NCIS: Hudson City --- Would You Want To Play?

TheQuestionMan

Re: NCIS: Hudson City --- Would You Want To Play?

Sounds intriguing' date=' was never a huge NCIS fan (can't picture Mark Harmon as the go-to guy, guess I've seen Summer School way too many times), [/quote']

Actually, while I have seen Summer School, my (pre NCIS) impressions of Mark Harmon are from Saint Elsewhere and Reasonable Doubt.

In fact, the detective he played in Reasonable Doubt (1991-93, co-starred with Marlee Maitlin) has some similarities to Gibbs. Of course he is much younger and less sure of himself. I have always considered the scene where he went to confession after killing the armed robber who killed his girlfriend to be a classic.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I do, but your right about needing Players who do know something about the Genre.

Sighs

QM

Anyways, in an effort to steer the topic 'back on topic', your players do need to know a little bit about police procedures, true. CSI and NCIS try to make a better than token effort to emulate actual procedures, but they don't get bogged down by it. This is why I like the GUMSHOE system approach to a game based on this. Gumshoe rules where written, (purposely, I expect), to be an overlay for just about any other RPG system out there.

Basically, the scenario is written to provide the needed clues out there to the PCs. The clues themselves are used to move to the next scene of the scenario and are provided to the PCs. The catch is that the PCs need to interpret just what the clue actually means themselves. It does sound like a no-brainer, but a lot of mystery games get stalled or fall apart if the party can't find the clue to begin with. So it's assumed that they'll be given the needed clues almost automatically, but they still have to interpret just what they mean.

And NCIS Los Angeles has the incomparable Linda Hunt in it' date=' doing her best Edna Mode impression :D.[/quote']

And she's doing it very well.

I think of the spinoff as NCIS: Snappy Patter.

Its basically a light action show with continuous banter.

It manages to have less plot than the original.

In terms of characterization (for the other actors): only time will tell.

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder about NCIS: LA. A few too many cameos from NCIS for my tastes. Director, I can understand, but even Vance is showing up a bit too much. It's almost like they're worried that the show can't stand on it's own two feet. 'Course, it could be me, but when a character from the other show 'becomes' the episode's plot, I start to wonder.

Hmm... I'm starting to wonder about NCIS: LA. A few too many cameos from NCIS for my tastes. Director' date=' I can understand, but even Vance is showing up a bit too much. It's almost like they're worried that the show can't stand on it's own two feet. 'Course, it could be me, but when a character from the other show 'becomes' the episode's plot, I start to wonder.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree with you. Their being tentative and over-leveraging the original. Personally, it is a weaker show, though. They need to get their writer's in gear and start building the bonds between the team. As it is, they have their lead partners (2), their Edna Mode boss, and some other people. The original show worked much harder on ensuring a sense of cohesion/team between the main cast early on - and on defining them and their relationships. They also did a good job turning Gibb's past into a slow striptease of revelation. So far it seems like we've got minimal action plots and a lot of light banter from the new show. The only character's they've done any real work on are the main two. Its not gelling as well. The cameos don't help because its an external solution to an internal problem. Fixable, but only if they refocus on what made the original show work.

NCIS, which is a spin-off of JAG, had only one, maybe two characters who made a cameo appearance from from the original show, and that was spread over a season or two. Heck, CSI waited for a quite a few years before they had that recent cross-over mini series.

On a game related note, has anyone tried to do a cameo game, like that one arc in KODT?