Enough to Destroy A Planet?

Kristopher

Re: Enough to Destroy A Planet?

Probably the best way to destroy a planet - certainly one of the cheapest - would be an extreme Transform (planet to expanding dust cloud) with constant and megascale on the range so you can hit the whole thing. Might take half an hour to get up the required Body damage but most planets have no power defence and Transform is cumulative.

Even at SPD 2, a 1d6 Transform is 35 Body per minute, or about 350 Body in 10 minutes.

I like SteveZilla's explanation for how it might work too :thumbup: He's obviously thought about this a lot....

Technically you are not using Transform to kill any people, you're just changing what they are standing on :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit the planet with that' date=' wait to see what is left, go mine the magical minerals with Power Defense. Planetary strip mining made easy[/quote']

Interstellar battlestation: 175,000,000,000 credits.

Planetary atmosphere and crust evaporator: 250,000,000,000 credits.

No pesky inhabitants to claim mineral rights: Priceless.

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's
OverlordCard

Actually, I would say that planets tend to have Power Defense (in addition to Force Field) against certain types of special effects. If there's a planetary magnetic field, then there's a number of kinds of electromagnetic attacks that are stood off by the geomagnetic field. An unshielded human would succumb to solar radiation over the course of months (remember, low Earth orbit is within that geomagnetic field), so it's certainly able to stand off long-duration Continuous attacks of that class.

Actually' date=' I would say that planets tend to have Power Defense (in addition to Force Field) against certain types of special effects. If there's a planetary magnetic field, then there's a number of kinds of electromagnetic attacks that are stood off by the geomagnetic field. An unshielded human would succumb to solar radiation over the course of months (remember, low Earth orbit is within that geomagnetic field), so it's certainly able to stand off long-duration Continuous attacks of that class.[/quote']

Good thinking, but two small points:

1. There's nothing to stop you - except for an innate sense of self preservation - from destroying the planet whilst standing on it.

2. NND only adds 10 active points (and AVAD in 6e only adds 5!) - still horribly cheap!

How about "Images" (Laser beam), with "OAF, Immobile, Expendable" (Planet of choice)? I'm pretty sure that will only cost a point or two at most.

La Rose.

The old 'Light' spell?

Just because a focus is expendable does not mean it is destroyed - just that it can not be used as a focus again.

Anyway, I think we all know what would happen if that one appeared on a character sheet.

The old 'Light' spell?

Just because a focus is expendable does not mean it is destroyed - just that it can not be used as a focus again.

Anyway, I think we all know what would happen if that one appeared on a character sheet.

I didn't think the purpose was to create a PC power. I'm not inclined to allow anyone to have a power (of any build design) that could destroy the world (much less designed to do so). I was just submitting a power concept that would be super cheep since that seemed to be the current aim.

La Rose.

I didn't think the purpose was to create a PC power. I'm not inclined to allow anyone to have a power (of any build design) that could destroy the world (much less designed to do so). I was just submitting a power concept that would be super cheep since that seemed to be the current aim.

La Rose.

I posted the Body Drain LOS power precisely because it is the sort of power that might easily - and innocuously - make its way onto a character sheet - and could easily destroy a planet, by the normal rules of the game (OK maybe the dust clouds would block LOS - buy yourself a new sense and you are golden though).

Hero does not really address scale properly: exponential or arithmetic progression? You could decide that (if we still used hexes) a hex of dirt is 16 Body and you need to destroy all the hexes of dirt to destroy a planet - that would put the Body of a planet in the millions or billions of Body, or possibly even the gazillions.

It also means that, to all intents and purposes, you've decided nothing can destroy a planet because nothing can ever do that much damage on a point budget that you might realistically see.

Arguably: so what? Planet Killers are only ever plot devices anyway - no need to model them.

Good argument - but then you run the risk of alienating the Hero audience - the very people who want to know how much Body a planet has because they want to be able to work out how many points the Death Star costs to build.

You are evil! I like that! :D

in hero system 5th e in makes it very clear that every hex of dirt has 10 body thus sectionalizing planets in nature. Thus an area affect would affect each hex indivually. That being said earth would in theory have billions of body. Explaining why it does not explode everytime superman power supers get knocked into the planet. if some cause 90 body (9 hexes of dirt completely destroyed) in china and creates a gigantic crator it would have no effect on the north american land mass. so for planets to be destroyed you would need massive area that affects each section individually or one big attack without area causing about 10,000,000,000 body in one blow.

in hero system 5th e in makes it very clear that every hex of dirt has 10 body thus sectionalizing planets in nature.

Now that we know that, how many hexes does the Earth have in volume, and since the mantle is molten/semi-fluid rock, not just dirt, does it have a defense and what is it's body (per hex)? Once the mantle is taken care of, the core is made of molten metal does each hex of the core have more body? what about defense?

Now that we know that' date=' how many hexes does the Earth have in [i']volume[/i], and since the mantle is molten/semi-fluid rock, not just dirt, does it have a defense and what is it's body (per hex)? Once the mantle is taken care of, the core is made of molten metal does each hex of the core have more body? what about defense?

You all have it wrong ;).

If one is super worried about it and want a simplistic way to reason through it. Take the core (define that as you choose) and determine what a mass of its material's body would be by rough estimate to like material we have data for. Then take the number of hexes from that out to the edge of the crust and determine what seems like an applicably similar material we have a known stat for. Then scale out the Def of it for the total length to the core. It's arbitrary but it seems like a reasonable way to apply basic rules.

La Rose.

One doesn't need to obliterate the whole planet to destroy it though.... one only needs to punch a sizable hole in it and let gravitation and collapsing plates/fluids do the rest right?

I think that you would create some havoc on the surface, depending upon the size of the hole you blasted in the planet, but it would have to be a very BIG hole to assure the total destruction of life on the planet.

I don't know, I'm thinking if you fire any sort of beam powerful enough to completely penetrate a planet (assuming it's not something like a neutrino stream or a pico-meter radius laser that interacts with almost no matter on its way through), a lot of its energy is going to be spent vaporizing material from the contact point inward. Cubic miles of superheated vaporized rock venting back up the path of least resistance sure isn't going to be good for the ecosystem, even if it doesn't actually have too pronounced an effect on the overall structure of the planet.

Well, killing all life on a planet is a heck of lot easier than destroying it. If you actually want to destroy it, you need to fracture it with considerable force, or else the fragments will just re-collapse together from their own gravity.

If you have access to methods other than brute force, then drilling a narrow hole into the core and opening a gateway to a nearby star inside it might work, and is probably cheaper in terms of points.

I don't know' date=' I'm thinking if you fire any sort of beam powerful enough to completely penetrate a planet (assuming it's not something like a neutrino stream or a pico-meter radius laser that interacts with almost no matter on its way through), a lot of its energy is going to be spent vaporizing material from the contact point inward. Cubic miles of superheated vaporized rock venting back up the path of least resistance sure isn't going to be good for the ecosystem, even if it doesn't actually have too pronounced an effect on the overall structure of the planet.[/quote']

You have a point! Repped.

Well, killing all life on a planet is a heck of lot easier than destroying it. If you actually want to destroy it, you need to fracture it with considerable force, or else the fragments will just re-collapse together from their own gravity.

If you have access to methods other than brute force, then drilling a narrow hole into the core and opening a gateway to a nearby star inside it might work, and is probably cheaper in terms of points.

This seems like the most creative and the most explosive way to take care of a pesky planet. Of course I would love to see some super with about 550 strength and flight just push the planet into the nearest sun. If it were a planet without supers you would get to watch them panic and enjoy their last moments.

One doesn't need to obliterate the whole planet to destroy it though.... one only needs to punch a sizable hole in it and let gravitation and collapsing plates/fluids do the rest right?

That would work after a while ... but I'm in a hurry. :eg:

If you have access to methods other than brute force' date=' then drilling a narrow hole into the core and opening a gateway to a nearby star inside it might work, and is probably cheaper in terms of points.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure that if you can open a gateway (in)to a nearby star, you can just skip the whole "drilling a narrow hole into the core" bit.

This seems like the most creative and the most explosive way to take care of a pesky planet. Of course I would love to see some super with about 550 strength and flight just push the planet into the nearest sun. If it were a planet without supers you would get to watch them panic and enjoy their last moments.

... Or not as they pull out their super-advanced weaponry and shoot that pesky super full of (black) holes.