Postapocalytpic Antarctica (Problems/Questions)?

Vondy

Re: Postapocalytpic Antarctica (Problems/Questions)?

According to this article, 250 million years ago Antarctica had significant forests. And despite continental drift, at that time the continent was located approximately where it is now.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041101/leaves.html

Somewhere around here I have a piece of petrified wood from Antarctica that one of my dad's friends found...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating stuff, Vondy. :thumbup:

Have you considered the possibility that the cataclysm destroying human civilization might have been due to a massive increase of volcanic activity, or that vulcanism might have been a side effect of it? Antarctica has a couple of active volcanoes and several inactive ones, so much greater geological activity on the continent is certainly a possibility. Volcanic flows result in soil enrichment, which is one reason people keep living close to them. They can also produce obsidian, a very valuable tool-making material in cultures where metalworking is unknown or metals are scarce.

Another result could be widespread hot water springs and steam vents in several regions, similar to Iceland. As in that country they would be very helpful in heating the cavern dwellings you postulate for your civilization, or making above-ground homes more livable. They could also power some anachronistic technological survivals in parts of Antarctica, like steam engines, hydroponic farming, or even geothermal electricity generation, which is very commonly used in contemporary Iceland.

Another interesting possibility would be postcataclysmic geological shifts diverting the Antarctic Circumpolar Current which keeps warmer ocean waters away from Antarctica. That could justify a warmer climate on the continent without necessarily radically raising the temperature of the rest of the world. In fact, such a shift might bring a warm water current to part of the coast, similar to the Gulf Stream which ameliorates the climate of northwestern Europe.

All very cool ideas - and something to chew on.

• 1 year later...

Well, it has been over a year and I was curious if you had any updates, Vondy. This seemed like a really cool setting and I happened to be reminded of it recently.

Waiting to hear the good news. ^^

La Rose.

Very interesting thread - I can easily see a novel with this setting.

Just a little tidbit to add here: Jean Auel wrote a series of books set in the Ice Age. Clan of the Cave Bear (and the gawd awful movie rendition) are what most people remember, but there were six books. Great info on how people could have or did live back in that time. Unfortunately, it was equal parts anthropology and romance novel, and the romance drove me away after book 4. Book 3 is The Mammoth Hunters, and takes place on the Asian steppes near the edge of the glaciers. Lots of good info about living in a cold environment, although at a stone age level of technology. One of the interesting things I learned from that book is that bone can be burned as a fuel source, but that it takes lots of air. When constructing a permanent shelter, a small covered trench was made from the fire pit to outside. When the trench was unblocked, the constant winds would blow air in directly into the fire, which enabled the burning of bones. Doesn't help much if rabbit and such are the main food source, but if walrus and whale are regularly hunted, their could be enough bone to make this worthwhile, at least in coastal locations.