Player Control of Followers

Panpiper

Say I've got a player who wants a follower. He wants a mage and a warrior, one is the follower of the other. The mage is almost exclusively non-combat utility magic (low on skills, high on 60AP - extra time - spells), the other is almost exclusively a melee tank. They can easily be built such that one is the main and the other the follower. Which way should I have him go? If I give him control of the mage (and I take the melee) then he is twiddling his thumbs in combat. If I give him the tank and the mage is the follower, I am doing most of his non-combat roleplaying for him. I have a bit of a conundrum here.

An extremely related question of course is; just how much control do you give players to any followers they have purchased? Do you let them play those followers as if they had two characters (that wold solve my conundrum)? Do you let them play their followers so some degree but with restraints imposed, or do you take full control of those followers yourself as the GM?

Re: Player Control of Followers

I've usually treated followers as NPCs in the past, mainly to avoid abuse. As for what you are describing, I probably wouldn't allow it, just on game balance issues*. I would allow a mage with a good mix of skills to have a fighter follower as a defender, or a fighter to have a mage or Alchemist as a Contact (I'd lean more toward Contact, myself) or Follower. The thing to remember is that the Follower shouldn't be the primary focus, they are a supporting character.

JoeG

*Would the player be able to successfully play one character if the other was removed? Your post seems to imply, "probably not".

To me it seems the best way might be to give the mage some minor combat abilities, and have the warrior be the follower that typically just defends the mage and does the other manual labor for him. Plus the mage can still give combat orders to the warrior, it's just that everyone nearby can also hear the orders (unless he has a mind link spell with the warrior).

I generally treat followers like very loyal NPCs. I take control of them when plot or reason dictates. At the same time, I don't like to manage followers too closely and, insofar as the player is role-playing the follower in a sane manner, I let them pretty much direct them.