Champions: Why did you stay/return?

nexus

Re: Mutants and Masterminds: Why did you stay/come back?

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking why you (general you) chose to go to M and M. I was asking if you did try it and decided to stay with Champions what influenced that choice. I'm sure M and M is a great system but praising it isn't' really the point of the thread.

A certain amount of thread digression is inevitable. But I'll try to be pertinent in future. ;)

A certain amount of thread digression is inevitable. But I'll try to be pertinent in future. ;)

I didn't mean specifically your post. It was just odd when the first few were praising Mutants and Masterminds. But the opening post and thread title were misleading which probably explains it.

Ironically, my wife has the same attitude towards the d20 roll. She hates the flat percentile, especially since she seems to roll low an inordinate amount of times. (No, really, most of the times you can count the number of times she rolls above 10 with the fingers of one hand and still have enough fingers left to pick up the die.) :rolleyes:

My wife has the worst luck with dice. And we proved it.

Over a 3 month period of playing twice each week we charted what she rolled for 3 dice roll under (i.e. attacks and skill rolls), and damage rolls. She used the same dice for each, and halfway through she switched dice. - lots of data, variable dice, same dice for roll high and roll low.

Her average roll on 3d6 - 12.8

Her average single die roll for damage - 2.9

The GM let her buy a couple extra levels and a couple extra dice.

Since going electronic she hasn't had that problem. :)

Re: Champions: Why did you stay/return?

I detested the Damage Save.

It's a major turn off for me. Some people love it but I just can't bring myself to like it. I think its one of the major points that keeps me from looking deeper into the game.

Recently though, and hate to admit it, two pieces of new have drawn my attention: M and M now has an anime/manga supplement and that supplement also has a social conflict system; two things that interest me.

Re: Champions: Why did you stay/return?

I tried 1st ed M&M, it was a disaster.

Much later, I tried 2nd ed M&M, it was not a disaster.

Before, during and after, I play(ed) champions.

I prefer the bell curve and counting up a handful of dice.

I also prefer the subtleties of character building in Hero.