Bigger

Sean Waters

I'm building this character who can shapeshift, and I decided I wanted a spot of Growth in there too. Growth in 6e is very different from Growth in 5e - no longer the orderly procession - now a series of strange attractors.

So, what I was thinking was:

1. This character is supposed to be able to change size to anything from max to min, not just be one size of the other. I'm going for a maximum size of 'large', which is twice the dimensions of a normal character. What if I don't want to use all my growth? Simple - just pro-rate it...you think? Trouble is that the Growth costs 25 point and the benefits are in multiples of 1, 3 and 5...so pro-rating is not entirely easy - certainly not as easy as it was under 5e where you had the figures for every 5 point increase. Overall I think that the 6e version is an improvement - but it has reduced the granularity somewhat.

2. The height and weight for a 'large' character are 'up to 4m' and the weight '101-800kg' Does that mean I could have a 201cm, 101kg character who is fully 'grown' (presumably with long arms)? That seems to avoid pretty much all the disadvantages of growth.

3. I'm not sure on costing. 'Large' growth gives you 56 points of advantages and -2DCV, -2 on PER rolls - which is, what, 16 points of bad? Plus there are sort of side effect things (not being able to get through normal doors, into normal vehicles and such) and the whole thing costs END. So, let us add '0 END (+1/2)' and it costs 37 points. That is about right...roughly, I suppose...

Re: Bigger

1. This character is supposed to be able to change size to anything from max to min, not just be one size of the other.

Wait a minute....

Are you telling me that we've been playing Growth _wrong_ for touching on thirty years?! :eek: Seriously?

We always played it that you were using as much Growth as you were paying END for, period.

Wait a minute....

Are you telling me that we've been playing Growth _wrong_ for touching on thirty years?! :eek: Seriously?

We always played it that you were using as much Growth as you were paying END for, period.

No, not at all, but 6e does Growth differently: you have a series of set sizes, the first of which is 'Large', which is about twice the size of a normal character - what would have been 3 levels of growth under 5e, and that costs 25 points. There are no intermediate poionts noted int eh Core 6e rules and it is not entirely straightforward apportioning the bonus figures.

No' date=' not at all, but 6e does Growth differently: you have a series of set sizes, the first of which is 'Large', which is about twice the size of a normal character - what would have been 3 levels of growth under 5e, and that costs 25 points. There are no intermediate poionts noted int eh Core 6e rules and it is not entirely straightforward apportioning the bonus figures.[/quote']

While the breakpoints are now wider, I don't recall being able to activate Growth in increments less than 5 AP prior to 6e.

While the result is not very granular, the 6e approach seems more philosophically pure - here are the abilities granted by being this size; here is the accompanying limitation. Rather than buying Growth, one could certainly purchase the various abilities that the player and GM agree a certain size should grant can be purchased, with appropriate limitations, in any increments you want.

For the character who is able to grow to various increments, spend a few minutes and draft a chart of the intervening increments which you can then use in gameplay to quickly identify the bonuses and penalties at each incremental level of size change.

Maybe 7e can just scrap Growth, Shrinking and Denisty Increase entirely and suggest you build those characters with Multiform for their various differet sizes ;)

• 1 month later...

Maybe 7e can just scrap Growth' date=' Shrinking and Denisty Increase entirely and suggest you build those characters with Multiform for their various differet sizes ;)[/quote']I know you're joking, but I actually did this once as an experiment and I thought it worked pretty well. It was 5th and I just thought the math from the different levels of growth got sloppy, so I tried the multiform route.

I don't have 6th (yet) so I have no idea what growth and multiform look like there.