The Incredible Shrinking Species

Clonus

Re: The Incredible Shrinking Species

Well, now I know what happened in the past of the Taarna sequence of Heavy Metal. (Take a look: they have rats the size of horses and at one point she flies her "bird" through a skeleton of a dog the size of a cathedral. It even has a collar and tag!)

Sadly, Im not playing any superheroes right now :(

However, the principle go-to NPC in the supers game that Im running is Batman.

Im pretty confident that he would find a way to stop this. Either with the Gotham City group, where the PCs are Nightwing, Batgirl, and Catwoman, or with the Justice League, where the PCs are the Flash, Power Girl, and Wonder Woman.

In fact...now that I think about it, I just might use this plot idea myself :D

interesting way to do a post-apocalypse type of campaign.

that it would

I wonder if people will shrink like most shrinkers do and retain their normal STR and normal defenses. Even if they only walk the same proportionally (1" I'm guessing), their leap would be incredible, even taking the standard 8 STR leaping capability and not increasing it do to smaller size.

You would still be able to take on a yappy chihuahua, although you might have to learn to leap and punch like the Atom does (move-thru, I'm guessing).

would people still need to eat the same amount?

Banner- Would sit down, and have a nice long talk with the doctor, using his social skills to convince him that there's such a thing as the right to choose, that a violation of the bodies of billions against their will could lead to chaos and death, perhaps people aren't READY for such a step... meanwhile he'd call in Hornet to dismantle the #### thing.

Yes, Banner would save the day with the power of talking and delegating!

Gaze- Gaze would send a nightmare scenario into the man's mind of the device going horribly horribly wrong, billions collapsing upon themselves as their organs shrunk at different incompatible rates, and those that did shrink properly being eaten alive by their cats, and wildlife galore. He would show the doctor's mind sights, sounds, and smells of a charnel house in miniature.

Then remove it, "Are you sure?"

Phoenix: "I've always wondered what it would be like to meet a real mad scientist. Now I know, and now you're going to jail. Easy or hard, your choice."

Ika: After someone explain things to her in a way that a time-lost cave girl can understand, either she gets restrained or the doctor gets a knife in his heart. Ika predates the ideas that underlie things like "Code Against Killing."

Scardey Cat smiles. "Your going to shirnk all of humanity, and you weren't going to mention it to anyone." Suddenly the room is filled with darkness, and Scardey hits Shirk with a full of invoke fear as he explains all the ways this will go wrong. Hopefully this gets the nice crazy man to wreck the dangerous whatsit himself. But one way or another that thing is getting trashed.

Raymond H. Pymler, "Shrinking Ray", a scientist who discovered shrinking technology and used it to fight crime back in the Silver Age is long retired from the good and bad guy biz...or is he? His ex-wife comes to your character distraught and fearful. Pymler has always been a little odd for all of his good intentions, hot-tempered and resentful of those who take the ability to shrink down lightly as a superpower. She recently had a conversation with him in which he was...ranting about how once he's finished with what his latest project, the world will never be the same and they'll learn to appreciate the value of shrinking. He's apparently blown his entire fortune on whatever he has been building.

Your character investigates, and determines that Shrinking Ray has built a satellite and has contracted to have it shot into orbit. When confronted he admits that yes he's built a shrink machine to affect the entire human race, but this is a good thing don't you see? Over about ten years we'll shrink down to about the size of an action figure, with our needs for food and water and our carbon footprint reduced more than ten-fold. The planet's environment will be saved, and the human population will be free to grow considerably before it becomes a problem again.

Do you smash Ray's stupid machine?

I can't help but imagine the Star Hero version of this plot, where the heroes arrive on a planet where this has already happened. :)