Game Master Lament

LordGhee

Re: Game Master Lament

LordGhee, your goal of making a campaign more engaging is admirable, but I fear that finding gamers who share your sentiments will not be easy. I am much the same way in regards to PC/video games.

In regards to GMing, I take something of a midway route: I may use pre-existing material (thus negating much of the work in world building) but because I have something already laid out to use, I can go the extra mile in character interaction and storytelling in general.

I do not know if you ever found a solution to your problem. I hope you did. In any case, best of luck!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My own anecdote: In a Vampire: The Masquerade game I ran I asked the players to write up a short backstory for their characters. Two said no, not gonna happen, players should never need to input everything the GM should be able to come up with it during play for them (almost a direct quote). Two of them gave me half to one page background. Well, the two I had backgrounds for ended up becoming the major characters because i actually had something to work with, especially with my style I used for those games of letting the players run around doing things, and then having things happen.

Sadly the campaign was short lived because scheduling became a nightmare. Just saying that while the "homework" wasn't required, it did end up having a major impact, but I didn't "require" it. Oh yeah, I also said they'd get a couple bonus xp for doing the background, which still didn't sway the two no workers.

Campaign assassination? Was it by a single player, or did two or more "gang up" to throw monkey wrenches into the works?

And I am reminded of the ultimate GM answer to this: "Rocks Fall! Everybody Dies!" :eg:

Better Version is "Cows from space"

Problem PLayer one: "But I..."

Gm Immdiately Interrups: "No, Cow FROM SPACE, you die!!!!"

I always tell my players that anything they don't define about their characters is fair game for me to. Not malicious or anything but if you don't want to suddenly find out the princess you rescued and kinda like is your twin sister....:eg:

One Player built a character V&V and left off one choic in his wole power list.

One of his Absorption abilities then was required by the Gm to require him to leave his flesh behind to absorb the powers of the absorbed materials.....

Heh for my Group "Homework" of 'respond to this email' is beyond most of my team members capacity... not a true complaint but definately a note to beware of your players limits.