Poll On New Zones

Steve Long

Re: Poll On New Zones

I said this over on the CO thread but I think it bears repeating. What I would like to see if the world more fully fleshed out. Zones in other countries and strange locations on Earth. As we have a better feeling for the online would they could then branch out into outer space and alternate worlds. The alternate worlds could also be a lot of fun by playing with existing zones for a larger landscape.

Also, one of the strongest points of the early game I think are the crisis events. Here there are fewer players per instance and once complete you have a real sense of accomplishment. I would really like to see new zones introduced in these tight story arcs.

Greetings

I'm at work and can't access the CO website. Would someone mind posting the options?

What new areas do you want to see in Champions Online?

Modern Urban (super-crime in modern-day cities) 5% (449 votes)

Dark Urban (gritty street crime in run-down cities) 8% (664 votes)

Exotic Wilderness (mountain-top monasteries, hidden valleys) 6% (516 votes)

Mysterious Locations (Bermuda Triangle, Stonehenge) 11% (908 votes)

Other Dimensions (the Astral Plane, Faerie, the Netherworld) 10% (873 votes)

Alternate Earth (alternate reality, alternate history) 10% (818 votes)

Outer Space (Moon, Mars, Alien Worlds) 28% (2355 votes)

Historical Time Travel (ancient Egypt, Dark Ages) 11% (894 votes)

Future Time Travel (high-tech future, post-apocalypse) 11% (929 votes)

Thing about Urban is that it's basically covered by Millennium City -- Dark Urban for the West side' date=' Modern Urban for the rest.[/quote']

There is room for lots of Urban expansion that's not covered in Millennium city. Personally if they are going to do Urban Zones I think Hudson City and Vibora Bay should be high on the list of things to cover. However, I would really like to see some European locations as well.

Picture if you will a mission life that sends you into Big Ben and lands you on the roof at the end overlooking London. Also, other Urban environments would hopefully focus on low to mid-level content and help expand on the stories characters can do without overlapping with alts.

I don't know anything for sure, but at a guess I'd think they will strictly avoid identifiable real-world locations. They're too much of a hassle to get right, may run afoul of IP problems, can easily be perceived as insensitive or insulting, and so on. Much, much easier to stick with fictional locations.

Thanks Certified for posting the list. I can see that Outer Space seems to be in the lead by quite a bit. I think I might go for Mysterious Locations or Other Dimensions, sounds like there could be a lot of groovy content.

From a Developer perspective I would guess that Modern Urban or Dark Urban would be the easiest, since a lot of objects and character models could be used again or with minor modification.

But I'm sure I'll love whatever they do... heck, I haven't even gotten to Monster Island yet.

I agree that the post tutorial zone crisis areas are something they could use more of.

I'd have liked to see Vibora bay as an option. Maybe that's modern city and dark and gritty is Hudson city (which would also be good).

Other locations around the US and around the world would be nice - they don't have to have the "secret laboratory where the disaster is happening" located in Moscow - it can be near Moscow and thus side step all the real world details and still pull in the familiarity of the real world.

Thanks Certified for posting the list. I can see that Outer Space seems to be in the lead by quite a bit. I think I might go for Mysterious Locations or Other Dimensions, sounds like there could be a lot of groovy content.

From a Developer perspective I would guess that Modern Urban or Dark Urban would be the easiest, since a lot of objects and character models could be used again or with minor modification.

But I'm sure I'll love whatever they do... heck, I haven't even gotten to Monster Island yet.

I'm jonesing to play CO. I am in Columbus, OH this week so I will have a lot of free time in the afternoon/evenings. I have the game installed on my work laptop but it won't run when I click Play. I have installed the C++ distribution packet that Microsoft recommends but it still isn't working.

CRAP! I wanted to do Teleios Tower tonight and get to level 40 this week. I should have brought my desktop with me. ;)

This is discussed (briefly) in our Monster Island supplement. :hex:

If you don't mind my asking and you're allowed to answer, do you know if the explanation from MI is more or less canon for Champions Online continuity? In other words, does the original Gornyj Zver still exist in the new CU?

Questions of canonicity depend largely on Cryptic's interest in specific points of continuity. Only if Cryptic intended to show the original Gornyj Zver would it matter at all. Therefore I don't think anyone at Cryptic cares that MI says "It was moved" -- whether it was moved, or the Manimals arose on MI, is irrelevant to them because it has no effect on the MMO. Since they approved MI, my explanation thus should be considered "canon" until contradicted in-game.