The Golden Apple

Clonus

Your character stumbles across a large flash drive which turns out to contain the entire files of the secret police for a former Warsaw Pact nation, believed destroyed. A number of different people are interested in these files.

1. A flag-suit hero employed by the current government argues that these are government files and hence the rightful property of the succeeding regime. He offers your character's costumed identity citizenship in his nation in gratitude for assisting his nation in avoiding the chaos that would result from these secrets being released or used by criminals for blackmail.
  2. Recluse, a mysterious person who buys, trades and sells secrets offers to give your character a lot of information about current criminal activity in exchange for the files.
  3. Evangeline, a super-martial artist nun argues that the files contain transcripts of privileged confessions and therefore should belong to the Church. She says the Church will quietly discipline those priests who were informants and destroy the rest of the files. She offers the knowledge that you have helped God.
  4. Hammer is a mercenary supervillain working for the Ukranian mob. He generously offers not to break your face if you give him the files.
  5. A reporter from the nation in question wants to make her name by publishing the high points of the files, arguing that the public has a "right to know".
  6. An agent for your character's government (or at least the government of the place where your character lives) wants the files because there might be something useful in them.

What does your character do?

Re: The Golden Apple

Sylph knows that decisions like this are out of her league. She gives them to the local UNTIL commander, who she knows to be trustworthy and who at least has got the authority to make official decisions about this sort of thing, and lets her figure out what to do with them.

Soulbarb most likely never lets it on that she even found the files to begin with, and instead keeps that little fact a secret. At the very least until she's read them and knows what they contain. She might act on the information contained therein, or disseminate bits of it to those she feels should know, but for most of her career the only person whose judgement she is inclined to trust in this sort of thing is herself.

First, I think all of them would do some reading. ;)

Just what crimes were done by what persons, and where those persons are now would seriously affect the choice made.

The files are mostly important these days for their revelation of who used to be an informer for the former totalitarian government, some of whom are now politically important in the current government and others are important in the national church hierarchy.

All my characters would read the files (except maybe Futurian) give it to our government (except Black Tiger) and "interesting" (but not totally secret) parts to the press.

Black Tiger - Oh boy! Blackmail material! He'd be in heaven! He'd let it be known if he "disappeared" it'd go totally pulbic. If anything impacted on his memory loss (or he thought it did) he'd be on it like stink on s**t. Anything that did not apply to the above, he'd dole out to our government as needed for favors. If that didn't work, all would go out for one favor. He'd keep a copy.

Futurian "Oh gawd, this is boring. Who cares? It's in the past." Then he'd probably misplace it. If confronted, he'd honestly forget where it was. If asked when he found it, he'd turn it over to whoever asked, except for any person who threatened him. In that case it'd go public if he had the chance.

Zl'f would turn it over to the non-governmental organization she (secretly) works for for evaluation as to the contents. If there are crimes, then she'd pass the drive on (after copying it) to the International Criminal Court for prosecution. If the ICC doesn't proceed, then her team MidGuard might see fit to do a bit of vigilante work.

Your character stumbles across a large flash drive which turns out to contain the entire files of the secret police for a former Warsaw Pact nation, believed destroyed. A number of different people are interested in these files.

1. A flag-suit hero employed by the current government argues that these are government files and hence the rightful property of the succeeding regime. He offers your character's costumed identity citizenship in his nation in gratitude for assisting his nation in avoiding the chaos that would result from these secrets being released or used by criminals for blackmail.
  2. Recluse, a mysterious person who buys, trades and sells secrets offers to give your character a lot of information about current criminal activity in exchange for the files.
  3. Evangeline, a super-martial artist nun argues that the files contain transcripts of privileged confessions and therefore should belong to the Church. She says the Church will quietly discipline those priests who were informants and destroy the rest of the files. She offers the knowledge that you have helped God.
  4. Hammer is a mercenary supervillain working for the Ukranian mob. He generously offers not to break your face if you give him the files.
  5. A reporter from the nation in question wants to make her name by publishing the high points of the files, arguing that the public has a "right to know".
  6. An agent for your character's government (or at least the government of the place where your character lives) wants the files because there might be something useful in them.

What's to stop me from making copies and selling/giving them to every interested party? :sneaky:

Ummm... Not that I would. :hush:

Vigil would have a field day with that sort of information. Even out-of-date as it is, it would be the key to finding a lot of more current information.

Although he would be concerned about how all these other goofballs found out he had it; he certainly wouldn't have told anyone (not even his teammates, having had sources burned by them more than once :().

Humm, few of my characters would consider anything other than options 1 and 6.

Millennuim: If the current government employing the flag-suited hero is not oppressive, will had it over to them. If he thinks they are opressive, will turn it over to the US government.

Cheeta: Will consider giving the files to the reporter, especally if she's attractive, then will actually turn it over to the US.

Iron Will: Makin' copies! Original to flagsuited hero, copy for US and copy for himself.

HipHop: Give to Magneto or current head of the X-Men.

Snow Leopard: "Recluse, could we define 'a lot?'"

Dolphin: "Woops! I dropped it. Into the Marianas Trench."

The Golem would be a bit out of his league for this stuff... but if someone from Israel was willing to actually deal with him (instead of attack him) for the information, he'd jump at the chance.

Economaster would be tempted to give it to Recluse, just because they are the one being entrepreneurial about it... however, in the end, she would review all the information herself and sell it piecemeal to those who would best use it for the global economy's benefit.

Hmm, well, I have always kind of imagined Badger in character is as bad with computers as his player. :o But, anyhow.

For how he would respond:

1. Flag-suit guy. Why does Badger care about citizenry? (though he doesnt exactly have a costumed ID to begin with). Though depending on what Badger's opinion of said country is (or maybe said flag-suit guy) the rightful property angle could work on him. (though very unlikely). If it is in the best interest to keep this info secret....well, Badger could just trash the CD into non-existence if there are no copies, that would keep it secret would it not?

2. Recluse. Hmm, Badger wouldnt really be interested in selling or haggling. If he has info to give on DEMON or the world's version of Dr. Destroyer, Badger would be momentarily tempted but it would have to very good info. As in info that could directly and immediately take one of those 2 down.

3. Super nun. Well, Badger was brought up by a Catholic mother and is partial to helping the Church whenever possible. I could see him inclined to be persuaded by them.

4. the mercenary supervillain. He decides the best way to get is through intimidation and threats. Right, Badger has a tendency to love fighting. So "Bring it on, bi-yatch" (ok I really couldnt see Badger saying "bi-yatch" :rolleyes:)

5. The reporter. Dont even waste Badger's time. He has learned quite often in his line of work. That the public is just better not knowing a lot of the time. Plus, he has a certain bit of animosity towards reporters.

6. Agent. Well, you have to do better than "might be something useful in them".

I'll have to think on Frosty Bob. That synopsis could get quite interesting. :nonp:

What's to stop me from making copies and selling/giving them to every interested party? :sneaky:

Ummm... Not that I would. :hush:

Well, like I said I imagine Badger the character is as bad with computers as Badger the player. So, no worries about that happening in his scenario. :o

Stormwalker: This was created by evil people working for an evil regime, by the most evil means imaginable. It is a compilation of things they learned by the most invasive sorts of surveilance, by theft, by intimidation and extortion, by bribery and the corruption of the honorable or innocent, by bargaining weapons and assassinations and secrets with those who would use all those to do the most harm, by lies and betrayal, by outright torture. Its creation was not a violation, it was all possible violations of every right from the right to privacy to the right to life itself. They did not have the right to know this information, and neither do you.

I blasted the vile thing with lightning. With a hammer I reduced what remained to powder, which I mixed with dough and baked into bread and fed to a bird. Go and question the raven, the robin, the sparrow, the crow, the ostrich, the penguin, and see if one of them has your foul secrets.

Don't ask Me which bird. I have friends who are magicians, and some of them I even trust just enough to submit to a memory-tampering spell. My own Father could ask now, and I would be helpless to say.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Stormwalker obviously thought this maguffin was for the birds.

Most of my characters would go with option 1:

It belongs to them; it is theirs. It's hard to claim to be a defender of "right" if you can't accept that "right" is more or less universal: what is yours is yours; what is someone else's is theirs. Many of them wouldn't be happy about it, but most would believe that returning it to the owners is the "most right" thing to do.

Armorine has close connections with the US military, and would likely feel obligated to turn it over to them. It would depend on the current situation as to whether they received a copy (with the original going to the "rightful owners") or the original.

Power would likely just eat it-- chew it up until it was a fine moist goo, then spit it into a trash can. "I am _not_ going to let this bite me in the rear. I'm going home." He's always hated the attention and general weirdness that his being indestructible seems to draw his way.

1. Hammer threatens him, and finds himself standing in a cloud of darkness with Scardeycat gone.

2. The reporter- sorry but not knowing the laws of your nation, at the moment I think it's best to assume giving them to you is illegal. He'd check the rules on that sort of thing, but since it names informants wouldn't give it to the reporter.

3. Recluse- Would probably know that info on criminals wouldn't interest him, and change tactics. Not that it would do him any good. This isn't my property so I can't sell it.

4. Nun-He's sympathetic, but it is more than just a list of peopls confessions. There are important secular matters that can't just be ignored because of a few bad priests. When she trots out the God card, he first points out she is not God. She is more qualified to speak for him than Scardey, but she cannot gaurentee this isn't God's plan. He'll offer to hold onto it for a couple of weeks so they can prepare the parties involed for the upcoming revelations, but it's the best he can do.

5.His goverment- He's sorely tempted. For all he knows there is something in there that he dosen't know anything about. Still it seems like an internal matter of the other goverment.

6. Their goverment- Thank you, but I'm quite happy living where I am. Just hope it helps.

The goverment agents is the real problem here so I can't say. If Their goverment is know for not making people dissapear, and he gets their first Scardey would give it to him. If they are known for that sort of thing, he's more likely to give it to his goverment.

Whilst getting Felicity's sister to clone the drive and selling off the contents piecemeal is highly tempting, and Vitus very very much wants to know where Scorpia is, it would probably take up too much of his time. So the succeeding government would get the drive. Citizenship there could be useful, in the event Vitus finally snaps and melts down a busload of nuns or something. Which segues us neatly into Vitus' response to Evangeline, which would be as polite as a polytheist that has actually met a couple of gods as well as midwifing one could be. Plus, this is Vitus we're talking about, so not very.

Hammer would get something too, of course. Four broken limbs and a free tour of the bottom of the river, probably

Centurion and Nighthawk would keep the files for themselves. Patriot would examine them first and then either destroy them, turn them over to the President, or return them to the country's current government, depending what seemed to be best for the United States and the rest of the world based on what's in the files.

Calico:

1. Used to work for the US government, doesn't trust any of them now.
  2. No deal.
  3. Um yea. No.
  4. No thank you. If more powerful, she'll run. If equal, he's got a fight on his hands. If weaker, will learn of her Complication: "Toys with Prey"
  5. No.
  6. Depending on who the agent is, she might be friendly. If there's something I think is useful to you, I hand it over. Just want to make sure there isn't something in there pertaining to me first.

Will turn it over to the supergroup, let them work it out. After making sure she isn't mentioned somewhere in there.

Brand X - Would be seriously curious how everyone found out he had the data. It most likely is a setup by one of his old foes. He'd consider blasting the intel onto the web and letting them sort it out...but in hindsight would turn it over to to the government agent and then call in help for the resulting storm to follow.

Red Moutain - Would bury it in the ground somewhere dry and cool. Then he would go find Hammer and beat the ever loving crud out of him. Red don't like people threating him.