6th Ed: Movement

dsatow

With the standard clauses*

On pg 156 6e1, under endurance, it goes over if a character want his non-combat movement to cost 0 end, they need to make both combat and non-combat cost 0 end. Is the reverse true? Say I want to make a Speedster, Warpfactor, that has to spend more end when he attempts to go into non-combat speed? How would that play out?

*Standard Clause: I am reading the 6e books as fast as I am able given the amount of pages and lack of time. Please forgive me if there is a clarifying section farther ahead.

Re: 6th Ed: Movement

I don't know if there's any cannon on this, but in the past I've allowed players to put Increased Endurance on the cost of the NCM. You might want to run that past your GM and see if he's cool with it. (unless he's you, of course ;) )

[EDIT: Well, I feel stupid. I just noticed that Steve offered this very suggestion. Say-- does that make it Cannon? Partial Cannon? Nerf Ballzooka? Ping-Pong Gun? Anything? :lol:]

With the standard clauses*

On pg 156 6e1, under endurance, it goes over if a character want his non-combat movement to cost 0 end, they need to make both combat and non-combat cost 0 end. Is the reverse true? Say I want to make a Speedster, Warpfactor, that has to spend more end when he attempts to go into non-combat speed? How would that play out?

*Standard Clause: I am reading the 6e books as fast as I am able given the amount of pages and lack of time. Please forgive me if there is a clarifying section farther ahead.

If your combat movement costs no END then your noncombat movement costs no END.

If you wanted to pay END to accelerate to noncombat, well, generally that is no real limitation at all - just description: unless you have to cosntantly burn END to maintain noncombat velocity AND burn enough END to limit your range at maximum velocity, it is not much of a limitation: -0.

A VERY drunk GM might allow you to buy SIDE EFFECTS: END DRAIN (when accelerating to noncombat velocity). So, going noncombat at the -1/4 side effect level would be 1 1/2 d6 END drain (average 5.5 rolled, or 14 END, after halving).

Aside from the normal builds mentioned above, I might allow you to Push your movement power to the Active Point level it would have to have for you to move at one more NCM doubling, or accelerate to the speed you wanted in the time you wanted it. You could choose the added NCM doubling Adder, or the lesser of an applied Advantage or enough Movement Skill Levels to sufficiently improve your acceleration for determining the number of Active Points. I normally don't allow Pushing to add Advanages, Adders, or Skill Levels, but this is the sort of thing I'd consider for an exception when it would be dramatically and heroically appropriate. A suitable Power Skill might help to grease my palm for considering such an exception as well. ;)

Would it be possible to just buy the Reduced endurance as "only for combat movement" with an appropriate reduction in the advantage? Depending on how much the GM thinks the END usage for non-combat speed will actually be limiting, it could be no change to the advantage, or it could go down to +1/4.

Would it be possible to just buy the Reduced endurance as "only for combat movement" with an appropriate reduction in the advantage? Depending on how much the GM thinks the END usage for non-combat speed will actually be limiting' date=' it could be no change to the advantage, or it could go down to +1/4.[/quote']

Why not just buy the 0 END on the base points of movement, and not on the NCM adder? Aren't partially Advantaged/Limited powers allowed in 6E?

For example, 40m of Flight costs 40 points, x8 NCM costs an additional 10 points. So if you want the combat movement to cost no END, but the non-combat speed to cost the normal amount of END, just apply the the +1/2 Advantage to the 40 points, and not the +10 Adder. 40x1.5 +10 = 70 points.

Of course, this doesn't cover the first x2 multiplier that you get for free by default, but I'll let you figure that part out.

NCM (which' date=' by definition, is Non-Combat) costing END is almost irrelevant unless it costs so much that it limits how far you can go at maximum speed: even then it is not much of a limitation.[/quote']

Very good point. If you aren't in combat, you can usually take as much time as you need to recover END. But if you're actually keeping track of movement distance (even in "non-combat"), then it must mean you really are keeping track of phases (and END, and post-12 recoveries, and all that stuff). You'd have a scenario such as Lois Boulevard has just been shot and is bleeding to death 1000 km away. Every segment counts!

I don't know if there's any cannon on this, but in the past I've allowed players to put Increased Endurance on the cost of the NCM. You might want to run that past your GM and see if he's cool with it. (unless he's you, of course ;) )

[EDIT: Well, I feel stupid. I just noticed that Steve offered this very suggestion. Say-- does that make it Cannon? Partial Cannon? Nerf Ballzooka? Ping-Pong Gun? Anything? :lol:]

It would not be cannon. Maybe canon, definitely not cannon. ;)