NCIS: Hudson City --- Would You Want To Play?

TheQuestionMan

Re: NCIS: Hudson City --- Would You Want To Play?

wasn't she A mossad agent on loan to NCIS?

She now has quit Mossad and wants to become a full-fledged agent of NCIS. The latest episode ends with Gibbs deciding on whether he will put his recommendation on her application or not. Pretty soapy. :)

NCIS agent please, as long as I can be partnered with the sexy Mossad agent who is on secondment to us. :D

Yes, I had the hots for Ziva. Who didn't?

Had?

She's back.

Only, she wants to leave the Mossad and become a real-live NCIS agent.

I wonder what improbable handwave they'll come up with to facillitate that one...

What I find hilarious is that Michael Weatherly sounds more Israeli than Cote de Pablo when they try to whip Hebrew phrases out.

She sounds very American Ashkenazi.

I think it would be interesting to see.

But who of "us" players (and GM´s ) has enough knowledge to fake the necessary procedures ?

You don't need necessary procedures. You need snappy patter and interesting interelationships on the team and a script style story from the GM. The procedures are TV Show Emulation, not real life NCIS emmulation. If you've watched enough NCIS you can do it. If you want to run a true to life real world navy investigative service game, then yeah, you need to do some research and know a good bit about the navy, but to emmulate the show? Not at all. That's Tinsel Town. It doesn't accurately reflect reality to start with.

The same would go for CSI. You don't need to know more than cosmetic forensic details, though more is better. The lab scenes are just 30-second montages with music that end in caveat emptor style technobabble. In the real world the work would be dull and technical, might take hours, and could happen after delays of weeks at the lab, and may not happen at all since real police departments have to prioritize tests because they have budgets, let alone forensic evidence not always being ubiquitous. A realistic police procedural game, especially one that focused on the crime lab, would look nothing like the CSI series.

CSI science can be emmulated by having the player say "I don my lab coat and do sexy things in our upscale and trendy looking 20 minutes into the future lab," the GM hitting his 20 second lab scene music track and having the player roll a die (bonuses if the player puts on a lab coat!), and then saying: "...the DNA from the blood sample on the elevator's floor 9 button came back with a unique marker only found in such-and-such Indian tribe..." or "You got a hit in CODIS" followed by suspect details.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a scenario fon ncis-hc

while investigating a salior charged with drug trafffiicking athe thea team finds their suspect has been killed and at the scene is a card with a blkue cresent moon on it. must the new ncis unit deal with the HARBINGER OF JUSTICE as welll as drug traffickers

Sounds intriguing, was never a huge NCIS fan (can't picture Mark Harmon as the go-to guy, guess I've seen Summer School way too many times), but I've watched it. I really want to watch the LA one as I like LL and Chris O'Donnel, but I'm old and it comes on too late.

Just out of curiosity why NCIS, why not FBI: Hudson City or NSA: Hudson City?

Just out of curiosity why NCIS' date=' why not FBI: Hudson City or NSA: Hudson City?[/quote']

I would guess the military conection. It gives the PC's the chance to occasionally play with the BIG toys. :sneaky:

NCIS vs. the Harbinger? They are waaaaaayyyyyy outclassed. I wish them luck with that; they're gonna need it.

The best they'll be able to manage is bust one of his five deep covers. They'll never actually capture him - alive or dead, and it would cost them the team to try.

NCIS vs. the Harbinger? They are waaaaaayyyyyy outclassed. I wish them luck with that; they're gonna need it.

Well, in the season opener Gibbs single handedly pulls his three agents out of a terrorist base camp in Africa. He was their only backup. You hear a bunch of shooting and there he is in his gillie suit with a rifle in his hand. You know, the John Wayne style I shot off some bullets and now they're dead even though I didn't shoot off enough bullet's to kill that many guys if you want to be pedantic about it, style of hollywood gunfire. In one of the flashback scenes its commented (director vance) that the mission can't be done so seals/special forces can't be used without creating a diplomatic incident, and in another its commented Ziva's mission had become a suicide mission because there were dozens of terrorists there.

So, basically, Gibbs is the ex-marine-sniper-black-ops-operator AND elite special forces unit rolled into one who takes down entire terrorist base-camps singlehandedly. That sounds an awful lot like a harbinger-style move to me. Its all off screen, but he's got some serious writer caveat "so badass that showing you wouldn't have done it justice" action going on. Sort of like a game designer mary sue. ;)

I'm not going to start a harbinger vs. argument on this because 1) those sorts of arguments can't be won, 2) require people to ingore genre/medium differences into account, and 3) overlook the fact that the harbinger is a ridiculously over-the-top pro from dover "GM PC" who overshadows the player characters, and 4) exists in a world with threats that don't exist in the NCIS verse. Its comparing apples-and-oranges. To be in the same universe as NCIS he'd have to be toned down or they'd have to be beefed up.

This is, incidentally, my main gripe with the "vs." style thread: it automatically assumes one universe's top-gun trumps another universe's top-gun, even when those universes aren't compatible out of the box. In the NCIS verse Gibb's dramatic status is "baddest man walking." In Hudson City Harbinger has that same dramatic status. If the two universes collide you end up with an unstoppable narrative force meeting an immovable narrative object. Things have to be adjusted to make the two work together.

Basically: within the NCIS-verse Gibbs is the Harbinger.

Well, in the season opener Gibbs single handedly pulls his three agents out of a terrorist base camp in Africa. He was their only backup. You hear a bunch of shooting and there he is in his gillie suit with a rifle in his hand. You know, the John Wayne style I shot off some bullets and now they're dead even though I didn't shoot off enough bullet's to kill that many guys if you want to be pedantic about it, style of hollywood gunfire. In one of the flashback scenes its commented (director vance) that the mission can't be done so seals/special forces can't be used without creating a diplomatic incident, and in another its commented Ziva's mission had become a suicide mission because there were dozens of terrorists there.

So, basically, Gibbs is the ex-marine-sniper-black-ops-operator AND elite special forces unit rolled into one who takes down entire terrorist base-camps singlehandedly. That sounds an awful lot like a harbinger-style move to me. Its all off screen, but he's got some serious writer caveat "so badass that showing you wouldn't have done it justice" action going on. Sort of like a game designer mary sue. ;)

I'm not going to start a harbinger vs. argument on this because 1) those sorts of arguments can't be won, 2) require people to ingore genre/medium differences into account, and 3) overlook the fact that the harbinger is a ridiculously over-the-top pro from dover "GM PC" who overshadows the player characters, and 4) exists in a world with threats that don't exist in the NCIS verse. Its comparing apples-and-oranges. To be in the same universe as NCIS he'd have to be toned down or they'd have to be beefed up.

This is, incidentally, my main gripe with the "vs." style thread: it automatically assumes one universe's top-gun trumps another universe's top-gun, even when those universes aren't compatible out of the box. In the NCIS verse Gibb's dramatic status is "baddest man walking." In Hudson City Harbinger has that same dramatic status. If the two universes collide you end up with an unstoppable narrative force meeting an immovable narrative object. Things have to be adjusted to make the two work together.

Basically: within the NCIS-verse Gibbs is the Harbinger.

:eek:

Hmm.

I think thats a daring Theory.

The best they'll be able to manage is bust one of his five deep covers. They'll never actually capture him - alive or dead, and it would cost them the team to try.

The Harbinger does not hurt innocents, and would never harm a law enforcement officer (unless they were corrupt and/or criminal), so worst case for the NCIS team is they fail to catch him.

'sides, I don;t think even the Harbinger could stand up to the Gibbs Stare. He has the (non-super, but extremely effective) ability to make someone feel like they're ten years old and had just been sent to the principal's office. :)

'sides' date=' I don;t think even the Harbinger could stand up to the Gibbs Stare. He has the (non-super, but extremely effective) ability to make someone feel like they're ten years old and had just been sent to the principal's office. :)[/quote']

Wow I guess he's come a long way from Summer School teacher.