Morgaine the Mystic of Crimelords

PamelaIsley

Re: Morgaine the Mystic of Crimelords

Their status as having super powers is outed. But the exact nature? Each and every power detailed?

The Champions are a famous and well documented super team with, as I recall, a government liaison and a fan club or three. Sapphire has even more admirers (and stalkers) and is in the media constantly.

It is well known that Sapphire is a mutant energy manipulator, though how much the average dude on the street understands about her powers is open to wild levels of speculation. In addition her powers have evolved considerably over time, the "hard light constructs" being a relatively recent addition.

And like I said, I'm pretty sure she does use her powers to enhance her performances, but people know that going it.

It's unclear how much is known about Morgain's powers, other than what has been documented in various super battles. She's actually abnormal as mystics go for a number of reasons. For example, her power is wholly innate and she lacks the (fairly standard) mystic aura disadvantage...

What kind of test would determine the exact nature of someone's powers? A blood test? A mutant detector might say if someone is a mutant, but doesn't it stretch the imagination to imagine a power detector?

The CU has sensor technology that is able to detect both Mutant powers and Mystic energies.

The exact handwavium by which it works is not, to my knowledge, discussed anywhere, but it's a core element of the CU that this technology exists and is used by groups such as UNTIL.

We know because of their stat sheets, but I doubt anyone in the Champions universe, even the superhumans themselves, know the true extent of all their powers.

Again, UNTIL has rough metric by which they can measure super human abilites. It's called the "Martinez Scale".

Obviously, people grow in power, unlock previously untold abilites and suffer radiation accidents all the time, so it's not necessarily a static figure.

Sapphire says she is a mutant with certain powers, but how could the public know for sure that her voice is the product of her non-mutant abilities and not a part of her powers?

Actually, I'm sure there are plenty of people that do not take her word for whatever reason (anti-mutant types like IHA for sure), but as I said, the technology is out there that would allow someone to determine if her singing is in any way "super".

I'm sure there are people that think her amazing good looks are a result of her powers as well ;)

On the original issue, I just can't imagine that if people found out today that David Copperfield was a wizard, his popularity would decrease.

That's because you've never had a relative turned into a zombie by Tekofanes the Undying Lord ;)

Seriously, in our world it probably would increase his popularity assuming people didn't crucify him for being in league with Satan or some such.

In the CU, it would depend on MANY other factors that we just don't have to deal with. Just about everyone in the CU has reason to believe in magic/super powers. It's a fact of life for them, so how they deal with it may be considerably different than how we might.

Anyway, it's just a difference in perspective. We've probably given the idea more thought here than went into the one paragraph talking about Morgaine's reasons for turning to crime originally.

Gamer Geeks on the internet arguing about minutia? Say it ain't so! :sneaky:

Partly, for the same reason super-strong, super-tough "bricks" can't play professional sports like football. It's considered a form of "cheating" to do so.

It's also simply about being Lied To.

If she were stating her act was actual magic being performed, then she couldn't be outed as a "liar" - instead she hid her talent and claimed stage magic. People don't like liars. Unless they're running for office.

Another little thing.

The fact that Morgaine has her Powers in Multiple EC is that it allows her to use her Blasts/Entangles/Telekinesis simultaneously.

The odd fact that stupefies me is that it is all in EC`s instead Multipowers which raises her costs terribly.

Why is it so odd that people consider using powers in the Job cheating ? (Escpecially Jobs that supposedly require skill like Stagemagican or Athlete ?)