ankle (if impaired / disabled.)[/quote']

You will be dead way before you lose 100% of your blood, for instance. 1 BODY's worth of blood loss is probably closer to 3-4% of your blood (for a 10 BODY person).

However, I think that the BODY score shouldn't be thought of as linear. One 10-BODY wound is probably far worse than ten 1-BODY wounds (and it is, if you use the advanced options). Similarly, the first 10 BODY you lose probably represents far less damage than the next 10 you lose.

It's like tapping a coconut with a hammer. The first many hits don't do any really visible damage, but suddenly, one hit no harder than the previous cracks the shell. Or a single hard hit will smash the coconut where many milder hits won't do much damage.

- Klaus

It's like tapping a coconut with a hammer. The first many hits don't do any really visible damage, but suddenly, one hit no harder than the previous cracks the shell. Or a single hard hit will smash the coconut where many milder hits won't do much damage.

- Klaus

Personally I would call this effect ablative armor + a little DEF. Not the effects of actuall body reduction.

- Klaus

Wait... you're telling me you're not supposed to eat the shell??? :ugly: