The Golden Apple

Clonus

Re: The Golden Apple

Deuce, being an Cold War-era intelligence officer (OK, a spy and assassin) would view these files as simply engrossing reading. Short of computer skills (this whole laptop-and-cell-phone Futureworld is still kind of new to him), but enthusiastic about the data in contains, he'd memorize it almost rote, so that anyone who asked for an original would have to also get the information out of his head, too. He would make copies of the information; because he's not terribly techno-savvy, he'd probably take photographs and have them microdotted if he couldn't get someone else in his group to make electronic copies.

As for the individuals asking for the file:

1. Flag-Suit Hero: Deuce would thank him for his kind offer, but he would not need citizenship from his nation. The files, no matter how disgusting and embarrassing the contents may be, represent the truth of the past. Also, they are not the files of the current government, but of the previous one. If there are parts of those files which describe human rights violations, they are admissible as evidence in international court. He'd actually show him excerpts of the file to change his mind- perhaps these men deserve a fair trial in their country.

2. Recluse: No dice. It would be tempting, and appeals to Deuce's grey-area morality, but Deuce may be able to trade other things for that criminal activity info as well. He'd actually press Recluse on the information he had. What types of criminal activity? If the evidence he has is for a potential criminal conspiracy bad enough, he might want to disclose it immediately if he didn't want to be named as an accessory, and spoil his carefully-maintained reputation as somehow "above it all". He'd also start to run a track on Recluse - just how does he find out this information, himself? Useful to know yourself. I'd assume that Recluse is very good at keeping his tracks covered, but one tempts an elite agent at their own risk. Offer Deuce a fish, and he wants to find the fishing grounds so he can operate a small trawler himself.

3. Evangeline: Not all of the files are confessions, and priests may also be responsible for collaboration with the regime in human rights abuses, possibly even genocide. God will forgive him if he therefore makes the files available to other authorities. Therefore, Deuce advises her to start looking at the men who ordered her to demand the file back, as they may have something to confess themselves. He would caution her that not everyone in the church - any church - is lily-white of spirit. (And to sate his grey-area morality, if Evangeline is particularly attractive, Deuce will attempt a Seduction. He's seduced a lesbian before, but never a nun...)

4. Hammer: The presence attack would probably totally bomb on Deuce. He'd offer Hammer a car with hand controls unless he leaves empty-handed. If Deuce does not have that capability (which would take Hardened defenses to defeat), a simple "Hey, Rube!" to one of his colleagues (such as his lieutenant, Brick) would possibly do the trick.

5. The reporter will find the information out if and when it comes out at trial; no sooner. Deuce is not interested in any group "scooping" another. Yes, the public may have a right to know some, even most of the information; but not all of it, not all at once, and not at an inappropriate time.

6. An agent for your character's government (or at least the government of the place where your character lives): As a British patriot, Deuce would be strongly tempted to simply give it to his own government, but he would ask the questions: does the agent have a need to know this? What assurances does he have that appropriate action will be taken about the most egregious crimes? Will this agent make sure that the right authorities get the files (he will name the people)? What accountability can this agent make to that end?

If the agent cannot or will not make such assurances, and does not seem accountable for what happens to the files next, then Deuce will anonymously turn over the files to the International Criminal Court. Not perfect, but better than any of the alternatives. If copies can be made, then his group will keep the copies in several different places.

Casey wouldn't know what the heck to do with them, and would give them to other members of his party to make those decisions. Casey is a bit naive, but not stupid or gullible. Some might not however, recognize Casey even as a sentient being. Hammer would find himself with Yokohama 225/50ZR15 tire tracks up his chest if he so much as touched Casey's mechanic inappropriately.

• 8 months later...

Kaian:

#1 -- 'I already have a public identity... as a serving officer in the United States military. I regretfully decline your offer. Also, the part where you asked for the files intact rather than asking to witness their destruction makes me think that your government is less concerned about keeping other people from using them for blackmail than they are in using them themselves... and no, I'm not saying you want to do that, I'm certain you believe every word you just told me. I'm also certain that at least one of your superiors is less idealistic than you are. Trust me, I've done the government superhero thing myself, it happens.'

#2 -- 'You at least made an offer appealing to rational self-interest. However, minus ten zillion points for being a person of totally unknown identity as well as being virtually certain to resell secrets from this cache to somebody who'd then go on to make life massively inconvenient for me, my team, my nation, or the general welfare of the planet. So, no.'

#3 -- 'No. Also, I'm not Catholic. And last but not least, render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and render unto God what is God's. This is Caesar's. Good-day.'

#4 -- '... seriously? Seriously? I am the most experienced warrior in the world, I've fought actual gods to a standstill with a .45 and a lead pipe, and I have the Exemplar on speed-dial for metahuman problems that far out of my weight class, and you're... ok, I'm gonna have to clear my entire afternoon here, because beating the stupid out of you is going to take a long, long time.'

#5 -- '... you are muckraking scum.'

#6 -- 'I already handed over a copy of the files to the Director of Central Intelligence and General Falcon this morning! Why are you even here? Let me see that ID again...'

Quantum - Being a former computer programmer, would make copies of the files to review. He would then hand the original over to Primus.

Stone - "Hey Quantum, what do you want to do this flash drive thing? Oh, some loser named Hammer challenged me to a fight so I'll be back real soon."

Spectre - Would keep it to find out who needs to be punished and would visit them

The Guardian would, being an information broker himself, recognize the value of the flash drive (though he would wonder how such files got on a flash drive to begin with). Since he doesn't trust most governments and major organizations, the Flag Suit hero, Evangeline, and the government agent wouldn't get the drive. The reporter would probably be targeted by the other factions if he gave her the drive, so he wouldn't deal with her for her own protection. If Hammer gave him any trouble Guardian would simply defeat him in combat. The only one he would consider dealing with is Recluse, and that depends on how Recluse operates and who he sells to.

The Guardian would' date=' being an information broker himself, recognize the value of the flash drive (though he would wonder [i']how[/i] such files got on a flash drive to begin with). Since he doesn't trust most governments and major organizations, the Flag Suit hero, Evangeline, and the government agent wouldn't get the drive. The reporter would probably be targeted by the other factions if he gave her the drive, so he wouldn't deal with her for her own protection. If Hammer gave him any trouble Guardian would simply defeat him in combat. The only one he would consider dealing with is Recluse, and that depends on how Recluse operates and who he sells to.

He trusts anonymous mercenary information brokers *more* than the government? *baffled*

Snark-E is a Disney maintenance robot from the future accidentally sent back in time to 2001 where he became the working model for a certain CGI maintenance robot. Technically he is Disney property and being a free-willed individual resents his status. Seeing himself as a slave, he engages in passive-aggressive resistance and is eager for a chance to hurt people. (He's considered a hero because he's only allowed to hurt Bad Guys.) As such he would make all the information because he thinks it would cause the most damage to the most people. He would also be very very rude to Evangeline since the Church is (in his time) one of the most vocal opponents of robot rights claiming that since they are made by Man they cannot have a soul and therefore unworthy of being treated as anything more than objects. OTOH if someone were to offer him a way to travel back in time again but to 1917 Chicagoland, Snark-E would be VERY interested.

Snark-E is a Disney maintenance robot from the future accidentally sent back in time to 2001 where he became the working model for a certain CGI maintenance robot. Technically he is Disney property and being a free-willed individual resents his status. Seeing himself as a slave' date=' he engages in passive-aggressive resistance and is eager for a chance to hurt people. (He's considered a hero because he's only allowed to hurt Bad Guys.) As such he would make all the information [/quote']

You forgot a word. (Incidentally the reporter is the one who would publicize the information. All the others would keep it secret for one reason or another. Some of them would use it for blackmail, trade it under the table, destroy it or just use it to make psychological profiles of some of the nations movers and shakers)