No Gliding Limitation (6E)

prestidigitator

Re: No Gliding Limitation (6E)

Why not? I'd allow it for the base power.

12d6 Blast OAF: 30 points

30 MP 60 point pool All slots OAF

3 12d6 Blast

3 4d6 RKA

The problem is you can allow this:

48 MP 60 point pool All slots Unified Power

5 12d6 Blast

5 4d6 RKA

That pretty much makes my flying build case then. The -1/4 isn't necessary to get the fixed slots to fit, it's only necessary on the reserve:

8 Example Flying/Gliding Multipower-That-Isn't-Necessary-in-6E Multipower, 10 pt reserve, Unified Power (-1/4)

1f 10m Flight

1f 5m Flight; 0 END (+1/2); It's Not Flying (Drop 2m per phase to maintain velocity, drop 1m to gain 1m velocity, requires atmosphere, etc) (-1)

Still points out the same as Flight.

Note that based on the RAW, you can take the limitation on the Reserve and the Slots, as others have pointed out.

But you can not allow this:

48 12d6 EB (unified power)

I would not even allow this:

48 12d6 EB (negatively adjusted by powers affecting Blast OR RKA -1/4)

That simply is not enough of a limitation to count.

Obviously UP requires at least two powers to share the limitation.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That pretty much makes my flying build case then. The -1/4 isn't necessary to get the fixed slots to fit, it's only necessary on the reserve:

8 Example Flying/Gliding Multipower-That-Isn't-Necessary-in-6E Multipower, 10 pt reserve, Unified Power (-1/4)

1f 10m Flight

1f 5m Flight; 0 END (+1/2); It's Not Flying (Drop 2m per phase to maintain velocity, drop 1m to gain 1m velocity, requires atmosphere, etc) (-1)

Still points out the same as Flight.

Note that based on the RAW, you can take the limitation on the Reserve and the Slots, as others have pointed out.

What are the points on the reserve unified with?

I was putting up an example based on what you said you could do. The cost is the same whether the individual slots are unified or not, but my example was positing that if the reserve were unified then all of the slots were asimed unified as well. It is not RAW, under RAW my previous example is valid; you get the limitation on all of the slots and the reserve.

There's a similar discussion to this going on in another thread (the Limited Deflection thread http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75666).

As I stated there, I'm on the fence about UP. I can see places where it makes sense and places where it doesn't, and it's not always clear if it is worth an actual cost savings or not; it's not much of a limitation, in general. I think it's good that it has the exclamation point; clearly Steve was concerned about it as well.

But you can not allow this:

48 12d6 EB (unified power)

I would not even allow this:

48 12d6 EB (negatively adjusted by powers affecting Blast OR RKA -1/4)

That simply is not enough of a limitation to count.

Do you mean that you can not allow the limitation on the EB if that was the only power the character possessed, or that you can not allow the limitation on that power at all (or some third thing that I missed)?

If Slot A is drained when Slot B is his with a Drain that sounds like a Limitation on Slot A to me.

If all the Slots in the MP are drained when one of the Slots is hit with a Drain, that sounds like all the Slots are Limited. And when all the Slots are Limited, the Pool gets the Limitation too.

Keeping in mind that Limiting the Pool reduces the Points you have to work with when it is Drained, as a further bit of bonus.

You could...

Put Unified Power on the Pool (and some Non-Pool powers), and when it is Drained the points are reduced. But not the Slots (though it hardly matters if they're Fixed Slots and your Pool is reduced below their Active Point, but if they're FlexSlots then you just have less power to work with).

Put Unified Power on the Slots, and when each one is drained it loses points, but your Pool stays at full value.

Put Unified Power on one slot (and some other non-MP Powers) and it is reduce, but the other Slots and the Pool is left alone.

At least, that's how I see them interacting, unless I've missed something in the rules. . .

As for that whole Flight/Gliding thing, I think since it gets 0END for free (something I'm not particularly keen on, but I see the reasoning) then Gliding Only should have been a -1/2. Otherwise, the inability to gain altitude without external help (hanglider hitting a thermal uprise for example, totally subject to GM whim), and the inability to hover are significant enough draw backs to Flight to warrant a -1, IMO.

Even then, they may be worth -1 it with 0END for free. I haven't really decided.

Personally, I think they are. The only time 0 End is much improvement over Only Costs END to Activate is in combat, and Gliding is at its weakest in combat. So really, you're only getting the equivalent of a 1/4 advantage. And the gliding downsides are pretty big, both for combat and for long-distance travelling.

Do you mean that you can not allow the limitation on the EB if that was the only power the character possessed' date=' or that you can not allow the limitation on that power at all (or some third thing that I missed)?[/quote']

I mean that to qualify for 'Unified Power' you have to have something to unify it with, so 'you can not do it if it is your only power'. I'm completely with the idea that you can unify a complete MP with another (external) power, but I'm extremely unadjacent to the idea of unifying a MP with its own (internal) slots, for all the reasons I've given EVEN - and I must stress this - if it makes no real cost difference. Mere mamon is not the point at all.

I mean that to qualify for 'Unified Power' you have to have something to unify it with' date=' so 'you can not do it if it is your only power'. I'm completely with the idea that you can unify a complete MP with another (external) power, but I'm extremely unadjacent to the idea of unifying a MP with its own (internal) slots, for all the reasons I've given EVEN - and I must stress this - if it makes no real cost difference. Mere mamon is not the point at all.[/quote']

OK, cool. That's a fair point. If a player only had the one (multi)power, and put Unified on it, I might be a little suspicious myself.