PS-238 Characters

Yansuf

First, a confession. PS-238 is the only comic I follow these days.

I love this one though.

Anyway, I have some disagreements with the write-ups in the HERO Games book (big surprise.)

I thought that we might discuss them.

To start off: Tyler Marlocke, aka Moon Shadow.

For those of you who don't follow the comic, he has no superpowers.

Or does he?

The faculty have effectively gotten him apprenticed to the "Batman like" superhero/vigilante "The Revenant" (same character who was in the story "Peer Revue" for those who read it), who has been training him and providing him with equipment. While Tyler has no normal super powers (like The Revenant), he is easily the most mature of all of PS-238's students, even though he is nowhere near the oldest.

He is also among the most resourceful, and certainly the most courageous.

(I use the definition "courage is fear, faced with resolution.")

Anyway, by comparison to the write-ups for the other students, I feel some of his characteristics are far too low.

Tyler has Int=5, Ego=5, Pre=5, and Spd=2. (Normal kid.)

I believe that his Int should be 10 (he is as smart, observant, etc. as any of the super kids with Int=10.)

Similarly, his Ego should be at least 8 (like Jenny, Mo-Ron, & Julie), and maybe 10 or 11, since he is clearly much more determined and self-confident than Julie, and somewhat more so than Mo-Ron.

For his Pre, he clearly deserves the "power" Courage: +10 Pre for defense Only (-1), 5 points. He has faced the Aliens and Dr. Irons without faltering. (Also the dragon, but that was after the write-up was made.) Indeed, in two scenes Dr. Irons appeared victorious, but it was Moon Shadow and not The Revenant who turned the tide.

Additionally, he probably should have at least +5 PRE "Only in Hero ID (Moon Shadow)" -1/4, 4 points; since the other kids are all in awe of him. He was their leader against Charles Brigman after all.

Perhaps this could be modeled as: +10 PRE, for defense Only unless in Hero ID, with a -1/2 limitation?

While spd=2 is the standard for a "normal", he has clearly shown that he thinks and acts as fast as most of his classmates, so he should have the same spd=3 that they do.

Who wants to comment?

Re: PS-238 Characters

First, a confession. PS-238 is the only comic I follow these days.

I love this one though.

Anyway, I have some disagreements with the write-ups in the HERO Games book (big surprise.)

I thought that we might discuss them.

To start off: Tyler Marlocke, aka Moon Shadow.

For those of you who don't follow the comic, he has no superpowers.

Or does he?

It remains to be seen. But so far, he's shown no super powers (aside from his gadgets and training).

The faculty have effectively gotten him apprenticed to the "Batman like" superhero/vigilante "The Revenant" (same character who was in the story "Peer Revue" for those who read it), who has been training him and providing him with equipment. While Tyler has no normal super powers (like The Revenant), he is easily the most mature of all of PS-238's students, even though he is nowhere near the oldest.

He is also among the most resourceful, and certainly the most courageous.

(I use the definition "courage is fear, faced with resolution.")

Anyway, by comparison to the write-ups for the other students, I feel some of his characteristics are far too low.

Tyler has Int=5, Ego=5, Pre=5, and Spd=2. (Normal kid.)

I believe that his Int should be 10 (he is as smart, observant, etc. as any of the super kids with Int=10.)

Similarly, his Ego should be at least 8 (like Jenny, Mo-Ron, & Julie), and maybe 10 or 11, since he is clearly much more determined and self-confident than Julie, and somewhat more so than Mo-Ron.

Since INT = how fast you think, I'd agree on the INT 10. EGO... well, he's an odd one. He's often scared to death, but acts anyway. He's also benefited from his training, so he does have more self-confidence. I'd argue he now he has an 8-10 EGO, but certainly didn't at the start of his training, which the character sheet might reflect.

For his Pre, he clearly deserves the "power" Courage: +10 Pre for defense Only (-1), 5 points. He has faced the Aliens and Dr. Irons without faltering. (Also the dragon, but that was after the write-up was made.) Indeed, in two scenes Dr. Irons appeared victorious, but it was Moon Shadow and not The Revenant who turned the tide.

Additionally, he probably should have at least +5 PRE "Only in Hero ID (Moon Shadow)" -1/4, 4 points; since the other kids are all in awe of him. He was their leader against Charles Brigman after all.

Perhaps this could be modeled as: +10 PRE, for defense Only unless in Hero ID, with a -1/2 limitation?

While spd=2 is the standard for a "normal", he has clearly shown that he thinks and acts as fast as most of his classmates, so he should have the same spd=3 that they do.

Who wants to comment?

His PRE is costume-based. It goes up when he's Moonshadow (i.e. costume-based foci for extra PRE). If you used 5E (or 6E) he'd have a Positive Reputation as Moonshadow (power/effective superhero). I'd also argue has has Tactics, he's shown as much several times.

It remains to be seen. But so far' date=' he's shown no super powers (aside from his gadgets and training).[/quote']

True, but Emerald Gauntlet has no superpower except for his OIF gauntlet. Dillon doesn't really have any powers except gadgets and training, his physical characteristics are high for a kid, but at most 9 over normal kid values, so he is just very athletic. Same for Athena Reyh. And Stanley has no powers except for his powered armor.

So it depends on what you are counting.

Of course in one sense you are absolutely right. But remember the PS-238 charter requires that the students have some power. I think Tyler qualifies as much as the ones above.

Since INT = how fast you think, I'd agree on the INT 10. EGO... well, he's an odd one. He's often scared to death, but acts anyway. He's also benefited from his training, so he does have more self-confidence. I'd argue he now he has an 8-10 EGO, but certainly didn't at the start of his training, which the character sheet might reflect.

That's a good point.

His PRE is costume-based. It goes up when he's Moonshadow (i.e. costume-based foci for extra PRE). If you used 5E (or 6E) he'd have a Positive Reputation as Moonshadow (power/effective superhero). I'd also argue has has Tactics, he's shown as much several times.

I agree on the Tactics. (Of course they don't show tactics for many who should have it, like Coach Rockslide and The Revenant.)

On the PRE, I'm not sure the defensive PRE requires that he be in costume, but you could be right.

True, but Emerald Gauntlet has no superpower except for his OIF gauntlet. Dillon doesn't really have any powers except gadgets and training, his physical characteristics are high for a kid, but at most 9 over normal kid values, so he is just very athletic. Same for Athena Reyh. And Stanley has no powers except for his powered armor.

So it depends on what you are counting.

Of course in one sense you are absolutely right. But remember the PS-238 charter requires that the students have some power. I think Tyler qualifies as much as the ones above.

Yes, but remember who his parents are. That and they figured spending time at PS 238 would "activate" his power(s).

I agree on the Tactics. (Of course they don't show tactics for many who should have it, like Coach Rockslide and The Revenant.)

On the PRE, I'm not sure the defensive PRE requires that he be in costume, but you could be right.

Tactics might have been left out of the Skills in Sidekick (but I might be wrong). I do think his DEF PRE applies to his costume -- he's more confident as Moonshadow.

Tactics was left out of PS-238' date=' which is an even more pared down version of the rules than Sidekick is (Tactics is in Sidekick).[/quote']

Nevertheless, Prospero is listed as having it. According to Steve, it's because he assumedly has military training from his home planet. :confused:

Tyler having Tactics was one of the first things I commented about when the book came out. He's clearly shown time and time again the ability to look at a situation and come up with the steps to overcome whatever obstacle the kids meet.

Dang, it's been a while since I've looked through that book. Now I have an urge to pick the trades and the book and take a stroll through the halls of Excelsior Elementary. :D

Nevertheless, Prospero is listed as having it. According to Steve, it's because he assumedly has military training from his home planet. :confused:

Tyler having Tactics was one of the first things I commented about when the book came out. He's clearly shown time and time again the ability to look at a situation and come up with the steps to overcome whatever obstacle the kids meet.

Dang, it's been a while since I've looked through that book. Now I have an urge to pick the trades and the book and take a stroll through the halls of Excelsior Elementary. :D

The question was: "Prospero (PS238-pg. 40) has Familiarity with Tactics.

Is that a glitch?"

Steve's reply was: "No; he's a soldier. He's not like the other kids; he has actual military training. You might say it's a glitch to the extent that Tactics isn't in the book, but Hero fans can figure it out."

I didn't find that very satisfying either.

The question was: "Prospero (PS238-pg. 40) has Familiarity with Tactics.

Is that a glitch?"

Steve's reply was: "No; he's a soldier. He's not like the other kids; he has actual military training. You might say it's a glitch to the extent that Tactics isn't in the book, but Hero fans can figure it out."

I didn't find that very satisfying either.

Exactly. A character is given a Skill based on an alleged aspect of his background that hasn't even been shown in the source material, yet another character that has consistently demonstrated performing that Skill doesn't have it. :doi:

Tyler's tactical. 'Nuff said. :D

Hmmm, if I were to give Tyler a Power, it'd probably be Luck... Though I can see him having Tactic/Deduction as a Power too. I don't have the PS238 game, so I'm looking at it purely in terms of HERO...

And I haven't read past 'Senseless Acts of Tourism' either, but I rather strongly suspect the teleporting Tyler is the clone...

Hmmm, if I were to give Tyler a Power, it'd probably be Luck... Though I can see him having Tactic/Deduction as a Power too. I don't have the PS238 game, so I'm looking at it purely in terms of HERO...

And I haven't read past 'Senseless Acts of Tourism' either, but I rather strongly suspect the teleporting Tyler is the clone...

Whups... so it would be. My mistake.

Hmmm' date=' if I were to give Tyler a Power, it'd probably be Luck... Though I can see him having Tactic/Deduction as a Power too. I don't have the PS238 game, so I'm looking at it purely in terms of HERO...[/quote']

Hmmm, minor correction -- make that Luck/Unluck, or Luck with an Unluck side effect maybe. Tyler's luck certainly tends to be mixed...

My earlier post about Tyler and powers was not a suggestion that he has powers from the "powers" in HERO other than those from equipment, but instead was concerned with the question of of "what are powers?"

Tyler has the same powers as the Revanent, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.

Those being: courage, determination, resource-fullness, and equipment.

Green Lantern has no powers in the classic sense without his ring. There are many other heroes in the same situation. Even if we consider Iron Man and similar (Zodon, Angie & Hershall for example) to have a "super mind" because they invented and built their gear, Green Lantern, Emerald Gauntlet, and others did not develop their own gear.

(In one issue the Revanent said: "Sometimes I think access to cash is the greatest power of all.")

Note, the PS238 game book does give Tyler 3 dice of luck. I am not sure that I agree with this.

My earlier post about Tyler and powers was not a suggestion that he has powers from the "powers" in HERO other than those from equipment, but instead was concerned with the question of of "what are powers?"

Tyler has the same powers as the Revanent, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.

Those being: courage, determination, resource-fullness, and equipment.

Green Lantern has no powers in the classic sense without his ring. There are many other heroes in the same situation. Even if we consider Iron Man and similar (Zodon, Angie & Hershall for example) to have a "super mind" because they invented and built their gear, Green Lantern, Emerald Gauntlet, and others did not develop their own gear.

(In one issue the Revanent said: "Sometimes I think access to cash is the greatest power of all.")

Note, the PS238 game book does give Tyler 3 dice of luck. I am not sure that I agree with this.

I do. While he has courage and resourcefulness, he also does seem to have a strong streak of luck. Sure, he often ends up knocked about, but he's also survived. I think it's justified, if only to represent how he manages to come out on top in a setting he's otherwise unsuited for.

Now I want to get the PS238 supplement and the latest TP. Now just to find the cash.

I just want the next TP to come out... ;D

Patience is supposed to be a virtue, which I can believe since I'm seldom accused of being virtuous...

I just want the next TP to come out... ;D

Patience is supposed to be a virtue, which I can believe since I'm seldom accused of being virtuous...

Volume 6 just came out. So you got about 12 months for Volume 7.

Volume 6 just came out. So you got about 12 months for Volume 7.

First printing was Nov 2008, so it shouldn't be too much longer for Vol VII...

(I've actually got two copies of Vol VI. My niece didn't realize I already had it, and got me a signed copy at BashCon... :D)

Back to the 'powers' question, I think possessing a unique technological or magical item or artifact also qualifies a student for enrollment at PS238. However, the other students at the school don't know that Tyler is Moonshadow. It's also questionable whether or not his gadgets qualify as 'unique'. Still, the first point would be sufficient for the two 'flag suit' students to object to his being class president...

Though, iirc, even the school principal considers Tyler to be a student only because its a favor to his parents -- and he's the one who arranged for Tyler to meet the Revenant in the first place. Though he did so primarily as a way to try and help Tyler survive being a student as PS238, and other metas don't consider Revenant to be a 'super' himself...

As stated earlier, Tyler has 3D6 Luck. I'm thinking that might be a little low, myself.

I also agree that his INT seems low--but to look at the character's write-up (PS 238 The Roleplaying Game, pg. 38) all of his primary characteristics are the baseline value for child characters. I believe this is to emphasize how "normal" he is in comparision to the other students. He's not the only one--Guardian Angel (pg. 36) is another, as are, I would imagine, the majority of students in the Rainmaker program. But their metahuman abilities more than compensate for any lack of mental or physical development--which is not to say that they're weak or stupid; just that they don't need to be super-smart or super-strong to use their abilities.

Now Tyler may not be as strong as some of the other students, but he's hardly a weakling. He's certainly not stupid--it has been stated in the letter column of the comic that if Tyler has any power at all, it's Common Sense. Like Nodwick the Henchman, he seems to have an innate knowledge of the right thing to do, or the right advice to give, and especially when someone else suggests the wrong course of action. The biggest difference between Tyler and Nodwick is that as Moon Shadow, people actually listen to Tyler's advice--whereas none of the party members Nodwick henches for listen to him, on account of that he's only a henchman.

The thing is, common sense is not the easiest thing to simulate in any game system, even HERO. Luck is one way to do it, as I think would be Danger Sense, at least with regards to determining the wrong course of action. ("Don't use your energy blast! He's standing in front of a propane storage tank!") Deduction could stand in for common sense in some circumstances, I suppose--and it's a skill Tyler should have anyway. (Note attached to a complete set of Encyclopedia Brown books--"Tyler: Read these thoroughly. There will be a test on this material--R.")

Ultimately, though, common sense isn't something that can be found in the rules as it is something we bring to the table ourselves as players and gamemasters. While it's very much fun to "take aim and let fly" in-game with little regard to the consequences, the fact is that if you take the time to consider the best course of action, the benefits to yourself and your teammates will be much greater than just charging in and attacking everything in sight.

Hope that helps.

Let's move on a bit.

Should Cecil Holmes be a student at PS238 (the underground portion)?

While he is a more or less normal kid, he does have a very unusual ability: he can detect that people have super powers.

Of course he is also very observant; he is the only child who can tell Moon Shadow is Tyler.

And he has a magic coat and a technological shrink ray gun, and combat experience with both; not to mention extra body parts that only manifest in other dimensions.

So should he be enrolled?