"I'm a Gamer, and HERO 6 Was MY Idea"

James Gillen

Post here if you had an idea for 6th Edition that Steve either already proposed in the original notes for 6E Discussion, or if that idea ended up in the final game once you proposed it.

In my case I can think of the Charm Skill, which basically takes the place of Seduction, only without the implied emphasis on sexual conquests. In a D&D-to-HERO 5th conversion I ran, one of my players thought that the Seduction skill would represent her character's ability to win people over, but at the same time she didn't see herself as getting sexually involved with anybody. Since there were games like TORG that had a more generically-applicable "Charm" skill, I had proposed that something similar would work for the new edition. I can't remember if I was responding to one of Steve's posts when I mentioned that case, but I do remember having the idea before 6th Edition was proposed.

JG

Re: "I'm a Gamer, and HERO 6 Was MY Idea"

I had posted a few comments on reducing the cost of STUN, END and REC prior to 6e, I suppose.

Are there any really unique ideas? A lot of 6e was likely someone's house rule at one time or another. So were prior edition changes, I expect.

I was all ready to take away independent items so any character that wanted to could get them in my game.

My players had a song once that went

Brick, Brick, Brick, Brick

I think the no figured characteristics may increase variation in build.

Sorry, but I'm shutting this down, right now.

To be crystal-clear: very, very few ideas in 6E came solely from one person. Good ideas rarely arise in a vacuum, and like any other small fan community the HERO System fanbase has a lot of cross-pollenation of ideas. On that basis alone, and aside from the fact that y'all don't have access to my full notes and ideas on any given subject, it's generally incorrect for anyone to claim sole credit for any given idea.

To take the example that started the thread: I'm pretty sure that many people had thoughts about changing "Seduction" to "Charm." The first person I remember specifically making that suggestion to me was Dave Mattingly, though I don't remember if it was several years ago or even further back during the 5E discussions before DOJ even existed.