Tokyo Scientists Find That Humans Glow

clsage

Re: Tokyo Scientists Find That Humans Glow

Glowing in the dark would seem useless evolution wise to me. Hard to sneak up on prey in low-light conditions when you are a giant night-light. (and not so good if you are the prey vs. sight predators either. :eek:)

It'd only be useful if you were on the planet from Pitch Black. :D

Glowing in the dark would seem useless evolution wise to me. Hard to sneak up on prey in low-light conditions when you are a giant night-light. (and not so good if you are the prey vs. sight predators either. :eek:)

It'd only be useful if you were on the planet from Pitch Black. :D

I'd tend to disagree, since there are several bioluminescent creatures filling a variety of niches in the real world.

I'd tend to disagree' date=' since there are several bioluminescent creatures filling a variety of niches in the real world.[/quote']

Yes, but arent a lot of them like 3 miles down in the ocean? That and fireflies are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. (and for fireflies it is for mating, and again when I was little when the firefly lit up, I had an easier time catching them)

But, yes they could fill a small niche specialty possibly. But, really not a general all-terrains jack-of-all-trades like humans tend to be.

But' date=' yes they could fill a small niche specialty possibly. But, really not a general all-terrains jack-of-all-trades like humans tend to be.[/quote']There, I do tend to agree. A sapient bioluminescent species would have to be primarily subterranean, and be able to activate and deactivate the ability at will, for it to be useful.

The article also said that most things emit light ("In fact, virtually all living creatures emit very weak light, which is thought to be a byproduct of biochemical reactions involving free radicals.") so there may be an evolutionary link to Bio-luminescence (my conjecture, non-founded).

So maybe we lost the bright light, while species like fireflies or those underground/ deep underwater kept theirs.

*shrug*

I think it's unlikely, but possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, but arent a lot of them like 3 miles down in the ocean? That and fireflies are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. (and for fireflies it is for mating, and again when I was little when the firefly lit up, I had an easier time catching them)

But, yes they could fill a small niche specialty possibly. But, really not a general all-terrains jack-of-all-trades like humans tend to be.

Just for the record, there are many different species of fireflies and some use it for mating, others for hunting (as in they are predators looking for other insects to eat) and at least one combines the two as it mimics other varieties of fireflies light patterns to attract would-be mates for dinner ;)

And I know this because my son, who is 5, is fascinated by them and we did some research on teh intarwebz together :)