Sean style pointlessness! :)

Doc Democracy

I was thinking today, while watching my son tear round a soft play area, about SPD. Sean walks the dog - I needed an equivalent.

Anyway - what was going through my head was a time shift style character and one of the powers I was thinking about was the ability to go on any six segments of a turn - no more than six but any six you wanted. Obviously the way to do that would be to buy +6 SPD, only to vary segments acted on. The big question is, what would you give as a value for that limitation?

Or would you do it another way?

Doc

Re: Sean style pointlessness! :)

Held Phases. I don't enforce the "null zone" or whatever where you lose your Held Phase at the beginning of the next Segment you have a normal Phase. At most I'd impose a Limitation Held Phases may not be used to interrupt, and must be used on character's Dex in a Segment (-1/4) on some or all of their Speed (and that would probably apply to the first Phases in a Turn if it is partially limited).

Held Phases. I don't enforce the "null zone" or whatever where you lose your Held Phase at the beginning of the next Segment you have a normal Phase.

Held phases would not allow you to act on segments 1 through 6 before having to stop until after post segment 12 though. Or wait until segment 6 and then go every segment until 12.

I did consider this but this is definitely worth points, the question is, how many....

Doc

Hmm. Okay. Speed 12 with May Only Use Half His Phases (-1/2). :)

I was thinking -1/2 and then I thought, well, with SPD 9 I could probably do the phase holding thing and get nine phases as well! :-) But -1/4 seemed to cheap...

I'm pleased to see the thought process working in the same way....

Doc

Yeah. It seems like -1/4 isn't enough for not being able to actually perform 12 actions. -1 is obviously to large. I'd be more inclined to make it -1/2 than -3/4' date=' just to play it safe.[/quote']

Yeah, but is six actions whenever you want better than 9 actions?

Doc

What are you applying the limitation to? It seems to impact all your SPD, so this would be 12 SPD (120 points) less the savings from the limitation, so:

- a -1/4 saves you 24 points, so you pay 96 points for SPD. You could have had a 9 SPD with 6 points left over instead.

- a -1/2 saves 40 points, so you pay 80 points for SPD. You could have had an 8 SPD instead.

- a -3/4 saves 52 points, and you pay 68. You could have had a 6 SPD with 8 points left over instead.

- a -1 makes the cost equal to a 6 SPD, so clearly is excessive.

I think the ability to accelerate your phases is worth more than 8 points, so -3/4 is also excessive.

Is it worth 20? Probably - having a rapid series of phases instead of spacing them out has value. It is subject to abuse as well - I'll act in Ph 1,2,3,4,5 and then turtle up in 6 (Dodge, all levels to DCV, multipower/VPP to defenses, etc.), which will hold over until next Ph 1.

Is it worth 36 points? Maybe, especially if you're going to really focus on that turtle approach, but it seems quite expensive unless the intent is to abuse it.

Given that, I'm inclined to agree with the -1/2 level.

I was thinking of very short time-shifting that provides a combat advantage but which had to be balanced out - no extra actions, just the ability to shift them small spaces in time.

I would expect GMs to look very closely at the build, costing and desirability...

:)

Doc

Let's see, 12 SPD -1/2 Only 6 Phases can be used = 80 Points

Or

6 SPD

+1/4 I can use any Sgement = 75 Points (just doing all the options)

+1/2 I can use any Segment = 90 Points

+3/4 I can use any Segment = 105 Points

Looks like as an Advantage to the comparable Limitation, a +1/2 is about right, +1/4 comes out 5 points cheaper, and I have to think the utility is worth more tha +1/4 . . . probably.

So a 1/2 in either direction.

Let's see, 12 SPD -1/2 Only 6 Phases can be used = 80 Points

Or

6 SPD

+1/4 I can use any Sgement = 75 Points (just doing all the options)

+1/2 I can use any Segment = 90 Points

+3/4 I can use any Segment = 105 Points

Looks like as an Advantage to the comparable Limitation, a +1/2 is about right, +1/4 comes out 5 points cheaper, and I have to think the utility is worth more tha +1/4 . . . probably.

So a 1/2 in either direction.

I think I'd rather have a 9 Speed than 6 speed, used any segment. That's also only 6 points less than the cost of 12 SPD, with a -1/4 limitation.

Mind you, maybe you buy 4 SPD (so you always move in 3, 6, 9 and 12) and buy +2 SPD usable any segment for another 30. That probably gets similar results for a much lower price (assuming I wasn't planning to use the ability to cluster all my phases, then turtle up in the last one - or abort my first phase in the next turn to turtle up!).

I have no idea which I'd prefer... the possibilities of options are amazing.

Assuming I have a high DEX to boot, Aborting a Phase doesn't put me out for very long, in fact, you never have to skip Segments when Aborting - you can reset Block attempts by taking a Phase and then Holding An Action, reset Dive For Cover as well. All kinds of things that cost Actions for mutiple Segments are essentially ignored.

Tough choice.

Whilst this sort of approach is potentially very useful' date=' I'm (slightly) struggling to visualise the concept it might apply to. Perhaps someone whose powers stem from chaos? Time shuffling?[/quote']

Time borrowing was what I was thinking about. Anyway, since when did system wonking need a point for SW??

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

My primary concern would be the ability to act on Segment 12 and then the following Segment 1. Since that's normally reserved for characters with a 12 SPD I would use that as a benchmark for Active Points. You obviously don't get all the benefits of the higher SPD so it should be a little lower. My preference would probably be a naked advantage.

Phase Shift: Naked Advantage: May take Phases on any Segment (+3/4) for up to 60 Active Points (45 Active / 45 Real)

I would probably also limit the character to having Phases on a maximum of 3 consecutive Segments.

Phase Shift: Naked Advantage: May take Phases on any Segment (+3/4) for up to 60 Active Points; May not act on more than 3 consecutive Segments (-1/4) (45 Active / 36 Real)

The real problem is that the usefulness depends on the character and campaign as a whole as much as anything.

If you are meaning that you can shift all of your 6 PHA into the first half of the turn, then definitely a 12 SPD with -½ limitation.

But if you only want the ability to shift a PHA forward one segment, then I would buy it as +1 SPD, Only to take held actions (-½), Can borrow from next Turn (+½). It costs only 10 points, but I don't see it gives a great deal more utility than a vanilla held action.

OK, if I have a reputation to uphold...

Hmm...so we have a (say) SPD 6 character, and if we're making stuff up...

We buy +7 SPD, so we are SPD 13 (I know: illegal - we're making stuff up).

We don't USE 6 of the SPD: they are just to get us to SPD 13, which allows us to take 2 actions on one phase.

That could cause some confusion for the tactician who holds an action until after the attack :)

I know you can sort of do that with a triggered attack, but this allows you do take another full action on a phase where you have already taken a full action, once per turn.

How do we manage THAT one? You're only really using 10 of the 70 points but you need the rest to get you there...-2? Less?