Bigtime Blowout

cranialspasm

Re: Bigtime Blowout

Sounds to me like said reporter has some major issues.

She was going to get married and found out not only was her fiance cheating on her with her best friend, but they were both a superhero and ubervillain.

I can truly see a well-meaning (and clueless) parent trying to set their bachelor son up with "nice" girls, only to have him finally tell them that he is in fact 'Leatherman', fighting crime in the city's night spots. Such are the dangers that relationships with nice girls could only put them in danger. And when a younger man moves into Leatherman's Secret ID's apartment, the parents are told that he is the new sidekick.

Which is easier? Coming out with your sexual preference, or your superhero identity?

This looks like it will be a fun campaign. I am thinking your reporter is going to be desperate enough that she may find some gloryhound(s) who agree to pose as one (some) of the heroes just for a little bit of limelight. Imagine the real heroes' surprise seeing themselves unmasked on the SuperNews channel. Will they confront the imposters? Will they protect the imposters when the Triad comes for them? You might have to give the imposters a few gadgets to mimic the heroes' abilities to make them seem legit, but that is easily done (and of course opens up the question of what happens to said gadgets in the aftermath?).

The players don't know it, but Carmen has been tasked by the Terrible Triad to unmask the original fearless five and the new ones. She is given a month to do this and if she fails, she will be used in one of the horrific experiments that one of the TT has been working on.

If she ends up with super powers from all this, are they ... uh.. gonna let her wear a mask? :D

Have you given any thought to the riddle of how villains who get caught manage to avoid being exposed?

I haven't really given it much thought... I'm guessing some would go underground and resurface with a new villain identity. Some may also give up the life and act as consultants in Hollywood when making superhero movies.

• 2 months later...

It does not necessarily follow from this that the people in question are superpowered. :D

Sounds to me like said reporter has some major issues. ON the other hand, "confessing" to being a superhero might actually be preferable to telling the ghastly truth.

I can truly see a well-meaning (and clueless) parent trying to set their bachelor son up with "nice" girls, only to have him finally tell them that he is in fact 'Leatherman', fighting crime in the city's night spots. Such are the dangers that relationships with nice girls could only put them in danger. And when a younger man moves into Leatherman's Secret ID's apartment, the parents are told that he is the new sidekick.

The thought occurs to me that given the way things work in that universe, "Leatherman" would soon find himself with an ubervillain arch-nemesis and a merchandising deal.